Thread: I need help.

ImExtremelyFat is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I need help.

I’ve been pretty fat for the majority of my life. I turned 18 a few months ago and I currently weigh somewhere around 330 pounds and I’m just about 6 foot. I don’t drink any soda, eat any candy or sweets or anything like that. It’s probably because of all the carbs I always eat. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago and it’s been managed well but I’m just extremely unhappy with the way I look. My weight issue destroyed my life... I haven’t gone to school for about 4 years now because I used to get bullied a ton and it traumatized me a bit and I have no friends in real life :/ I think my main issue is motivation, I just can’t find any at all. Once in a while I have a good day and feel motivated to get onto an exercise machine and it just feels like hell. I got on a few days ago and set up my phone to watch a video while I exercised. I told myself I’d exercise for 30 minutes and I could have sworn that 30 minutes had went by but when I looked at my phone I was only 8 minutes into the video, it’s just hell. I don’t know how to get the motivation to lose weight..

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You have to want it to happen, or you will not change.

Losing weight, especially going from morbidly obese to fit, requires a lot of hard work and dedication to that goal. Even more importantly, failing to understand that the process is a permanent change in lifestyle and not a "diet plan" with an end point is critical in keeping the fat off permanently.

Failing to understand either of those points will ultimately lead to failure in either losing the fat or in keeping it off long term.

You have to be willing to learn how to weight/measure and log literally everything that goes into your mouth in order to re-learn concepts like "proper portion size", "Macro nutrient values", and calorie amounts for what you are eating each day and understand that while no food is essentially "forbidden" that there are some foods which are a lot better for you to eat than others.

Becoming more active is also critical in re-training yourself into becoming a healthier, leaner person. Walking more is a good start however you will also need to find ways to stress whatever muscle that you do have under the fat in order to cause your body to prioritize pulling calories from your fat stores while in a prolonged calorie deficit rather than breaking down lean mass. Weight training is optimal for this, however if you do not currently have access to weights or a gym, even a calisthenic program of bodyweight exercises (Squats, pushups, Etc.) is better than doing nothing at all to stress your body.

Understand that at your body fat levels, this process when done right will likely take a year or more and that even after the fat is gone that if you want to keep from simply re-gaining is all back again that you will still have to continue with many of the habits and eating patterns that you developed to lose the fat for the rest of your life.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    You have to want it to happen, or you will not change.

Losing weight, especially going from morbidly obese to fit, requires a lot of hard work and dedication to that goal. Even more importantly, failing to understand that the process is a permanent change in lifestyle and not a "diet plan" with an end point is critical in keeping the fat off permanently.

Failing to understand either of those points will ultimately lead to failure in either losing the fat or in keeping it off long term.

You have to be willing to learn how to weight/measure and log literally everything that goes into your mouth in order to re-learn concepts like "proper portion size", "Macro nutrient values", and calorie amounts for what you are eating each day and understand that while no food is essentially "forbidden" that there are some foods which are a lot better for you to eat than others.

Becoming more active is also critical in re-training yourself into becoming a healthier, leaner person. Walking more is a good start however you will also need to find ways to stress whatever muscle that you do have under the fat in order to cause your body to prioritize pulling calories from your fat stores while in a prolonged calorie deficit rather than breaking down lean mass. Weight training is optimal for this, however if you do not currently have access to weights or a gym, even a calisthenic program of bodyweight exercises (Squats, pushups, Etc.) is better than doing nothing at all to stress your body.

Understand that at your body fat levels, this process when done right will likely take a year or more and that even after the fat is gone that if you want to keep from simply re-gaining is all back again that you will still have to continue with many of the habits and eating patterns that you developed to lose the fat for the rest of your life.
    I really do want it to happen and I know it’s not just a temporary thing and that it’ll take a ton of work but I just don’t know how to get motivated to fix myself. My life right now is too easy, nobody is pushing me, I feel like I’m too cozy and I need to change my environment to reach success. I used to have a weightwatchers app that I could use to log everything I ate and how much exercise I did and stuff so I could probably get that again.. I live with my parents still and it’s hard trying to diet with them because they always buy ****ty food whenever I try to diet, that’s probably the least of my concerns though.

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's not up to somebody else to push you, it has to be you pushed you. I lost a good amount of weight 9 yrs ago and I have kids who enjoy snacks now and then so I have them in the house. You have to focus on your goals and deal with all the temptation around you or you won't ever be able to succeed with weight loss.

You say you are motivated but lose motivation quickly. What will it take to motivate you into reinventing yourself now at 18? You need to be able to get into the right mindset so you can succeed in losing the weight and also in keeping it off. How badly do you want that?
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org
    www.metavivor.org/take-action/why-we-need-you

Originally Posted by NerdyLady View Post
    It's not up to somebody else to push you, it has to be you pushed you. I lost a good amount of weight 9 yrs ago and I have kids who enjoy snacks now and then so I have them in the house. You have to focus on your goals and deal with all the temptation around you or you won't ever be able to succeed with weight loss.

You say you are motivated but lose motivation quickly. What will it take to motivate you into reinventing yourself now at 18? You need to be able to get into the right mindset so you can succeed in losing the weight and also in keeping it off. How badly do you want that?
    I want it really badly... I don’t really know what would motivate me to be honest.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ImExtremelyFat View Post
    I want it really badly... I don’t really know what would motivate me to be honest.
    I was motivated almost seven years ago when my doctor told me that I had..

