Blakey85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am i working the same areas too much?

I'm doing a full body workout, like 1 or 2 exercises per an area, 3 times a week without my back since i have chronic back pain.

I lift what i can, usually to hit a fail on the last reps on the 3rd set. I've managed to increase my weights abit lately, but it took some time.

Now my biggest problem is the biceps. I'm stuck at 10 kilo range, and i don't see much improvement in my in the size or responsiveness.

I've read time and time again that you need to give your muscles rest so they grow. My question , is a full body routine done 3 times a week, hitting the same spots limiting them recovery and thus their growth? Would i be better served going down to 2 with more rest between?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Rest time is not the issue. 3x a week is fine for most people and most muscle groups. It more likely to be
    1) Expectations. How long have you been training and how much have you increased main compound lifts
    2) Programming - if you have not been training back, you won't have been able to make use of exercises like rows and pullups which all help biceps.
    3) Diet - are you eating enough protein and actively gaining weight?

Avoiding training back might be a mistake. What exactly is the issue and does this mean you are literally not training lats, lower back, mid back, traps, posterior delts etc?

paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    4) Genetics - some people are going to be naturally big, others will be skinny (but can be muscular). What is the diameter of your wrist?

SuffolkPunch - I've been trying for a long time actually, like 3 years, but i wasn't getting serious with it till the last half a year.
    I've since added protein powder on a regular basis to my diet and upped my workout to a steady 3 times a week.
    In this time i've seen my bench increase in 10 kilo, among other things.

Regarding the back, it's a mainstay. I've got 3 displaced discs and a constant tight back and back pain, i'm not going to run anything that might effect my back at all. It's not worth it.
    I do assisted pullups,some lateral pulldown and dips, but i am not that great to start out and use mediocre weight at best.

I think my diet could be more clean, but i'm getting or close to getting my macros. I've added like a kilo or 2 since i've started. Some of it is fat though.

paulinkansas - Ow i'm sure my genetics isn't optimal. I've test my testosterone hormone several times since i had a medical issues and it's always low. It used to be lower than normal, but it shot back to normal heights. But i have fighting constant fatigue which i'm sure has to do with that. Besides, i don't like these statements but with all the work i've put in over these years i *should*, given a different build, better results. But i'm just working with what i have.
    Also, my brother who did everything right, doing full body compact movements that i can't and weighted pullups, saw mediocre results aswell.
    My wrist? the joint in the start of my hand? i think it's normal or maybe slightly lower than normal.

Guys, i'm just getting confused if i should be hitting harder and taking longer rests or not. Alot of times, after a fullbody workout, my biceps, shoulders and chest are very tight and sore. It happens that 2 days later, for my next workout, i'm not rested 100% and start it somewhat tight or sore.
    Cause i can blast the hell out of my workout, up it to 100%, drop sets to fail on every one of them (which i do on my chest alot), but no way am i going to be OK with a day of rest before my next workout.
    Last edited by Blakey85; 06-26-2020 at 09:02 AM.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Blakey85 View Post
    Guys, i'm just getting confused if i should be hitting harder and taking longer rests or not. Alot of times, after a fullbody workout, my biceps, shoulders and chest are very tight and sore. It happens that 2 days later, for my next workout, i'm not rested 100% and start it somewhat tight or sore.
    Cause i can blast the hell out of my workout, up it to 100%, drop sets to fail on every one of them (which i do on my chest alot), but no way am i going to be OK with a day of rest before my next workout.
    You should post your full program and give an idea of some of your lifts if you want advice.

Bench 4*8.
    Bicep isolation 3*8.
    Incline bench 3*8.
    Bicep curl 3*10.
    Lateral pulldown 3*10.
    Dips + Assisted pullup 3*10.
    Machine fly 4*8.
    Seated leg press 3*12
    Shoulder press (either barbel or dumbbell) 3*8.
    Front dumbbell raises 3*8.
    8 minute treadmill run, 10.5 average speed.
    There's also a machine bench press thingy that i like going to failure with drop sets, can't find it's name. 3*10.

That's it more or less. The timing of each one might alter, but that's what i do mostly. The stated reps are what i aim for, i might do less or add more to achieve failure.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SuffolkPunch - like 3 years, but i wasn't getting serious with it till the last half a year.
    with all the work i've put in over these years i *should*, given a different build, better results.
    Really? Just putzing around for 2.5 years, then working at it for 6 months you should be "where" exactly?? ;-)

There is NO REASON to be doing drop sets on and on...

