Hakumei94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Super new, obese and wanting to improve.(serious replies only please)

Hi guys. I was looking through some of the workouts, trying to find some things I'd be able to do to lose some of this weight and It's really upsetting for me. I have a really bad back so push-ups, planks and doing anything on a hard surface that I have to lie on my back for really hurts. Walking long distances also hurts my hips and back too.
    I had been going swimming once a week and doing dance classes despite the pain twice a week before COVID hit and had gotten down to about 18.46 stone. I've ended up putting back on about 1.1 and I'm just so fed up. I need to do something.
    I'm embarrassed my family might catch me working out though but I'm hoping with any suggestions you guys have, I can lose weight a bit quicker coz I know I can do this!
    Dancing starts back tomorrow so that'll help but I need some other stuff to help replace the swimming and once it's back, to add on top of my usual stuff.
    When I started seriously trying to lose weight, I was around 21stone.
    I'm currently 19.5 stone. I'm 5'7" and I'm 25.

Any and all help or ideas you guys have is greatly appreciated coz It's so disheartening to know my own body is preventing me from doing the exercises I need to to strengthen the sore places.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should read the stickies in the Nutrition forum since eating at a consistent calorie deficit is the most important thing you need to be doing if you're looking to lose weight.

Working out will help you burn some additional cals, and will help you get healthy and build muscle depending on what you choose to do. You can read the stickies on the Workout forum page for some good routines, but you'd need to decide what you can and cannot do.

Most of your exercises seem cardio focused, and that's fine. Given your limitations, I suggest adding biking (outdoors or stationary) since that should give you better benefits than walking without the pain.

Given your weight, I'd run your exercise routine by your doctor and make sure you don't have any underlying health issues.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I second the above by air2fakie, you need to understand that weight loss comes from creating a calorie deficit, which is 100% related to eating and not exercise. You can't "out-train" bad nutrition, so no matter what exercises you do if you're still eating too much you will never lose weight. That being said, just moving more will provide more daily calorie burn. It doesn't even need to be strenuous, you just need to find something you can do to stay active on a regular basis. Swimming once a week isn't going to cut it, you need to ensure you're moving more every single day.

Please check out the stickies in the Fat Loss and Nutrition forum, and post there if you have any specific questions.

Good luck!
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100) Konsed is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Hakumei94 View Post
    Hi guys. I was looking through some of the workouts, trying to find some things I'd be able to do to lose some of this weight and It's really upsetting for me. I have a really bad back so push-ups, planks and doing anything on a hard surface that I have to lie on my back for really hurts. Walking long distances also hurts my hips and back too.
    I had been going swimming once a week and doing dance classes despite the pain twice a week before COVID hit and had gotten down to about 18.46 stone. I've ended up putting back on about 1.1 and I'm just so fed up. I need to do something.
    I'm embarrassed my family might catch me working out though but I'm hoping with any suggestions you guys have, I can lose weight a bit quicker coz I know I can do this!
    Dancing starts back tomorrow so that'll help but I need some other stuff to help replace the swimming and once it's back, to add on top of my usual stuff.
    When I started seriously trying to lose weight, I was around 21stone.
    I'm currently 19.5 stone. I'm 5'7" and I'm 25.

Any and all help or ideas you guys have is greatly appreciated coz It's so disheartening to know my own body is preventing me from doing the exercises I need to to strengthen the sore places.
    There are tons of exercise to lose weight/body fat. But since almost all outside workout is not an option, let’s look closer at home exercises.

The list is next:
    Squats - A total body exercise, are amazing for you. Squats have huge and multiple benefits. They are one of the best exercises to strengthen and sculpt your legs and glutes but pretty much work the whole body.

Single-leg deadlifts - Great hamstring exercise that stimulates the glutes and helps correct muscle imbalances.

Pushups - Great compound exercise that activates most muscles. Primordially, it challenges the chest muscles. In addition, triceps, shoulders, biceps, and core muscles are engaged, with the stabilizing help of the lower body.

Sit-ups - Awesome for your core. They strengthen the ab and lower back muscles. Stronger core muscles help alleviate and even prevent back pain and injuries.

