Thread: Bulking help

JaredDAnderson is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bulking help

I'm 20, 6’0, only weighing 135 lb.

I'm trying to get on a 3000 calorie diet to gain weight. The supplements I have are serious mass optimum nutrition and gold standard whey. The issue is want abs while I'm bulking. So Im looking to lean bulk, but how many grams of fat should be my maximum? I really want abs and a lean body so I don't want to look fat. If anyone could give me a meal plan too, that would be great. I know what foods are good to eat, but my protein intake is either too high or my fat intake is too high. Also, is consuming 500+ carbs bad for what I'm trying to accomplish?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JaredDAnderson View Post
    The issue is want abs while I'm bulking. plish?
    This right here is a red flag.

When I started bulking I had your EXACT stats... 6 foot, and 130-135lb.

I am still extremely skinny, and I got that way due to an eating disorder.

Given your height, I highly suspect this was the case for you, simply because it would be nearly impossible to function normally at that BMI unless you were forcing it.

So first off, did you or DO YOU have an eating or body image disorder?

Either way, you need FORGET ABOUT YOUR ABS... just totally forget them.

I'm not saying this because you 'need to get fat', im saying this because your biggest hurdle is going to be a mental one... you need to reframe your priorities from caring about leanness to focusing on performance and strength.

There is no maximum fat intake, there is no maximum carb intake, etc... you simply need to get .7g+ of protein per pound of bodyweight or more, and at least .4g+ of fat per pound of bodyweight, which should be easy for you.

beyond that, just make sure you're averaging .5lb+ gained on average each week or more in the short term, and get on a good lifting program.

EAT... GROW... and if you ever, EVER feel hungry, eat more... I don't care if you think your precious abs will go away... you need to change your mindset.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 06-30-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

I understand, that makes sense. I guess I am too focused on getting abs. I will no longer worry about my intake of fats, carbs, etc, but I still will consume healthy fats as I assume that's still quite important? The thing is I have no problem bulking, but I also hate eating very u healthy, not because it makes my body look bad, but due to the fact that I have more energy when I do.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I understand, that makes sense. I guess I am too focused on getting abs. I will no longer worry about my intake of fats, carbs, etc, but I still will consume healthy fats as I assume that's still quite important? The thing is I have no problem bulking, but I also hate eating very u healthy, not because it makes my body look bad, but due to the fact that I have more energy when I do.
    If you want to eat whole / unprocessed foods, that's totally fine... you just need to ensure you're eating enough total calories to gain weight.

That being said, you say you have 'no problem bulking'... but, here we are talking about it and your fear of fat.

Make natural peanut butter your best friend.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

[QUOTE=AdamWW;1609247361]If you want to eat whole / unprocessed foods, that's totally fine... you just need to ensure you're eating enough total calories to gain weight.

Makes sense, thanks man. So 3000+ should be enough correct?

[QUOTE=JaredDAnderson;1609247501]
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    If you want to eat whole / unprocessed foods, that's totally fine... you just need to ensure you're eating enough total calories to gain weight.

Makes sense, thanks man. So 3000+ should be enough correct?
    I have no idea if it's correct because I don't know how much energy you need to grow... if that amount of calories gives you enough energy to train hard, get stronger, and gain the weight I mentioned, then yeah, that's fine.

You need to test it out yourself.

That's somewhere near where I started, but i'm also 35 and not 20... i general eat somewhere between 3000-3300 depending on how active I am... which varies day to day. But I don't really track my intake because my hunger is pretty well regulated toward what I need to eat.

steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000) steve447 is a name known to all. (+5000)

I'm trying to get on a 3000 calorie diet to gain weight. The supplements I have are serious mass optimum nutrition and gold standard whey. The issue is want abs while I'm bulking. So Im looking to lean bulk, but how many grams of fat should be my maximum? I really want abs and a lean body so I don't want to look fat. If anyone could give me a meal plan too, that would be great. I know what foods are good to eat, but my protein intake is either too high or my fat intake is too high. Also, is consuming 500+ carbs bad for what I'm trying to accomplish?
    At your weight stop worrying about abs and being lean and just eat cause u need to gain more weight

[QUOTE=AdamWW;1609247571]

I have no idea if it's correct because I don't know how much energy you need to grow... if that amount of calories gives you enough energy to train hard, get stronger, and gain the weight I mentioned, then yeah, that's fine.

You need to test it out yourself.

That's somewhere near where I started, but i'm also 35 and not 20... i general eat somewhere between 3000-3300 depending on how active I am... which varies day to day. But I don't really track my intake because my hunger is pretty well regulated toward what I need to eat.
    Alright sounds good!! Thanks again for you help. I really needed that mindset changed

Originally Posted by steve447 View Post
    At your weight stop worrying about abs and being lean and just eat cause u need to gain more weight
    Yeah my goal weight is 160 rn so shouldn’t be too difficult

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yeah, what they said OP. your whole post is also a red flag because you said things like "abs while bulking" and "maximum fat", as if you had read some bs broscience articles

Yeah my goal weight is 160 rn so shouldn’t be too difficult
    I recommend not setting a weight goal... just eat and grow.

160 at 6 foot is still very lean/light for people who train heavy in the gym.

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    This right here is a red flag.

When I started bulking I had your EXACT stats... 6 foot, and 130-135lb.

I am still extremely skinny, and I got that way due to an eating disorder.

Given your height, I highly suspect this was the case for you, simply because it would be nearly impossible to function normally at that BMI unless you were forcing it.

So first off, did you or DO YOU have an eating or body image disorder?

Either way, you need FORGET ABOUT YOUR ABS... just totally forget them.

I'm not saying this because you 'need to get fat', im saying this because your biggest hurdle is going to be a mental one... you need to reframe your priorities from caring about leanness to focusing on performance and strength.

There is no maximum fat intake, there is no maximum carb intake, etc... you simply need to get .7g+ of protein per pound of bodyweight or more, and at least .4g+ of fat per pound of bodyweight, which should be easy for you.

beyond that, just make sure you're averaging .5lb+ gained on average each week or more in the short term, and get on a good lifting program.

EAT... GROW... and if you ever, EVER feel hungry, eat more... I don't care if you think your precious abs will go away... you need to change your mindset.
    This. Most people will never gain an appreciable ammount of muscle without losing abs at some point.

Losing bodyfat is simple, don't sacrifice muscle gain because of a little fat

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, you will ALWAYS underdevelop and leave gains on the gym floor if you focus on "keeping" abs...

Originally Posted by jk202 View Post
    This. Most people will never gain an appreciable ammount of muscle without losing abs at some point.

Losing bodyfat is simple, don't sacrifice muscle gain because of a little fat
    Yup... losing fat is just a math equation.

Gaining muscle and strength takes planning, hard work, and years of consistency.