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Really? Just putzing around for 2.5 years, then working at it for 6 months you should be "where" exactly?? ;-)

There is NO REASON to be doing drop sets on and on...
    I'm not sure what the you meant with the first half. edit - ow i get it. But alot of the reason i gave up before is that i didn't get the results like some other people do with the same work. But i'll hold my course for now. Thanks.

I don't do drop sets on everything and even then it's mostly the last set, but shouldn't total fatigue on a muscle group, if i'm going to work it only several times a week, a good thing?

paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    How much do you weigh, and how much weight do you use for your bench press and your shoulder press (barbell or dumb bell)? That would help give us some perspective.

Also, are you progressing with your lifts on a regular scheduled basis? If you keep the same weight, same reps, same sets you'll end up with the same muscles because they are not getting stimulated with progression.

My wrist diameter is 7 5/16", I weigh 220 and can shoulder press 2 40lb dumb bells 14 times before my form suffers. I've been lifting a year less than you, but we all have different genetics.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've managed to increase my weights abit lately, but it took some time.
    shouldn't total fatigue on a muscle group, if i'm going to work it only several times a week, a good thing?
    You should aim to consistently progress on your lifts, not just do a lot of "work" every workout. Your program isn't well balanced and isn't set up to ensure progression. Consider doing Fierce 5 or another of the novice programs in the stickies on the Workout forum page.

paul - weigh 90 kilos right now. I bench for like 70 kilo including everything like i said for around 4*8.
    I just started doing shoulder presses, i'm using either 2X15 kilo dumbells or a bar totaled at around 30 kilos.

About progression - I haven't progress for a long time before. The reason being the using the weight i used, i was fatiguing on the last set.
    My main question about that - is it optimal to lower my rep but up my weight? will that help?

air2fakie - That program does squats and deadlifts among other back related stuff. I'm unable to do those, both from back pain and being the most uncoordinated person on planet earth.

About progression - I haven't progress for a long time before. The reason being the using the weight i used, i was fatiguing on the last set.
    My main question about that - is it optimal to lower my rep but up my weight? will that help?

air2fakie - That program does squats and deadlifts among other back related stuff. I'm unable to do those, both from back pain and being the most uncoordinated person on planet earth.
    Do progression schemes and prescribed methods of pushing through stalls found in F5 and other novice programs also hurt your back? Do hamstring curls hurt your back? Reverse pec deck or reverse cable flyes for your rear delts? Lateral raises? Triceps exercises? Chest supported rows? I guess your routine is your only option. Good luck with the biceps!

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Do progression schemes and prescribed methods of pushing through stalls found in F5 and other novice programs also hurt your back? Do hamstring curls hurt your back? Reverse pec deck or reverse cable flyes for your rear delts? Lateral raises? Triceps exercises? Chest supported rows? I guess your routine is your only option. Good luck with the biceps!
    Thanks.

Yes, do progression. A year ago I was doing 4 sets of 12 reps with 30 lb dumb bells for shoulder presses. Each week I would increase the number of reps. 4 sets of 13, 4 sets of 14, etc until I did 4 sets of 20. Then I went down to 4 sets of 12 with 35 lbs, and kept increasing the reps until I was doing 4 sets of 20. The last few weeks I've been doing 4 sets with 40 lb dumb bells.

I'll tell you this, it is achieveable. When I did 4 sets of 16 with 35 pounders, I thought that there was no way I'd be able to do more the next week. And I was right. I did 4 sets of 16 for 2 weeks, and the following week I could do 4 sets of 17. So the point I'm trying to make is that your gains will come slower as you get more advanced. You've probably used up all your beginner gains, and now the gains are going to come slower. You just have to push yourself a little more each week or every 2 weeks.

not sure i got any beginner gains hehe. Aight, i'll try increasing my weight while dropping the reps, building back to 10. Thanks.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What medical diagnosis do you have on your back?

Uncoordinated? Come on. Don't be one of those guys who only works chest, arms and abs, then complains about lack of progress...

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    What medical diagnosis do you have on your back?

Uncoordinated? Come on. Don't be one of those guys who only works chest, arms and abs, then complains about lack of progress...
    3 Herniated discs. Lowered plane of movement. My back is always stiff and hurts from time to time.
    On the uncoordinated part, i'm not kidding lol. I'm sure it has to do with the stiff back. Anything complex i **** up horribly and my form is super duper ****. Examples - jumping rope, riding a bike properly,squats or deadlifts.

I'd love it if there's a machine substitute i can do that requires less moving parts.