rpclarke94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skinny Fat - Not sure whether to lose or gain weight

Hey guys,

I'm 25, 6ft and weigh about 75kg. For several years I've had a pot belly whether im bigger or skinnier. I'm already fairly skinny and would like to gain muscle (ultimate goal is about 90kg, 15% body fat) but every time I gain weight my gut gets bigger, and if I lose even more weight I'm just going to be even skinnier and I still have a fat gut. I'ts weird cause I can actually see the top 2 abs when I tense, but it's still bulging. I'm really not sure what to do, at the moment I eat about 2000 calories a day with lots of protein, relatively low amounts of healthy fats and reasonably low carbs which are mostly wholewheat.

Like most people I'm not gyming at the moment, just doing stuff like pushups, pullups etc at home for about half hour a day. I'm debating whether to buy some weights for home but I'm not sure if I should carry on and maybe lose even more weight or try and get bigger, and if so what kind of calories should I be aiming for? What's the best thing for me to do to reach 85-90kg around 15-18% body fat and no pot belly?

Thanks for your help.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rpclarke94 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm 25, 6ft and weigh about 75kg. For several years I've had a pot belly whether im bigger or skinnier. I'm already fairly skinny and would like to gain muscle (ultimate goal is about 90kg, 15% body fat) but every time I gain weight my gut gets bigger, and if I lose even more weight I'm just going to be even skinnier and I still have a fat gut. I'ts weird cause I can actually see the top 2 abs when I tense, but it's still bulging. I'm really not sure what to do, at the moment I eat about 2000 calories a day with lots of protein, relatively low amounts of healthy fats and reasonably low carbs which are mostly wholewheat.

Like most people I'm not gyming at the moment, just doing stuff like pushups, pullups etc at home for about half hour a day. I'm debating whether to buy some weights for home but I'm not sure if I should carry on and maybe lose even more weight or try and get bigger, and if so what kind of calories should I be aiming for? What's the best thing for me to do to reach 85-90kg around 15-18% body fat and no pot belly?

Thanks for your help.
    1. Without a picture there is no way that we can do anything but guess as to whether you are "skinny-fat" or just "fat" and should bulk or cut.

2. For someone 6' tall to be at 200 pounds and 15% BF would mean that they had roughly 170 pounds of lean mass on their frame which while possible is generally something that requires several years (5+) of hard work, proper nutrition and serious weight training in the gym. So you will require access to a full gym and hundreds of pounds of free weights (whether that is with a several year membership to a public gym or something you build up to over time at home is up to you).
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Sorry I should have uploaded photos. I have now.

Maybe 15% is a bit low then, closer to 20% perhaps. I want to look reasonably lean at around 90kg with some faint abs showing, something that I can manage with a healthy diet but eat the occasional piece of cake and have a drink from time to time.
    Attached Images

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry I should have uploaded photos. I have now.

Maybe 15% is a bit low then, closer to 20% perhaps. I want to look reasonably lean at around 90kg with some faint abs showing, something that I can manage with a healthy diet but eat the occasional piece of cake and have a drink from time to time.
    Body dysmorphia - you're not skinny-fat and look much better than you described. Putting on muscle is a good goal for you, though. Getting weights would be ideal, but short of that, here's a link with ideas for bodyweight training.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.str...om/no-gym/amp/

You think?

Well thanks anyway, always appreciate a compliment haha. What sort of diet should I go for in terms of calories then to put on muscle? I really don't want to get a fatter gut as I put on weight.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You aren't "fat".

You need to put muscle on and learn how to train your Abs so that you aren't distending them like you are in the picture. Typically it is an issue with poor posture + a weak lower back and abdominal muscles.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Definitely bulk. You may carry more fat than you'd like (which is like 90% of us) but you're not fat by most measures.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Add muscle
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You think?

Well thanks anyway, always appreciate a compliment haha. What sort of diet should I go for in terms of calories then to put on muscle? I really don't want to get a fatter gut as I put on weight.
    Shoot for a surplus of 250 calories while consistently resistance training - at least half of the gains should be muscle. You'll need to cut to lose fat eventually, but try to bulk for at least 4 months, gaining 2lb per month.