Cobras - Back-bending yoga pose. It not only strengthens your back but many more muscles and it is highly beneficial for your whole body.

Front lunges - Wonderful for strengthening and sculpting not only the legs but the glutes, while engaging the core muscles.

Supermans - Primarily strengthen the lower back and target secondarily the glutes and hamstrings. People with back problems benefit greatly from these.

Side lunges - They build strength as well as flexibility on the quads, abductors, adductors, glutes, and calves. At the same time, they engage stabilizing muscles and core.

Wheel rollouts - They can help you lose body fat, decrease back pain, get nicer abs, and a stronger upper body. Ab wheel rollouts are more challenging than other ab exercises but much more effective.

Burpees - A high-intensity exercise that stimulates numerous muscles all throughout your body. They engage your arms, shoulders, chest, abs, lower back, legs, and glutes. Burpees accelerate your metabolism, help you burn more calories, and increase your stamina.

Arnold presses - A variation of the dumbbell shoulder press, but a twisting motion targets the shoulders muscles.

Bicep curls - Great to strengthen your biceps, not only relevant to a great figure but involved in most daily activities, like picking up objects or carrying the kids around.

Tricep kickbacks - They target the back of the arm, helping to strengthen and sculpt the triceps.

Rows - Help you get strong back muscles, which keep you healthy, give you a great figure and posture, and help you avoid or deal with back pain.

You can choose a few exercises from above and perform them in a circuit fashion (one after another) for 12 repetitions x 3 times. Doing that 3 times a week, switching the exercises, can really change your body.
    Here is a 20-minute home workout routine example:

Set 1 (repeat 3 times):
    Side Lunges x 12-15 reps each leg
    Arnold Presses x12 reps
    Wheel Rollouts x 12-20 repetitions

Set 2 (repeat 3 times):
    Single-Leg Deadlifts x 12 reps each leg
    Tricep Kickbacks x12-15 reps each arm
    Rows x 12 repetitions each arm

All info on exercises were taken from one of the top fitness bloggers in NY, a certified personal trainer and fitness nutritionist Adriana Albritton - [no external links please - forum rules]
    But, what is the most important thing beside those fascinating exercises is approach. The best possible approach to lose fat is holistic, when you address your mind and spirit. May sounds funny , but it shouldn’t be overlooked. You can read more about this approach from the same person I mentioned above
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 06-30-2020 at 05:26 AM.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Konsed View Post
    There are tons of exercise to lose weight/body fat. But since almost all outside workout is not an option, let’s look closer at home exercises.
    So much nonsense in one post and far to much pointless information for the OP.

Also please explain how an exercise "sculpts" a body part.

Hakumei,

You need to start with nutrition and focus on the basics of fat loss via calorie control, exercise is important but it's secondary and you shouldn't be trying to control weight through exercise.

Try and create a simple plan, calories, protein/ protein servings. Cut down slowly on higher calorie snacks and food choices.

Add exercise gradually, a couple of brisk walks a day perhaps, or even slightly less often.
    Resistance training would be a great idea and goal to head towards but you don't need to suddenly try hundreds of exercises like the above poster threw out.
    (especially not biomechanically tricky exercises like rollouts and single leg deadlifts)

A bodyweight Squat, or a squat holding a kettlebell would be a fine place to start
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Totally agree with the above - make nutrition your first priority (please note I didn't say diet) so that you understand how much and what kind of fuel your body needs. If you get this right you don't actually need exercise to lose weight - rather it becomes something you do for health and aesthetic reasons.

If you can understand calories and food you will be in control of your weight and able to steer it as you want, rather than end up feeling like a victim of food. That way it will be sustainable and you will win in the long term.

I would suggest signing up with a calorie tracker of some sort like MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople (other trackers are available) as this will help you to understand what you are currently eating as well as guide you towards making the right changes.

Go and spend time reading through the nutrition section stickies - there are a couple specially aimed at newbies to this which walk you through the terminology very effectively.

Most of all though, understand that doing this in a healthy and sustainable way is a slow business which is based around commitment and consistency... well done for taking the first step.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post

Hakumei,

You need to start with nutrition and focus on the basics of fat loss via calorie control, exercise is important but it's secondary and you shouldn't be trying to control weight through exercise.

