bryannarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy I CAN’T lose weight! Getting discouraged. :(

Hey guys, I have been trying to lose 25 lbs for which feels like my entire adult life. This past year I have found that following a low carb/keto diet works for my body and how I feel everyday. I have been pretty strict on my diet, and intermittent fasting. The most I have lost is 8lbs, in one year!

I have what feels like the strangest “body type”. I only gain weight in my midsection, I thought cutting out carbs and sugar would help immensely but it hasn’t.

So here are my questions. I work very long hours in front of a computer all day, so I’m definitely not as active as I should be, my first question is, as much as people say “abs are made in the kitchen” could this be from inactivity?

Also, because of my long hours (and probably lack of exercise) my sleep schedule isn’t the best, usually between 5-6 hours per night. I understand that both a good nights rest and physical activity are important for weight loss but can it really make a difference of 25lbs?!

I keep thinking that I need to focus on my diet, cut more out, drink more water, fast longer, etc. But is there a chance that 7hrs of sleep and 30 min of exercise could solve my problems?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    I am 27, 5’9 and 170 with body fat of 30%. I eat around 1300-1500 cals a day. And intermittent fast 18:6. I usually have a high fat, protein and veggie smoothie and then chicken or fish and veggies for dinner.
    Last edited by bryannarose; 06-23-2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: May be helpful.

snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) snailsrus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. Your not eating 1500 calories
    2. Eat less
    3. Sleep won’t have that much of an affect on weight loss
    4. Keto/fasting etc only works if you actually eat less
    5. It’s easier to eat less than try to cardio off weight
    Last edited by snailsrus; 06-23-2020 at 10:52 PM.
    Insta is username snails.r.us

CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CBRIT89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Fasting, Keto etc - if it works for you fine, but they aren't the answer. Calories in vs. calories out is the answer.

If you're not moving during the day but still eating 1500 calories, you'll barely see the scales move.

500 calorie deficit every day for a week should see you lose 1lb a week.

Read the stickies and they'll help you work out the calories you burn at rest, and then you can work out how many you want to drop by - half a pound a week is just 250 calories less intake than you burn, and you'll have achieved your 25lbs goal in just under a year.

Do some resistance training - bodyweight or otherwise - to limit how much muscle is lost.
    A.L.L. Leukemia 2009-2012
    Brain haemorrhage 2009
    Hip replacements 2010 & 2011
    Eating Disorder 2016-2020

bryannarose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys! I see that both of you said I should be eating less. About two months ago I changed it from 1200 cals to about 1400 because I thought I wasn’t eating enough. There’s so much contradicting information out there that’s it’s hard to know when you don’t see any changes.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bryannarose View Post
    Thanks guys! I see that both of you said I should be eating less. About two months ago I changed it from 1200 cals to about 1400 because I thought I wasn’t eating enough. There’s so much contradicting information out there that’s it’s hard to know when you don’t see any changes.
    It's pretty simple. If what you are eating maintains your weight over a long enough period of time (so that changes in water weight are not confusing the issue) then you need to reduce calories. It's a myth that eating too little stops fat loss (although it can make you start retaining water which will fool your measurements).

A lot of articles overcomplicate things when the basics could be written on a playing card...

AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Agree with above posters. If low carb feels better for you then go for it but please don't expect it to give you better fat loss results than any other 'diet'. It's all about the calories. At your height and weight it is extremely unlikely that you are actually eating 1500 calories a day if you are not seeing any fat/weight loss.

Fat is extremely calorie dense which means that in measuring there is a higher margin of calorie error. if you are following a keto diet i might add that it is possible you are not monitoring this properly. It can be very difficult to measure things like oils effectively if you are using them often in your eating. The difference between 1-300 calories of oil is less than 2 tablespoons. If you are determined to stick with keto i would say (in addition to advice above) that you will have to be very honest and specific with your fat intake (ie measuring to the gram and or ml of things like oil, cream, mayo that you use in everything from shakes to cooking). This is not such a problem in other diets where dietary fat is not so prevelant.

But yes overall if you are eating a certain amount and not losing, you are eating too much, regardless of the macros that that food is coming from.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Yes lots of bad info out there

Fat loss is a product of a CONSISTENT CALORIE DEFICIT OVER TIME and nothing more.

You’re eating the same amount of calories you’re burning on a weekly/monthly basis.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schrickm5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everything said so far re calories and keto above you need to consider.

