BasedonPluto is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Been cutting for 6 weeks (need advice)

I have been cutting for 6 weeks, my maintenance calories were 2000 so I decided to drop to 1650 for the past 6 weeks give or take a 1 or 2 cheat days

I have been reading alot about metabolic adaptation and that can occur after 2-3 weeks on a calorie deficit, I'm wondering should I eat at maintenance for a week and then go back to cutting?

I have lost around 5-7 pounds in the 6 weeks while weight training and doing a day of cardio once a week, I'm worried my maintenance has dropped to 1650 and I wont be losing any fat, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Metabolic adaption and 'starvation' mode etc. are largely a myth. At least in the way that alot of people claim they work.

5-7lb loss is going to cause no metabolism changes whatsoever. PERHAPS 50-70lb loss may cause a maintenance change of 1-300 calories purely due to you supporting SIGNIFICANTLY less bodymass. However even in this range the adaptation is not dramatic. Any metabolic changes are usually offset by increased mobility and activity anyway.

If you are losing at the rate you want at 1650 then keep eating 1650. There is no need to change this. Your body will not suddenly change its basal metabolic rate by 100s of calories because you are eating less than you normally do. Do not buy into 'fitness article' bullchit

BasedonPluto is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    Metabolic adaption and 'starvation' mode etc. are largely a myth. At least in the way that alot of people claim they work.

5-7lb loss is going to cause no metabolism changes whatsoever. PERHAPS 50-70lb loss may cause a maintenance change of 1-300 calories purely due to you supporting SIGNIFICANTLY less bodymass. However even in this range the adaptation is not dramatic. Any metabolic changes are usually offset by increased mobility and activity anyway.

If you are losing at the rate you want at 1650 then keep eating 1650. There is no need to change this. Your body will not suddenly change its basal metabolic rate by 100s of calories because you are eating less than you normally do. Do not buy into 'fitness article' bullchit

Cheers mate that's put my mind at ease, I have noticed that aswell all these fitness gurus just want views and clicks so they talk about any bull**** they can

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Metabolic adaptation exists but is overblown as far as something to worry about.

You will have to drop calories as you lose weight. A person who weighs 200 lbs maintains at a higher calorie level than someone who is 180 lbs, all other things being equal.

Until your weight loss slows or stops, I wouldn't change anything. Alternatively, you could choose to drop 100 calories for every 10 lbs lost. (If you do the latter, I'd wait a few extra lbs before the first drop since most people lose some extra water weight in the beginning.)

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    (I literally just posted this same answer in another thread 2 minutes ago)...

You won't "endanger your metabolism" or suffer "metabolic adaptation".

That is basically a line of BS invented by fat people that want to find a reason to blame for not losing weight other than the fact that they are burning fewer calories and eating more than they think they are. So long as you are still breathing and generating heat (IE. you aren't dead), then your "metabolism" is still working.

You will burn fewer calories over time due to having lost weight and thereby having less overall mass to fuel each day but the difference is something relatively small like a 30-50 calorie a day drop for every ten pounds of fat that you lose.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.