Try and create a simple plan, calories, protein/ protein servings. Cut down slowly on higher calorie snacks and food choices.

Add exercise gradually, a couple of brisk walks a day perhaps, or even slightly less often.
    Resistance training would be a great idea and goal to head towards but you don't need to suddenly try hundreds of exercises like the above poster threw out.
    (especially not biomechanically tricky exercises like rollouts and single leg deadlifts)

A bodyweight Squat, or a squat holding a kettlebell would be a fine place to start
    Just going to second this for emphasis, please ignore what Konsed has suggested, you are not at a level where many of these exercises will be possible and/or safe. Focus on educating yourself about nutrition, macros and calorie control. Gently adding exercise into your routine and slowly increasing your activity levels in general should supplement this, not take precedence over it.

One piece of additional advice that can be valuable is do not over complicate. Ignore fad diets, quick fixes, instagram, celebrity weight loss programs, slimming world, weight watchers, most articles on the internet, what other people who have 'dieted' tell you etc etc etc. The general principles of losing fat are very simple and no amount of tinkering, keto, teatoxes, fasted cardio or 'only eating purple vegetables on teusdays and thursdays' (or whatever) is going to breach the energy equation. Eat fewer calories than you burn of satiating foods. Optionally (but recommended) slightly increase that caloric burn through increased activity. This is the only way to lose fat.

You are most vulnerable to bad advice when you are just starting out so ignore everything except what you read in the stickies (check out the nutrition forum and the losing fat forum). I have found that often females can get the worse end of this as they are likely to have plenty of friends who have 'dieted' and will have various misconceptions and inaccurate advice (eg 'you burn 50% more calories if you are sweating in the sun' or 'don't eat carbs after 6pm'). Learn. To. Ignore.

Hakumei,

Thank you so much for your tips and recommendations. I have already cut most sugar from my life (things like sweets or stuff with added sugar) and already eat relatively healthy, opting more for leaner options already. I've seen a loss of about a stone and a half from that alone but I want to improve my progress as it's very slow. I also want to prove my doctor wrong that my back pain isn't in my head. Also, I love squats. XD lol I was just at the gym today and I'm pushing about 38kg I think it was on the leg press. I've been trying to build a bit more muscle before getting back to the squat rack so I don't injure my back. I have actually taken to counting my calories, aiming for around 1500 a day but not being too upset if it's just over. I'd rather be a tiny bit over than worrying too much coz I went over. ^^;

Originally Posted by NearlyBigAngus View Post
    Totally agree with the above - make nutrition your first priority (please note I didn't say diet) so that you understand how much and what kind of fuel your body needs. If you get this right you don't actually need exercise to lose weight - rather it becomes something you do for health and aesthetic reasons.

If you can understand calories and food you will be in control of your weight and able to steer it as you want, rather than end up feeling like a victim of food. That way it will be sustainable and you will win in the long term.

I would suggest signing up with a calorie tracker of some sort like MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople (other trackers are available) as this will help you to understand what you are currently eating as well as guide you towards making the right changes.

Go and spend time reading through the nutrition section stickies - there are a couple specially aimed at newbies to this which walk you through the terminology very effectively.

Most of all though, understand that doing this in a healthy and sustainable way is a slow business which is based around commitment and consistency... well done for taking the first step.
    Please read my reply to WolfRose. Also though, I still don't quite get macro and micro nutrients so I'm gonna ask my boyfriend's brother who's a big gym guy and has his diet down pat. I'm also going to use my free personal trainer session to get this one trainer at the gym who specialises in diets and calorie counting to help me figure out a good diet plan and show him some of the stuff I've been eating. Thank you so much for your encouragement. It's so nice to hear someone say "well done" for anything you do but even more so when it's something important to you.

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    Just going to second this for emphasis, please ignore what Konsed has suggested, you are not at a level where many of these exercises will be possible and/or safe. Focus on educating yourself about nutrition, macros and calorie control. Gently adding exercise into your routine and slowly increasing your activity levels in general should supplement this, not take precedence over it.

