Detienne is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Insane cramp whilst working ab's

Hi guys.

I saw there was a previous post on this but it was closed for new replies.

I have for years neglected doing abs because even after one set of crunches or situps I get an insane cramp that leaves me paralyzed for a minute or two. literally scared to move incase in contracts again. It is only on my left side and subsides after a while, but it could be hit and miss for the next 5 mins, so I normally just walk around. If I sit down it could trigger the contraction all over again. It has stopped me going to classes because I just wouldn't be able to get past 1 or 2 sets. It only seems to happen when I am doing ab workouts that work on the top of the abs, hanging leg raises are not a problem.

So i am just wondering what it is I need to do because honestly, doing 15 reps is about all I can manage. Is it a case of having to stretch my abs and warm them up? because I'm not completely sure how to stretch my abs. is it simply a case of working on them 10 a day until I can break through and do more?

I'm desperately trying to get on top of this because I already have middle-age spread knocking at my door.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It sounds like you're simply untrained. You should understand training abs will not affect your "middle-age spread" in any meaningful way. Look to your diet if you want to make headway there.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You may have a strength/muscle imbalance on a particular side.
    Back off on work load on the abs.
    Restart with low volume and slowly increase.
    Dont work them every day and switch to different movement each session.
    This may help.