anonymous

The arms legs and no torso look!

I am on around work out 55 - building numbers up on Press Ups. And firming up slowly the busoms.

I do

Squats
    Press up
    Ring Rows

Every other day - so full body programme - I am oldish and have no equipment.

A lot of the Cross Fit Community have that nice massive arms and legs and tiny body in the middle look which I tend to prefer over my stick-out-budgie-70s chest.

Should I reduce numbers of one of the above and introduce some military press or replace press-ups - or will press up variations be fine to continue?

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why bother? If you can do 55 push ups why do you want to do 60? or 65 or ... A different approach is to keep the reps within some range (e.g
    5-20) and gradually increase the resistance as you progress. Imagine you're doing bench press (instead of pushups) would you keep an empty bar and just go for more and more reps and yet more reps , or would you add weight?

If you can do 55 pushups, you've made great progress. Now do diamond pushups. Make the tips of your thumbs and index finger touch leaving a kite/diamond shaped gap. Do pushups like that. It will be a lot harder, way harder and your numbers will go right down. As long as you can do 5 perfect form ones or more, then you should be doing diamond pushups. When you can build up over time to do sets of 20 of diamonds then you need to progress the resistance again by going back to normal pushups and placing something like a small sized kids soccer ball under one hand (alternate after each set)

Next thing to think about, why are we talking about just push-ups? Consider training the body in a balanced manner. Take a read of this article about exactly that
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...-strength.html

Enjoy...

anonymous
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Why bother? If you can do 55 push ups why do you want to do 60? or 65 or ... A different approach is to keep the reps within some range (e.g
    5-20) and gradually increase the resistance as you progress. Imagine you're doing bench press (instead of pushups) would you keep an empty bar and just go for more and more reps and yet more reps , or would you add weight?

If you can do 55 pushups, you've made great progress. Now do diamond pushups. Make the tips of your thumbs and index finger touch leaving a kite/diamond shaped gap. Do pushups like that. It will be a lot harder, way harder and your numbers will go right down. As long as you can do 5 perfect form ones or more, then you should be doing diamond pushups. When you can build up over time to do sets of 20 of diamonds then you need to progress the resistance again by going back to normal pushups and placing something like a small sized kids soccer ball under one hand (alternate after each set)

Next thing to think about, why are we talking about just push-ups? Consider training the body in a balanced manner. Take a read of this article about exactly that
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...-strength.html

Enjoy...
    Wow what an amazing post!!!!!!

Wow!

Yeh i do bring hands in closer and closer on press ups and started lowering numbers and adding weight on squats with ez bar.

Yes the pike! Thinking what I can purchase for garage that will do that. Great idea! Park bench might be a start.