kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Deload Vs. Routine change

Hey guys

Basically I have a few questions about deloading and routine changes.

I have been cutting for the past 13 weeks and have lost a solid 10-11 kilos (Approx 23 pounds) and my strength has maintained quite well. I’ve been using coolcicadas PPL (PLPR) repeat. But while reading the thread a while back I noticed that it’s not ideal for cutting as the volume is a lot. Hence why I’m using it with an extra rest day instead of PPLPPLR.

The heavy movements such as the squats (4x5-6) has really been taking a toll on my joints and form is taking a hit. I’ve decided to increase reps for main compounds (squats, bench & barbell rows) to 6-8 reps.

My questions are:
    -Will a change in routine and form reset be as beneficial and/or better than a deload/week off?

-I really love the structure of this routine even though I’ve changed some exercises to suit my preferences but is it wise to change to something else with less volume for the last few weeks of cutting? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kauseemcee View Post
    Hey guys

Basically I have a few questions about deloading and routine changes.

I have been cutting for the past 13 weeks and have lost a solid 10-11 kilos (Approx 23 pounds) and my strength has maintained quite well. I’ve been using coolcicadas PPL (PLPR) repeat. But while reading the thread a while back I noticed that it’s not ideal for cutting as the volume is a lot. Hence why I’m using it with an extra rest day instead of PPLPPLR.

The heavy movements such as the squats (4x5-6) has really been taking a toll on my joints and form is taking a hit. I’ve decided to increase reps for main compounds (squats, bench & barbell rows) to 6-8 reps.

My questions are:
    -Will a change in routine and form reset be as beneficial and/or better than a deload/week off?

-I really love the structure of this routine even though I’ve changed some exercises to suit my preferences but is it wise to change to something else with less volume for the last few weeks of cutting? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance
    How much longer is your cut? If it's just the last few weeks, then I'd just keep on with the modified coolcicada.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kauseemcee is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    How much longer is your cut? If it's just the last few weeks, then I'd just keep on with the modified coolcicada.
    Well I’d say between 3-6 weeks depending on how quick or slow the fat comes off. Just for more info, I’m in a 500 cal deficit.

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Increasing the rep ranges is a solid plan.

You could also adjust the movement to a similar variant to see if it helps with joint stress too.

If you haven’t deloaded in the past 13 weeks I’d highly suggest you take one.

You could even take a diet break and eat at maintenance for the deload week and then hammer away for another 4-6 weeks on your diet.

Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post
    Increasing the rep ranges is a solid plan.

You could also adjust the movement to a similar variant to see if it helps with joint stress too.

If you haven’t deloaded in the past 13 weeks I’d highly suggest you take one.

You could even take a diet break and eat at maintenance for the deload week and then hammer away for another 4-6 weeks on your diet.
    Thanks for the advice, I’ve been implementing diet breaks usually every month for 3-7 days depending on how I’m feeling but it’s not so much my appetite or strength taking the hit, I’m fairly sure that it’s mainly my joints. In saying that, I think I will take your advice and use the 6-8 rep range for my compounds. Thanks again

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No problem.

Taking a week of 30% reduction in volume could be beneficial too if you haven’t deloaded at all for nearly 3 months.

Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post
    No problem.

Taking a week of 30% reduction in volume could be beneficial too if you haven’t deloaded at all for nearly 3 months.
    Yea fair call. Mentally it’s hard to make that adjustment but it might be a smart idea. I’m hoping that changing some exercises will lower total workload since my body won’t be use to them. Wishful thinking but either way I think it’s the perfect time to revise my routine

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kauseemcee View Post
    Yea fair call. Mentally it’s hard to make that adjustment but it might be a smart idea. I’m hoping that changing some exercises will lower total workload since my body won’t be use to them. Wishful thinking but either way I think it’s the perfect time to revise my routine
    Assuming you don't have any specific strength goals during your cut, I'd just do a deload and then switch some exercises to more joint-friendly cables/machines for the last few weeks of your cut. You gotta listen to your joints sometimes. But do what works best for your goals.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Assuming you don't have any specific strength goals during your cut, I'd just do a deload and then switch some exercises to more joint-friendly cables/machines for the last few weeks of your cut. You gotta listen to your joints sometimes. But do what works best for your goals.
    Thanks for the advice, I’ve actually swapped out some exercises for that exact reason. It’s good to know I’m not the only one thinking this way and sounds like I’m on the right track, thanks for your input