oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad

Deloading Properly

I've hit the wall on the barbell row (70kg) and the overhead press (52.5kg) and I can't seem to push past these amounts no matter how many times I deload. Am I doing it wrong? Once I fail to hit 5x3 in a session I'll take 10kg off for the next session and slowly build up by adding 2.5kg each session. I try to do each compound lift 2x a week. Still once I reach these ceilings I can't seem to get past them. I've done it 4 or 5 times now and it's frustrating. Any advice on pushing heavier?

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try a program like 531 where you hit the main lifts once a week.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by oaktownabroad View Post
    Once I fail to hit 5x3 in a session I'll take 10kg off for the next session and slowly build up by adding 2.5kg each session.
    This is not deloading. In a deload, you reduce training stress to recover from accumulated fatigue and then you continue progressing from the same weights as before.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What's your whole program? What are your numbers for squat, DL, and bench? Are you eating enough? 5x3 = 5 sets of 3 reps, correct?
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad oaktownabroad
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    What's your whole program? What are your numbers for squat, DL, and bench? Are you eating enough? 5x3 = 5 sets of 3 reps, correct?
    I try to do six days a week. Legs on Sunday/Thursday, Back and Chest Monday/Friday and Shoulders and Arms Tuesday/Saturday. Wednesday is rest day.

Squat is 95kg and still increasing each time by 2.5kg. DL is 120kg and also increasing 2.5kg. Bench is 75kg and still increasing 2.5kg. Yeah its 5 sets of 3.

Eating wise I have a bulletproof coffee for breakfast, a normal lunch and then a big dinner after workout about half the time with some wine. Trying to minimize carbs recently but not sure if that helps or hurts.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by oaktownabroad View Post
    I try to do six days a week. Legs on Sunday/Thursday, Back and Chest Monday/Friday and Shoulders and Arms Tuesday/Saturday. Wednesday is rest day.

Squat is 95kg and still increasing each time by 2.5kg. DL is 120kg and also increasing 2.5kg. Bench is 75kg and still increasing 2.5kg. Yeah its 5 sets of 3.

Eating wise I have a bulletproof coffee for breakfast, a normal lunch and then a big dinner after workout about half the time with some wine. Trying to minimize carbs recently but not sure if that helps or hurts.
    Probably you need more protein and/or calories each day. Strong coffee doesn't have much of either, but your muscles and body need both to grow. You might also do better dropping shoulders/arms and changing your program to an Upper-Lower. With the weight you're lifting, there shouldn't normally be a problem if you're eating enough and programming for balance & recovery.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000)
    always working with heavy compounds hitting each muscle twice per week would gas the hell out of my cns in no time. Depending on how close to failure on the last two reps of each 5 rep set I was going. If it was always a grind on every set, personalty I'd need to go longer before hitting it again. It's only supposed to be a grind on the last couple of reps of the last set right? And also for this type of training food is a priority. If not in a surplus of calories would be a waste of time. For me, not sticking to a good diet has been my downfall on progress.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A lot of good advise from the above ^^^ posts.
    First i would change up your programing if your stalled or recycle and start at a light weight say 50% of your max and slowly progress again.
    If you keep pushing and pushing heavier you come to a stall point(which you have)and everyone does when training for strength.
    If you train two days on the same lift make the other day a light/practice day with really good technique but not weight that will trash you.
    You could also train a different but same type movement like say DB over head presses or DB rows.
    Start recording your diet every day with what you eat all macros and calories with special attention to protein intake.
    Try taking in one gram of protein per pound bodyweight.
    When you have it written on paper you can see exactly what your eating and be more accountable.
    Get proper rest if possible eight hours of sleep.
    Take a day or two a week off with active rest like a long walk or something similar no weights.
    Good luck.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. You haven't been doing a deload, you've been basically doing resets.

2. You probably need more recovery time and/or more calories(protein) in your system to proceed further.

3. Sleep may also play into it. If you aren't getting enough good, solid, sleep each night it limits your body's ability to recover from the accumulated lifting stress. 8+ hours of sack time is almost required for some people.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Thanks for all the advice. I’ll try eating more for breakfast and adding more protein and see if that helps. If it’s still not working I’ll try 5/3/1. Hope to get some more strength before year end!