papo78 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Transformation or weight loss workout? (Amongst other things)

Hey everyone, im a bit pudgy and want to get back in shape , I've been hitting the gym on machines only for full body workouts 4 times a week for a few weeks now but i am not sure is this is the way to go. I would like to lose weight and get in shape at the same time. Any advice what workouts path i should pursue?

While we art it, does working out improve the insulin sensitivity or is it only cardio?

How often should i do cardio without it interfering with my workout?

Thanks you guys!

pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You are taking step and are heading in the right direction.

Most of the weight loss should be done with proper nutrition. Without a thorough self introspection of your eating habits, I don't believe a person can end the pudginess. You can't outwork bad eating habits.

As for the gym and using machine, If you have a program that progresses in difficulty, as you get fitter, it can be done on machines. Find a program that you enjoy doing. and stick with it.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by papo78 View Post
    Hey everyone, im a bit pudgy and want to get back in shape , I've been hitting the gym on machines only for full body workouts 4 times a week for a few weeks now but i am not sure is this is the way to go. I would like to lose weight and get in shape at the same time. Any advice what workouts path i should pursue?

While we art it, does working out improve the insulin sensitivity or is it only cardio?

How often should i do cardio without it interfering with my workout?

Thanks you guys!
    That's a much more complicated set of questions than it appears. Let me try and give you a reasonably short answer:

For diet you must control calories and macros.
    For exercise you need to lift weights in order to retain lean tissue while in a deficit.
    Insulin sensitivity ins't really a big factor here you can pretty much ignore it.
    Cardio is optional, it helps you control calories but otherwise isn't that important from a weight loss perspective. Frequency is as much as you like as long as it doesn't interfere with your lifting.
    For training I recommend you do something like stronglifts 5x5 until you stall, switch to something like 5/3/1 until you stall and by that time you'll know enough you can determine what sort of program you want to try next.
    For more information start reading the stickies.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post
    That's a much more complicated set of questions than it appears. Let me try and give you a reasonably short answer:

For diet you must control calories and macros.
    For exercise you need to lift weights in order to retain lean tissue while in a deficit.
    Insulin sensitivity ins't really a big factor here you can pretty much ignore it.
    Cardio is optional, it helps you control calories but otherwise isn't that important from a weight loss perspective. Frequency is as much as you like as long as it doesn't interfere with your lifting.
    For training I recommend you do something like stronglifts 5x5 until you stall, switch to something like 5/3/1 until you stall and by that time you'll know enough you can determine what sort of program you want to try next.
    For more information start reading the stickies.
    The variables are complicated, but the plan of action can be pretty simple. And if boils down to pretty much what you said.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.