Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ripptoe (his writings) helped me break a sticking point on my deads at 6 plates. His advice is HARDLY for beginners only. Anyway, he wrote in great detail about the deadlift and 'proper' form. "PROPER" being defined by the individual and it's definition all focused on simple premises.

When I finally stopped trying to force my hips down and just learned to pull the way my body wanted to pull, I not only broke my barrier but over the next 6 months added 50+ lbs to my lift.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
    He's an ass.

However, if you listen to his critics, they all seem to forget that the program is called, "Starting Strength." He gets a lot of heat for his coaching on a couple of lifts but he gets that heat from people who have been lifting for 15 years. Everyone knows that a guy with a decade of lifting under his belt is going to develop advanced techniques that have no place in a book called, "Starting Strength".

Another key point that people miss is that Starting Strength is specifically designed to improve performance and prevent injury in other sports. It is not a program focused on making you good a deadlifting, its designed to make you good at hitting the offensive tackle so hard that you knock him on his ass. There's a big difference. If your goal is to get strong just for the sake of being strong then there are many better programs.
    That's a good assessment.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Misc Blood Drive: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175220881

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    That's a good assessment.
    I agree too.

I'm fed of of people moaning that "Starting Strength" is suboptimal for intermediates, or not good run long term, or it's not the best bodybuilding program, or a big list of other silly comments. There are plenty of sensible criticisms, but they are often obscured under all these silly ones
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorwichGrad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LMAO.

I've known Rip to be a Libertarian for a long time. Don't be afraid of right wingers. They are generally harmless. They just want to be left alone.

The problem is statists in general - both liberals and conservatives - who use gubmint as the monopoly of force to push their views down other people's throat.

You can be as liberal as you want. If you're a dood and wanna sleep with other men, go for it. Just don't cry racism when you catch AIDS.

You can be as conservative as you want. If you are a Christian fundamentalist go for it. Just don't force others to accept Jesus as Savior.

Because of all these illegal laws and gubmint overreach resulting from nuthugging statists, those who just want to be left alone - like Rip - are getting pissed. And rightfully so.

Libertarianism / Anarchism is where it's at. All of your freedom. All of the time.
    Last edited by NorwichGrad; 07-06-2020 at 08:27 AM.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have his books, I respect his detailed knowledge and how he would prefer to apply it, I learned a few things from him (except the jump part in the clean...which does not work for me)

That being said however I would not want to spend a 3 hour car ride with him.
    Strength + Cardio + Proprioception = dominance

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    That being said however I would not want to spend a 3 hour car ride with him.
    I'd like to drive him somewhere for 3 hours, I think I'd learn a lot and maybe enjoy some of the conversation. Agree though it's likely after 3 hours of him, getting there, I'd probably refuse to drive him back

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Cantplankwell View Post
    I have his books
    The first edition of Starting Strength had this in the second chapter: "If you don't Deadlift you're a Pu$$Y."

That was quickly recalled by the publisher, I had an original copy in my hands at one point through interlibrary loan, I should have kept it and paid whatever it cost to replace it. Finding that first edition now is like finding the ark of the covenant.
    Bro with mattbro95

***Dirty South Crew***

Post Workout Commando Crew

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    The first edition of Starting Strength had this in the second chapter: "If you don't Deadlift you're a Pu$$Y."

That was quickly recalled by the publisher, I had an original copy in my hands at one point through interlibrary loan, I should have kept it and paid whatever it cost to replace it. Finding that first edition now is like finding the ark of the covenant.
    I recall that he said this in a T Nation article talking about lifting form:

"Interestingly, all the women can do it perfectly. I don't even ask to see them demonstrate this position – not because I'm leery of an inappropriate-behavior accusation (although this has happened, funny story, I'll tell you sometime). I don't ask because I've never met a female who couldn't immediately, and with pride, produce a voluntary lumbar extension.

It's a normal posture for any woman not swaddled in a burqa, a display position learned when they're young. The biggest problem with many women is an exaggeration of the arch into overextension, which is probably a worse position than flexion under load"

He just speaks his mind and does not give two figs what you think.
    Strength + Cardio + Proprioception = dominance

Agree he's a straight talker. Surprised, disappointed maybe, that his publisher managed to make him remove that DL comment

That's also something I like about Jim Wendler, he also gives his opinion, undiluted as he sees it

Edit: this doesn't necessarily mean I agree with all their opinions
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Agree he's a straight talker. Surprised, disappointed maybe, that his publisher managed to make him remove that DL comment
    I don't think it was up to him.

If you get nothing else out of RIP, just remember the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Applies to the big 3, but especially the squat. Any bar path that variates from a straight line is a waste of effort.
    Bro with mattbro95

***Dirty South Crew***

Post Workout Commando Crew