DarioWestern is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking Need to lose 33kg

Hi all,

My name is Dario and I am from Brisbane in Australia.

I have been working out on and off since 1986, but this year I need to lose weight as I am turning 50 at the end of this year and my doctor has informed me that I have got a 33% chance of developing diabetes in my later years.

I currently weigh in at 113.8kg at present, and was told that my ideal weight is somewhere between 80 - 85kg as I am 6'0" tall.

At the moment, I cannot afford to join a gym and have been offered to use a friend's gym in her apartment, so I will take her up on that.

If anybody can give me some advice on what would be the best exercises to do, I will be very glad. Currently, I am walking for 1 hour each day and would like to muster up the energy to be able to do running once I've lost some weight.

Thanks all for your attention and hope to make some new friends in here.
    "No routine works unless YOU do!"

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Working out is of course important - but it will be secondary to calorie control - because that's what actually causes fat loss...

Have a read of the "basics" thread in the Fat Loss forum (marked as "sticky:" at the top of the page).

You'll need to get an app like myfitnesspal and start using that to control your calorie intake. Perhaps start at around 2000 calories and see how you go.

As for a routine, let us know what equipment you have access to. Most precanned routines we recommend use barbells and dumbbells but machines can be used to in a pinch.

Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Seanbroadie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All the money you're going to save now that you're not buying excess food will be enough to get you a gym membership.

Lifting weights won't help you lose weight (it will a tiny bit). You should find some cardio you enjoy doing and do that as much as you can. For example I really like walking.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Seanbroadie View Post
    Lifting weights won't help you lose weight (it will a tiny bit). You should find some cardio you enjoy doing and do that as much as you can. For example I really like walking.
    This is bad advice. The point of lifting weights when trying to cut weight is to protect from muscle loss (and maybe even gain some muscle.)

If you cut weight without lifting (whether doing cardio or not) you just be a smaller version of your currently plump/round self - with a higher body fat percentage than you would have if you were lifting. It's about BODY COMPOSITION and you need to be lifting weights to optimize that.

If you want to do some cardio (it's good for your heart) do it. But you NEED to lift weights.

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Working out is of course important - but it will be secondary to calorie control - because that's what actually causes fat loss...

Have a read of the "basics" thread in the Fat Loss forum (marked as "sticky:" at the top of the page).

You'll need to get an app like myfitnesspal and start using that to control your calorie intake. Perhaps start at around 2000 calories and see how you go.

As for a routine, let us know what equipment you have access to. Most precanned routines we recommend use barbells and dumbbells but machines can be used to in a pinch.
    ^^^^^^^ Please read this a second time
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Mate, Download Myfitnesspal,strong and happy scale. Only 3 apps you need. read the nutrition sticky thread. Pick a program from the stickies if you don't know how to create one or pick one that you can stick with, hitting body parts twice a week. Calories in vs calories out is all that matters. I lost 10kgs in 6-7 months doing that last year. Don't belive me, search the threads I made LOL!

DarioWestern is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll definitely get in on it, and keep a track of it. :-)
    "No routine works unless YOU do!"