If your goal is to get rid of your fat.......
    I think you also need to increase your sleep, and introduce resistance training (4x wk is poss.)- especially if you want to bring down your body fat, I would think your newb gains in this respect would be excellent if I base this on my own experiences. I saw a huge decrease in BF when I started resistance training.

brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think you should keep your food intake where it is ( If your tracking, which you should be ) and just exercise. seeing as you said your not doing any. adding in a workout every day would use up some of your calories, and go from there.

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fad diets are not the answer. They don't address the root cause of why people get fat in the first place which is typically that they are unaware of just how much food and how many calories they consume on a regular basis.

And right now you are not eating at "1300-1500 calories per day".

The only realistic way to lose fat is to be in a caloric deficit and the only way to insure that you are in a deficit is to know exactly how many calories you are eating every day.

And frankly, the only way to do that is to buy a food scale and to weight/measure/log literally everything that goes into your mouth.

Figure out your daily maintenance calories, then eat at a reasonable deficit from that amount each day until you have lost what you want to lose.

This method will educate you on just how many calories are actually in the foods that you eat and what realistic portion sizes are for those foods.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Agree with all the above, 2 main points being:

1. Count your calories. You're not eating as little as you think. I'm similar stats (5'8 160lb) and would easily lose weight eating 1500 calories/day.

2. If you care about your body/physique beyond just getting skinnier/losing weight - you NEED to do some resistance training. I'm not talking about bulking up like Arnold, I mean just to have a decent/aesthetic body it is a must.

Really can't over emphasize either point, they are both important to long-term success in improving your physique.

TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Didn’t read the whole thing

Eat less

Track calories and weight everything you eat for the first couple weeks.ater weight more than 75% of what you eat

I went from 200+ to 162 currently and on the way down to 158 next month hopefully. Then slow bulk time

If I can do it anyone can

Try one refeed a week where you eat maintenance calories that day to help with hormone levels and hunger. To make up for the refeed, reduce 50 calories a day for the other 6 days of the week.
    **^^ Work hard AND more importantly, work smart ^^**

TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TryingBB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just to add, i look almost the same in my pictures since 175lbs. Really. I do. Same body fat percentage to my eye anyways Almost.

I carry most fat in my stomach and chest.

Now at 162, it is starting to fly off. I can feel my stomach fat reduced quite a bit from 164 to 162lbs. Chest is starting to come off but very slowly.

Everyone holds fat differently and your body decides how and when to take off from a certain area. Keep at it. You’ll get there
    **^^ Work hard AND more importantly, work smart ^^**

TheBlackDawnR3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys, I have been trying to lose 25 lbs for which feels like my entire adult life. This past year I have found that following a low carb/keto diet works for my body and how I feel everyday. I have been pretty strict on my diet, and intermittent fasting. The most I have lost is 8lbs, in one year!

I have what feels like the strangest “body type”. I only gain weight in my midsection, I thought cutting out carbs and sugar would help immensely but it hasn’t.

So here are my questions. I work very long hours in front of a computer all day, so I’m definitely not as active as I should be, my first question is, as much as people say “abs are made in the kitchen” could this be from inactivity?

Also, because of my long hours (and probably lack of exercise) my sleep schedule isn’t the best, usually between 5-6 hours per night. I understand that both a good nights rest and physical activity are important for weight loss but can it really make a difference of 25lbs?!

I keep thinking that I need to focus on my diet, cut more out, drink more water, fast longer, etc. But is there a chance that 7hrs of sleep and 30 min of exercise could solve my problems?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    I am 27, 5’9 and 170 with body fat of 30%. I eat around 1300-1500 cals a day. And intermittent fast 18:6. I usually have a high fat, protein and veggie smoothie and then chicken or fish and veggies for dinner.
    The Total Daily Energy Expenditure of a woman your height, weight and body fat percentage is around 1843. I think it’s entirely possible, if not probable, you’re eating 1500 kCal per day as 343 calorie deficit should have you losing around 1.4 pounds every 2 weeks which is slow and very difficult to distinguish from the noise of every day weight fluctuations.

TheBlackDawnR3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    1. Count your calories. You're not eating as little as you think. I'm similar stats (5'8 160lb) and would easily lose weight eating 1500 calories/day.
    You’re a male with a much lower body fat percentage. Trying to use what your weight loss would be as a barometer for hers is an immediate non starter.