Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

My OHP is super weak compared to my bench.

I'll start with saying that I never really did standing OHP, and have been neglecting hitting shoulders directly for a couple years. But since covid I got a home gym and for the first time have been following more of a powerlifting program. For bench press I can do 5 sets of 3 reps with 275. But I struggle standing OHP 135 for 5x3 smh...

I'm now hitting OHP on its own day, and following a linear progression plan to hopefully increase this number. Let's say I increase that up to 185 for 5 sets of 3. Would that significantly improve my bench press as well? Not sure if I've really been hindering progress by not hitting shoulders properly.

And any tips to improve OHP besides just adding 5 pounds each workout would be appreciated. Thanks.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I doubt it will carry over to bench much if that's your main goal.

If you want to develop your shoulders then of course you should OHP - and address lateral/posterior delt too. I would add shrugs (overhead shrugs are very efficient) too.

OHP is slow to add weight so I suggest double progression (adding reps to sets) before adding weight. Use a weight at least 3/4 times and get up to around 8-12 reps per set before adding a weight increment and working back up from 5-6 reps per set.

I tend to do (say) 3 sets to a fixed RPE first. Lets say I get: 7,5,4

Next time, backfill: e.g. 7, 6, 5
    Next time front load: e.g. 9, 6, 5
    etc.

Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Unstumpable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I doubt it will carry over to bench much if that's your main goal.

If you want to develop your shoulders then of course you should OHP - and address lateral/posterior delt too. I would add shrugs (overhead shrugs are very efficient) too.

OHP is slow to add weight so I suggest double progression (adding reps to sets) before adding weight. Use a weight at least 3/4 times and get up to around 8-12 reps per set before adding a weight increment and working back up from 5-6 reps per set.

I tend to do (say) 3 sets to a fixed RPE first. Lets say I get: 7,5,4

Next time, backfill: e.g. 7, 6, 5
    Next time front load: e.g. 9, 6, 5
    etc.
    Thanks for the advice! Have had some nagging shoulder discomfort for a couple years. I'm thinking it could be from not having my shoulders adequately strengthened. Definitely am hitting some lateral raises and face pulls to get some rear delt work in too.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Louie Simmons powerlifting coach of Westside barbell recommends them.
    Im not sure how he actually implements them in training but i know it would be an accessory lift.
    Upper back ,delts and triceps are all worked.
    Personally i feel you should balanced strength wise and the OHP is a an angle that gets less attention for most people.
    The double profession is a good way to go as Suffolkpunch recommends.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Unstumpable View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Have had some nagging shoulder discomfort for a couple years. I'm thinking it could be from not having my shoulders adequately strengthened. Definitely am hitting some lateral raises and face pulls to get some rear delt work in too.
    This is probably from not having a proper balance in your program as well

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    This is probably from not having a proper balance in your program as well
    I just got lazy for a few years and would just do bench/incline bench/pull ups and call it a day...now I'm following an actual program again and it seems like it's getting better.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just got lazy for a few years and would just do bench/incline bench/pull ups and call it a day...now I'm following an actual program again and it seems like it's getting better.
    What program?

What program?
    GZCLP

https://saynotobroscience.com/gzclp-infographic/

That is actually close to what I used to do before I started working out at home

Heavy bench and lighter OHP and rows

Heavy OHP and close grip bench and pulldowns

Heavy deadlifts and light leg press and rows

Heavy squats and lighter good mornings/weighted back extensions and pulldowns

That is actually close to what I used to do before I started working out at home

Heavy bench and lighter OHP and rows

Heavy OHP and close grip bench and pulldowns

Heavy deadlifts and light leg press and rows

Heavy squats and lighter good mornings/weighted back extensions and pulldowns
    So far it's been pretty awesome for me. I built a home gym during all of this covid stuff. And before that I never deadlifted at the gym. I started probably way lighter than I could have on deadlifts. I started with 185 for 5x3 and have added 10lbs each deadlift workout. My next deadlift session will be 355 5x3 and I haven't stalled yet. So that's made a massive improvement in my back and overall strength just doing deadlifts. If I could get too between 425-450lb by the end of the year I think that'd be pretty amazing progress. Not sure if that would even be possible.

Squats progression has started to slow down. Today I did 300 for 5x3 and it was tough... I started 5x3 with 255. Would love to be able to get my squat to 350lb,

Bench I never really neglected in the gym. But next workout will be 280 for 5x3. Which idk if I'll be able to get. lol Have been chasing that 315 bench for forever. Hoping increasing deadlift/squat/OHP will somehow increase my bench numbers lol

I know these gains each week can't last forever.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I always found push presses and dropsets pretty effective towards overhead pressing progression.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ironface is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    OHP responds to specificity. I've known 315 benchers who struggle to OHP 135 for reps. Start OHPing twice a week at the start of your workouts, a few heavy sets (triples, doubles, singles) then a few backoff sets for extra volume.

Push presses can also help you get used to locking out a heavier weight overhead.
    *Deadlifts pants after taking a chit crew*
    *Typos can go fucl themselves crew*
    *Nice miscer crew*
    *Loves reps, hates negs crew*
    *Faps before workout crew*
    *12+ hours of sleep crew*
    *Faps during workout crew*
    *Hates onions crew*
    *Faps after workout crew*
    *No fap crew*