dejan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Skinny fat: bulk or cut?

Hello.

I'm 82kg (180lbs) 193 cm (6'4) male. Everybody tells me I'm too skinny but without clothes, I have a big belly and man boobs. I think i fall into category - skinny fat. When I was under 15yo I was fat (around 106kg), but then I lost a lot of weight and consequently muscle too.

About a year ago I started weightlifting (mostly compound exercises and calisthenics during the pandemic) and eating healthy. I aim to get about 160g of protein a day and I mostly eat good carbs and fat. I went from 90kg to 82kg but now I hit a plateau. I simply can not lose my belly fat. I restricted calories to about 2000kcal a day accompanied with weight lifting and cardio (i play soccer, basketball...) but I'm unable to lose any more fat.

My question now is. Should I restrict my calories even further and continue my cut or should I start a bulk? I'm VERY unsatisfied with my body image, so I'm very afraid to bulk because I'm afraid I will look worse when I add some fat that comes with muscle. Or will a bulk make me look better even though I will add some additional fat?

I'm looking forward to your answers.
    Attached Images

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You look to be in the 15% bf range. You're not skinny fat. Go for a slow bulk.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am skinny fat. Look at my pics.

You are not skinnyfat - you’re kinda skinny but also but muscular.

Go into a slow bulk - gain 1lb every two weeks. 2lbs a month. (This should equal 250 surplus).

If you do want to continue loosing weight, up your calories for a week. By 200 maybe 300 a day. Then go back down.

What are your maintenance calories?
    **^^ Work hard AND more importantly, work smart ^^**

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bulk slowly.

Maintenance + 40g (160 calories) of a good, lean protein.

Follow a proven lifting plan for beginners (Stronglifts, Fierce 5, Etc.) for 4-6 months then reevaluate.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Bulk slowly.

Maintenance + 40g (160 calories) of a good, lean protein.

Follow a proven lifting plan for beginners (Stronglifts, Fierce 5, Etc.) for 4-6 months then reevaluate.
    Based on my personal experience get onto StrongLifts, fierce 5 or even ICF (not recommenced too much) for a few months like he says. Very fast progression and will help get those neurological gains.

Once you start resetting/doloading a lot get into slower progression Beginner program like AllPro. Grind that for several months till you are no longer a novice (details on this in allpro FAQs).

Then switch to a novice program

Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Neither.

Try to maintain your current weight by following a training program like Fierce 5 until you find it very difficult to progress further.

After that happens, then start slow bulking.

Read all the stickies under "Losing Fat" and "Nutrition".

Good luck.
    "Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

"Tolerance only for those who agree with you is no tolerance at all." ― Ray A. Davis

"That which drives me in life is my faith, and what I desire most is peace for mankind." ― C. Jones

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dorich View Post
    Neither.

Try to maintain your current weight by following a training program like Fierce 5 until you find it very difficult to progress further.

After that happens, then start slow bulking.

Read all the stickies under "Losing Fat" and "Nutrition".

Good luck.
    This. When you stall in the gym, up your calories a BIT. Rinse and repeat.

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    This. When you stall in the gym, up your calories a BIT. Rinse and repeat.
    How much is a BIT?

dejan95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TryingBB View Post
    What are your maintenance calories?
    Thank you all for your answers! @TryingBB my maintenance calories are around 2600kcal/day. I think I will up this for about 250kcal and go into lean bulk. I will try the StrongLifts or Fierce 5 training routine.

I'm only afraid that my belly fat will get worse, but I guess that losing that fat after I gain some muscle will be easier.

Originally Posted by dejan95 View Post
    Thank you all for your answers! @TryingBB my maintenance calories are around 2600kcal/day. I think I will up this for about 250kcal and go into lean bulk. I will try the StrongLifts or Fierce 5 training routine.

I'm only afraid that my belly fat will get worse, but I guess that losing that fat after I gain some muscle will be easier.
    Edit: op, you need to slowly bulk. Good decision. Just saw your pics and post again and recalled. I mixed it up with another post...

So good call - good luck. You’re at a good place to start a bulk imo. Happy bulking. Keep the foods clean

******* below is my previous post which is still right information as for as I know. So not deleting ****
    They say you gain more fat on a bulk above 15%.

I didn’t believe.

I went into 250 surplus slow bulk at 17% bodyfat. I ended up at 20% in 3.5 months. So I should have listened.

Currently cutting.

Either way, once you start bulking don’t be scared of the bloat if you get it once or twice a week.

Once you start hitting 19%, do yourself a favour and cut back down.

I wish I had just cut another 2 months when I was down to 17% and then started my bulk. Specially cuz I’m skinnyfat.

I’m currently cutting and gonna continue till 13% to 14%. Then will bulk...