91Ragnar is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Weight Gain on Cal Deficit

The past 3 weeks, I’ve been tracking my cal intake (myfitnesspal) and cal output (iwatch), as well as my weight and fat percentage (fitindex scale). My routine: 2 days of 500 cal deficit, 1 day of 0 cal deficit. I eat more than enough protein (160-220 gr daily), but don’t specifically go for a macro split.
    On a daily basis I lift weight (complex exercises, pushing it to my personal limits, incrementally adding) for 45min and 3 days per week 45-60min of cardio.
    I noticed my weight went from 82kg to 83kg, and my fat % go from 13.1% to 13.4%. From all the research I’ve done, it looks unlikely to build muscle in a cal deficit as I’ve been training for years (+6y). My goal is to shred fat, while preserving muscle. Would anyone having any experience/advice that could help me better understand/take action? Thanks!

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only sure fire way to know that you're in a deficit is to see visible and measurable weight loss. There is also no way to accurately measure your body fat (especially to the degree that you're talking), at least not without having an autopsy done and all your fat cut out of you and weighed (but you would of course need to be dead for that).

If you haven't seen any measurable weight loss in 3 weeks then you can be 100% positive of just one thing, that you are not in a calorie deficit.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If your weight is going up then you are not in a deficit, you are in a surplus.

Either your calorie tracking or your "output" from your watch (or possibly both) are wrong.

Based upon your weight gain, it sounds like you are eating about 400 calories a day over your maintenance level, so if you wat to have a 500 calorie deficit then you would need to eat about 900 calories less than you currently are on your deficit days.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    3 weeks, 1kg gain

That's still within the realms of water weight changes - but I still think it unlikely you are really in a deficit.

What is your calorie intake?

Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Rafabg has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I was eating so small that my body started to keep every calorie as fat. Probably you are experiencing the same. Try not to eat too small and instead focus on training muscle and do some walks in the night before sleeping, it helps a lot. Even if you train a lot, try to focus on not staying infront of computer a lot of time if possible.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Rafabg View Post
    I was eating so small that my body started to keep every calorie as fat.
    This doesn't happen. It's a myth.

Sometimes you can retain water due to excessive calorie deficit - the stress caused by this causes water retention which fools weighing

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As above, if you are genuinely gaining weight you are not in a calorie deficit. No ifs and buts. Adjust your calories

However you need to have good practice when weighing yourself. Weigh every morning, after waking up, after a piss but BEFORE you consume any food or any liquid.

The difference between this point in the day and the end of the day can easily be 1-2kg. If you have weighed yourself in the morning the first time and after dinner the second time then there is no way to tell if you've lost or gained weight (think even a pint of water weighs well over 1lb)

Also weighing every day allows you to keep an eye on the running trend and account for fluctuations. Choosing two random days over the course of weeks gives you a less accurate picture as you cannot spot the moving average amongst fluctuations.

Just to second SP's comment, ignore anyone who tells your their body has 'hoarded fat' or they've entered 'starvation mode'. The only time your body hoards fat is when you over-eat. The whole point of fat is to be burned when you don't have sufficient food, not to be hung onto by the body until you die of starvation.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, you can "bank" on the fact that your iwatch is likely (fairly significantly) overstating your calorie burn.

If you are not WEIGHING everything that goes into your mouth, you are also likely under counting your caloric input...

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 91Ragnar View Post
    I noticed my weight went from 82kg to 83kg
    Weight change is the only way to define a surplus/deficit/maintenance diet. Every tool you can think of is simply an indirect (and imperfect) way of making that determination.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fat loss is relatively straight forward compared to building. Burn more calories than consumed = loss, and vice versa. You're trying to ignore this fact by blaming it on a metabolic adaptation, when in reality it seems you're just eating close to maintenance or in a slight surplus.

Here's a challenge. For two weeks straight, weigh everything and track your weight daily, every morning, same circumstances. Do this a tee and come back and report your results. It sounds like you are sloppy with your tracking and exercise expenditure estimate, and wanting to attribute your lack of success to something else.

Good news is, once you figure this out, your anxieties or worries about if you are doing things right will disappear, and the results you are looking for will start to appear.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama