djdany is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can someone check my general routine and advice why I hardly lose fat or gain muscle?

Need someone to check my routine and why I hardly gain muscle.

So I have always been working out on and off but since past 3 months I have been doing it consistently around 3/4 times a week. Plus it is more than a year that I eat very clean. protein in take i can make up to 160/180 grm a day. Most of it come from my food plus 50g pea and rice protiens. I usually get 5.5 hrs sleep on average. I take multivitamins, and zinc. Most days my calorie intake is around 2300. Due to the climate, I’m not that active except my workouts.

Now the issue: based on my body composition scale, my body weight has increased by 6kg which 1.7 kg of that is muscle and 4kg is body fat. To be honest I can barely see any changes in the mirror. My belly fat has not been reduced but even I feel it has been increased a little bit. In general no changes.

People cannot notice 6kg added to me as I look much the same as before.

Is this normal? first of all, how can I put on 6 kg and still have pretty much the same size of clothes. Yh arms and shoulder are a bit bigger.

Seccondly, why am I even getting body fat with a clean diet? is 4kg fat vs 1.6 muscle normal?

I know these body composition weights are not accurate but I think these numbers are very odd.

I used to be 84kg, 24% body fat, 41.6% muscle.
    Now after 4 months I am 90.7kg, 26% body fat, 40% muscle.

My workout is push pull based, with high volume. I do 1/2 days leg workouts as well.

Clearly I don’t know if I am on the track or what I am doing wrong. Any advice or sharing your experience would be really helpful.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What is your program?
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In 3 months you've gained 13 pounds? Are you TRYING to gain weight? Regardless of the type foods you are eating, you are eating about 500 calories a day over your maintenance, hence gaining 1 pound a week.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why would you expect to lose belly fat if you've gained 6kg (about 13 lbs)? If you've gained that much weight in 3 months you can be sure that at least 8-10 lbs of that is fat, and the rest is muscle even if you're doing everything correctly. This is why we generally dont recommend that you can more than 1kg per month when lean bulking, even then you can be at least half or more of your weight gain will be fat.

If you're over 20% bodyfat you really should be in fat loss mode, which means you should be eating in a calorie deficit and losing weight, not gaining.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 06-24-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1. Ignore everything your scale says except for how much you weigh. Bio-electric measuring for body fat is horribly inaccurate.

2. That said, 13 pounds in 3 months means that you are eating a lot more than you think that you are. 500 calories more per day than your maintenance calorie requirements to be specific. "Eating Clean" doesn't cause you to lose fat. Eating in a calorie deficit does.

3. Buy a food scale and learn to weigh/measure//log literally everything that you put into your mouth. This is the only way that you will know just how many calories you are really eating.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    200 lbs at 5’10
    You’re eating more than you think, your at very close to my maintenance calories and I’m half your size

Clean or not clean eating it’s calories in vs out

Clothing size doesn’t mean much I can wear a size 0 in women’s pants at 105 and 130
    Insta is username snails.r.us

AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You haven't actually mentioned a program which is probably for the best. The vast majority of muscle/fat gain is determined by how much you're eating.

Forget 'clean' eating, it makes no difference except perhaps small health differences. If you overeat 3000 calories in bananas and chicken breast in a day you will gain just as much weight as if you eat 3000 calories in cake. It's just likely a very small proportion of that will be muscle due to the higher protein content of the chicken. Your body cannot synthesize muscle quickly (maybe 30-40g per day if you are very lucky), it can store fat at a pretty much infinite rate (in the above example you could gain nearly a full 1lb/450g of fat in a single day).

I understand you are not overeating by this amount but it is clear you are either eating a whole lot more than you think you are or dramatically underestimating your TDEE (you do not mention your height or sex so hard to tell). Reduce your food, keep track of things like oils, dressings, sauces, the odd snack. Those things can easily add up to the kind of excess you are experiencing (around 500cal per day). Your other problem could be related to what i mention above, you may be tracking food less carefully because you think 'clean' food won't make you gain weight. That is dangerous Slimming World nonsense, you still need to track just as carefully. Concentrate on your calories and your macros, don't obsess over making your diet clean.

And most importantly i want to second Luclin999. Ignore all 'bodyfat' scales. They are all incredibly innacurate and setting store by the body composition numbers is literally as useful as you just guessing every week. Forget monitoring your 'lean body mass in kg vs fat mass in kg', concentrate on your overall weight, the mirror and progression on your lifts.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The reason you don't look much different after gaining weight is because your BF % is within a range where you don't yet have definition but is not high enough to look fat. This is a wide range (14-25%). So if you were to reduce fat and gain muscle and go from (say) 22% - 18% you might not even notice the difference. But if you went from (say) 16% - 12% the difference would be very noticeable due to muscle definition (assuming you have enough underlying muscle built - many people try to skip this part and just diet)

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    What is your program?
    I use the following resistance workouts plus I do one leg day as well. Normally I leave 2 days space between my resistance training days instead I do a leg day within those two days or sometimes just rest and make up 4 days workout per week. I switch my exercises every week so if this week I do dumbbell press for horizontal push, the week after I do dumbbell fly and so on which is still horizontal push.

Resistance workout 1
    Deadlift
    3 sets x 6-8 repetitions (rest for 2 minutes between sets)

SUPERSET 1
    4 sets x 6-8 repetitions
    Horizontal push (e.g. bench press)
    Horizontal pull (e.g. dumb-bell row)

SUPERSET 2
    2 sets x 12-15 repetitions
    Vertical pull (e.g. lat pulldown)
    Vertical push (e.g. overhead press)

SUPERSET 3
    Face Pulls
    Bent Over Lateral Raise

Resistance workout 2
    Barbell squat
    3 sets x 12-15 repetitions (rest for 60-90 seconds between sets)

SUPERSET 1
    4 sets x 6-8 repetitions
    Vertical pull (e.g. pull-up)
    Vertical push (e.g. seated dumbbell press)

SUPERSET 2
    Horizontal push (e.g. incline dumbbell press)
    Horizontal pull (e.g. seated cable row)

SUPERSET 3
    3 sets x 8-10 repetitions
    Incline Dumbbell Curl
    Triceps Pressdown

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks like endurance training masquerading as resistance training.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    In 3 months you've gained 13 pounds? Are you TRYING to gain weight? Regardless of the type foods you are eating, you are eating about 500 calories a day over your maintenance, hence gaining 1 pound a week.
    Well all calorie intake calculators say I should take around 2500 calories. I hardly make it up to 2300. Also my smart watch says I burn around 2200 / 2300 calories per day. I still don’t know if I have to build muscle or lose fat, as if I go for calorie defect then I won't make any muscles I guess, so I tired to stay on maintenance but still putting up weight.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Why would you expect to lose belly fat if you've gained 6kg (about 13 lbs)? If you've gained that much weight in 3 months you can be sure that at least 8-10 lbs of that is fat, and the rest is muscle even if you're doing everything correctly. This is why we generally dont recommend that you can more than 1kg per month when lean bulking, even then you can be at least half or more of your weight gain will be fat.

If you're over 20% bodyfat you really should be in fat loss mode, which means you should be eating in a calorie deficit and losing weight, not gaining.
    Thanks for your reply. So do you suggest that more than around 1 kg weight gain per month is too much in lean bulking?
    I know I have to lose fat but I thought calorie defect will not let me make muscle. I only have belly fat that I want to get rid of the rest of my body looks normal that's why I thought I just keep the maintenance calorie intake and the fat eventually burns which does not work that way obviously.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    1. Ignore everything your scale says except for how much you weigh. Bio-electric measuring for body fat is horribly inaccurate.

2. That said, 13 pounds in 3 months means that you are eating a lot more than you think that you are. 500 calories more per day than your maintenance calorie requirements to be specific. "Eating Clean" doesn't cause you to lose fat. Eating in a calorie deficit does.

3. Buy a food scale and learn to weigh/measure//log literally everything that you put into your mouth. This is the only way that you will know just how many calories you are really eating.
    Thanks for your answer. Well, I use MyFitnessPal to calculate my calories. I don’t do it every day, but say I do it 3 days in a row, couple of times per month just to get an idea of how much I am eating and stay on the track, which normally I am below 2300 calories and based on calorie calculators that is around my maintenance.. but of course, I am wrong as I am seeing the opposite results.

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by djdany View Post
    Thanks for your answer. Well, I use MyFitnessPal to calculate my calories. I don’t do it every day, but say I do it 3 days in a row, couple of times per month just to get an idea of how much I am eating and stay on the track, which normally I am below 2300 calories and based on calorie calculators that is around my maintenance.. but of course, I am wrong as I am seeing the opposite results.
    Myfitnesspal will calculate your calories based upon what you are entering. That is why you need a food scale and to weight everything, even foods that come pre-packaged, to insure that you are eating the amounts that you think that you are.

If you tell it you are only eating "4oz of chicken breast" but you are really eating "9oz of chicken breast" then of course the calculations will be off.

Also, you need to check to make sure that the entries for the foods that you are using in that app are accurate. Most of those food entries were put into the system by random users like yourself and some of those people have no clue as to what the calorie values of food are.

I've seen things on Myfitnesspal like "Grilled boneless skinless Chicken Breast" entries for "4oz = 40 calories" to "4oz = 340 calories" (the correct amount should be about 4oz=150 calories), Bananas listed as "30 calories each", Etc.

So you need to double check the food values for the entries that you use there for accuracy as well.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Choose fat loss or muscle gain and concentrate on 1 at a time. Trying to do both ends up being an exercise in frustration 99% of the time.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough