BigGriff85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Searching for a plan that covers a lot.

Looking for more of a long-term plan here. Doesn't have to be an exact plan, but I've been failing at this for 4 years.

I always bulk and get stronger, but lose my endurance. Then I cut and improve my endurance, but I lose my strength.

I want to a program that will help me build mass slowly, and improve endurance as well. Here's what I want, basically:

1. Improve strength in weightlifting
    2. Improve calisthenics
    3. Improve run time with any race under 5 miles.
    4. Improve push-ups and ab work as well.

When I focus too hard on bench and stuff, my push-ups go down the drain. When I focus on push-ups, my bench goes down the drain. It's terrible, I am wildly inconsistent because I just can't seem to gain anything. Whenever I try and better one thing, I lose another thing.

I am 6'3", 205 by the way. I would like to lose fat and gain muscle, but gain weight overall. I am going to be a 2LT in the army fairly soon, hence why I want to improve run times and calisthenics. I wouldn't mind being 215lbs if I could run very well.

Is there a balance?

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigGriff85 View Post
    Looking for more of a long-term plan here. Doesn't have to be an exact plan, but I've been failing at this for 4 years.

I always bulk and get stronger, but lose my endurance. Then I cut and improve my endurance, but I lose my strength.

I want to a program that will help me build mass slowly, and improve endurance as well. Here's what I want, basically:

1. Improve strength in weightlifting
    2. Improve calisthenics
    3. Improve run time with any race under 5 miles.
    4. Improve push-ups and ab work as well.

When I focus too hard on bench and stuff, my push-ups go down the drain. When I focus on push-ups, my bench goes down the drain. It's terrible, I am wildly inconsistent because I just can't seem to gain anything. Whenever I try and better one thing, I lose another thing.

I am 6'3", 205 by the way. I would like to lose fat and gain muscle, but gain weight overall. I am going to be a 2LT in the army fairly soon, hence why I want to improve run times and calisthenics. I wouldn't mind being 215lbs if I could run very well.

Is there a balance?
    You'd be better off being 195 pounds and running even better and doing even more pullups as a young army officer. You arent going to get graded on bench pressing in teh army, you will on pushups an deadlifts however.

My advice to you is look into any number of tactical programming plans. Tactical barbell is good, Mountain Tactical's website as a ton as well.

You will lose some top end strength, but it wont be that much, and you can make great gains in endurance that will help you set your professional reputation early.

If you are going combat arms, you need to prepping for Ranger School now. A tabbed combat arms officer automtacially starts in the "in crowd", without it peple will second guess you for the next 20 years.

Once you get through all that entry level training you can put some muscle mass back on, which will be easier than you think.

Best of luck and remember you only get one chance to start your Army career with positive momemtum. And setting a PR on the bench aint it

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    do you mean weightlifting or just general lifting?

snatch and clean and jerk, or just usual compound lifts?

I can't help with the former, if it's the latter I would take a 3 day full body general strength set up, I would work the calisthenic in with this set up mostly.
    I would utilize 2 GPP days focussed on lighter calisthenics and HIIT or LISS ( 1 each day probably) and possibly one other LISS day.

This is just an overview and not a program such it needs intensity protocols, fatigue management, periodisation or emerging strategies.

D1
    Squat
    RDL
    Bench
    Row

D2
    Weighted Dips
    Front Squats/SSB/2ct pause
    Db Bench

D3
    Deadlift
    Press
    Lunges/BSS
    Weighted Push ups

GPP 2x (insert days when it feels appropriate)
    Upper Back (chins/pull ups mostly for you)
    Rear Delts
    Opt hams/glutes/plyo
    HIIT or LISS

1 extra LISS day (can be on a lift day).
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BigGriff85 View Post

You should not be gaining more than 2 pounds a MONTH when bulking. There is no reason to get fat and lose endurance during a CONTROLLED bulk of 2 pounds a month.

Yes, you'll still need to eventually cut, because you will gain some fat, but doing it in a reasonably cotrolled manner will put you in control.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    You'd be better off being 195 pounds and running even better and doing even more pullups as a young army officer. You arent going to get graded on bench pressing in teh army, you will on pushups an deadlifts however.

My advice to you is look into any number of tactical programming plans. Tactical barbell is good, Mountain Tactical's website as a ton as well.

You will lose some top end strength, but it wont be that much, and you can make great gains in endurance that will help you set your professional reputation early.

If you are going combat arms, you need to prepping for Ranger School now. A tabbed combat arms officer automtacially starts in the "in crowd", without it peple will second guess you for the next 20 years.

Once you get through all that entry level training you can put some muscle mass back on, which will be easier than you think.

Best of luck and remember you only get one chance to start your Army career with positive momemtum. And setting a PR on the bench aint it
    That makes sense. I do need to prep for ranger school, because my plan is to come back to the 82nd.

I just don't wanna look like a skinny dude. I want big arms and a nice chest along with being able to run fast and maxing bodyweight stuff.

Are you saying to focus on running and bodyweight-type stuff until I get really good at it, then start adding strength stuff?

Perhaps I'll change my workouts. So far it has been:

Upper Body W/Weights 3X a Week
    Lower Body W/Weights 2X a Week (My legs heal slower than arms)
    Back W/ Weights 1X a Week

Run sometimes. (During the summer, we have PT at the 'del)
    My run is definitely lacking. I'm not failing, but I'm closer to failing than maxing and I am trying to go combat arms.

The main thing keeping me on the weights is just that I don't want to lose the little bit of muscle I do have and get thrown back to my high school days of maxing 165lbs on bench, and then everyone can walk all over me cause I'm weak af but can run like Forrest Gump.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you cant run, you wont get your tab.
    Without at tab, no one will give a **** about your bench press.

Please go back and read my post. Doint a tactical prep program doesnt mean you quit lifting.\

And keep in mind when you get tested, it probably wont be under idle circumastances. So if you are close to failing when tested you will probably fail.

A good goal to shoot for is the Ranger 5 mile. You run the first two miles under 13, and the entire 5 miles under 40, you will be fine.

That usually means training for a 10k time around 45.

I could do that in my upper 30s and still do 20 pullups and deadlift over 400. Didnt spend a lot of time bench pressing or squatting though. And I wouldnt have made it through ranger School.

Again, endurance is almsot everything until you get through all your training.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    If you cant run, you wont get your tab.
    Without at tab, no one will give a **** about your bench press.

Please go back and read my post. Doint a tactical prep program doesnt mean you quit lifting.\

And keep in mind when you get tested, it probably wont be under idle circumastances. So if you are close to failing when tested you will probably fail.

A good goal to shoot for is the Ranger 5 mile. You run the first two miles under 13, and the entire 5 miles under 40, you will be fine.

That usually means training for a 10k time around 45.

I could do that in my upper 30s and still do 20 pullups and deadlift over 400. Didnt spend a lot of time bench pressing or squatting though. And I wouldnt have made it through ranger School.

Again, endurance is almsot everything until you get through all your training.
    I appreciate it. I need to sit down and map out the best exercises to aim for:

1. Better Cardio
    2. Run, run, run
    3. Pullups, push-ups, dips, etc.
    4. Deadlift, Squat (I find squat helps me a lot with running)
    5. Anything I can make room for. I'll post here again after this research into tactical workout plans.

Thank you man. Gotta get my priorities straight and stop worrying about the big arms and chest.