One piece of additional advice that can be valuable is do not over complicate. Ignore fad diets, quick fixes, instagram, celebrity weight loss programs, slimming world, weight watchers, most articles on the internet, what other people who have 'dieted' tell you etc etc etc. The general principles of losing fat are very simple and no amount of tinkering, keto, teatoxes, fasted cardio or 'only eating purple vegetables on teusdays and thursdays' (or whatever) is going to breach the energy equation. Eat fewer calories than you burn of satiating foods. Optionally (but recommended) slightly increase that caloric burn through increased activity. This is the only way to lose fat.

You are most vulnerable to bad advice when you are just starting out so ignore everything except what you read in the stickies (check out the nutrition forum and the losing fat forum). I have found that often females can get the worse end of this as they are likely to have plenty of friends who have 'dieted' and will have various misconceptions and inaccurate advice (eg 'you burn 50% more calories if you are sweating in the sun' or 'don't eat carbs after 6pm'). Learn. To. Ignore.
    Please read my last two replies to WolfRose and NearlyBigAngus. And don't worry about me getting into "diets". I would prefer to just adjust what I eat to be healthier so I'm still enjoying what I'm eating. But yeah, reading through what Konsed was saying I was like "half of this is stuff I'd already said will hurt me sooo." XD lol I've also been trying to lose weight for years, having followed my mam's bad advice of trying (and hating) a few diets she showed me, going to a nutritionist and having them suggest I eat tiny portions of bland foods which had me misrable (she wouldn't even allow me to put salt on my food. =.=; ) to trying to go walking every day, even though it hurt, having a back spasm mid stride and twisting my ankle. X'3

I've been active every day this week. I had dancing on monday and wednesday and went to the gym the other 3 days. My usual routine in the gym is 5mins of quick walking on the treadmill or on the bike to warm up, a quick stretch and shake to wake up my arms and then do some weight stuff on the machines. My favourites are the leg press, seated row, chest press and pull down bar. I need to improve my weight baring ability to be able to move better to be able to lose this weight. XD I don't care if I end up above my goal if it's muscle as I know that's more dense than fat cells so I'm just hoping to drop a few sizes. I'm currently a UK size 20 and I want to get down to at most a 16. That's only 2 sizes but it's a huge difference. Then I can wear pretty things. ^^

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Hakumei94 View Post
    Thank you so much for your tips and recommendations. I have already cut most sugar from my life (things like sweets or stuff with added sugar) and already eat relatively healthy, opting more for leaner options already. I've seen a loss of about a stone and a half from that alone but I want to improve my progress as it's very slow. I also want to prove my doctor wrong that my back pain isn't in my head. Also, I love squats. XD lol I was just at the gym today and I'm pushing about 38kg I think it was on the leg press. I've been trying to build a bit more muscle before getting back to the squat rack so I don't injure my back. I have actually taken to counting my calories, aiming for around 1500 a day but not being too upset if it's just over. I'd rather be a tiny bit over than worrying too much coz I went over. ^^;
    Sounds like you are on track and going well, definitely work in barbell squats when you feel you can again.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hakumei, there is something else, besides what was already suggested earlier. Without deep underlying personality change there will be failed attempts to become somebody who you are not. Losing weight is not only about diet or the nagging cravings. If food is your only excitement for the day, you will fail at losing weight, it is that simple. Your reward system needs to shift to something else. Pick up musical instrument or something, start new demanding career, things like that.

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    Hakumei, there is something else, besides what was already suggested earlier. Without deep underlying personality change there will be failed attempts to become somebody who you are not. Losing weight is not only about diet or the nagging cravings. If food is your only excitement for the day, you will fail at losing weight, it is that simple. Your reward system needs to shift to something else. Pick up musical instrument or something, start new demanding career, things like that.
    Oh don't worry. my typical reward for something it going somewhere I enjoy or buying a new mug. :P I love mugs.

Sounds like you are on track and going well, definitely work in barbell squats when you feel you can again.
    Thank you. I was showing my friend who's coming gym with me and super new how to squat with a plain bar since he can't lift much more atm and so he can get used to not wobbling. It wasn't as bad as I thought but I could definitely feel a bit of a twinge from moving like that again after so long. XD lol I'm so out of practice. X'3