~ High Blood Pressure

~ Metabolic Syndrome

~ Pre-diabetic

~ Ridiculously high triglyceride levels ( six times the normal maximum)

~ C.O.P.D. that was bordering on Emphysema

She told me that I would probably be on oxygen (carrying a tank around with me everywhere) within three years and wanted to give me a huge list of prescriptions to start taking immediately and permanently for the rest of my life with likely more to be added later, a CPAP machine and that in all honestly that I would be lucky if I made to to being sixty years of age.

I was 47 years old and 243 pounds (47% BF).

I turned down the medication and told her that I would try to lose the weight, change my lifestyle and fix my health that way.

Today I am 164 pounds, have none of the conditions above and my current doctor (my old doctor retired 5 years ago) says that I am the healthiest patient that she sees that is over 30 years of age.

You are only 18 years old, already diabetic and heavier than I ever was.

If a lifetime of declining health, endless pharmaceuticals, and a significantly shortened life expectancy aren't enough to motivate you, then exactly what will it take?
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I was motivated almost seven years ago when my doctor told me that I had..

~ High Blood Pressure

~ Metabolic Syndrome

~ Pre-diabetic

~ Ridiculously high triglyceride levels ( six times the normal maximum)

~ C.O.P.D. that was bordering on Emphysema

She told me that I would probably be on oxygen (carrying a tank around with me everywhere) within three years and wanted to give me a huge list of prescriptions to start taking immediately and permanently for the rest of my life with likely more to be added later, a CPAP machine and that in all honestly that I would be lucky if I made to to being sixty years of age.

I was 47 years old and 243 pounds (47% BF).

I turned down the medication and told her that I would try to lose the weight, change my lifestyle and fix my health that way.

Today I am 164 pounds, have none of the conditions above and my current doctor (my old doctor retired 5 years ago) says that I am the healthiest patient that she sees that is over 30 years of age.

If a lifetime of declining health, endless pharmaceuticals, and a significantly shortened life expectancy aren't enough to motivate you, then exactly what will it take?
    I really don’t know.... I just never have any energy to do anything besides play games online. I guess I just don’t value my life that much .-. I don’t know how to stop being a lazy piece of ****

I started feeling really dumb so I just went on the elliptical and completed a lap.. I’m really sweaty right now and it feels kinda bad (being sweaty). I feel a bit better about myself after doing it though. Idk if I’m gonna be able to turn this into a habit though... I feel like I’ll just give myself an excuse tomorrow and end up forgetting that I wanted to lose weight.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I started feeling really dumb so I just went on the elliptical and completed a lap.. I’m really sweaty right now and it feels kinda bad (being sweaty). I feel a bit better about myself after doing it though. Idk if I’m gonna be able to turn this into a habit though... I feel like I’ll just give myself an excuse tomorrow and end up forgetting that I wanted to lose weight.
    then don’t give yourself an excuse. Learn to love the sweat and sore muscles, I miss being able to to break a sweat easily. Today I did a 5k in 95 degree weather and didn’t break a sweat if you want it bad enough you’ll do it again tomorrow
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you want to lose weight but hate exercise? fun fact: you can sit on your ass all day and lose weight, just eat less food (might want to check how to count calories)

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    you want to lose weight but hate exercise? fun fact: you can sit on your ass all day and lose weight, just eat less food (might want to check how to count calories)
    That’s what I’ve been doing for the past few years, but I haven’t been losing it as fast as I want to.

That’s what I’ve been doing for the past few years, but I haven’t been losing it as fast as I want to.
    No one responsibly loses weight "as fast as they want to". It took you literally years to become morbidly obese and at 330 pounds it will probably take you 1.5 - 2 years to get down to a lean, healthy body fat level.

Stop making excuses, accept that fact and get started on the process now.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Until you go from "wishing" you were in shape, to determining that you "WILL" be in shape, it's just a dream, dude...

Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Start by reading all stickies in this sub-forum and the Nutrition sub-forum.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Read my sig below
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

No one responsibly loses weight "as fast as they want to". It took you literally years to become morbidly obese and at 330 pounds it will probably take you 1.5 - 2 years to get down to a lean, healthy body fat level.

Stop making excuses, accept that fact and get started on the process now.
    Sounds like a plan.

I just finished another small workout.. I got 2x sweatier than yesterday. I’m guessing that’s a good thing? My feet hurt a lot while I was doing it, is that normal when I’m just starting out or are there any specific types of shoes I should be wearing? I’m guessing I should use sneakers instead of crocs... lol. Also if I made the room cooler when I exercise would it have any negative effects? Sorry if that’s a dumb question.

I just finished another small workout.. I got 2x sweatier than yesterday. I’m guessing that’s a good thing? My feet hurt a lot while I was doing it, is that normal when I’m just starting out or are there any specific types of shoes I should be wearing? I’m guessing I should use sneakers instead of crocs... lol. Also if I made the room cooler when I exercise would it have any negative effects? Sorry if that’s a dumb question.
    Wear athletic shoes when doing athletic things.

Cool air = less sweat and being more comfortable while exercising.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Forget about motivation. Fact is, if you only train/eat well when you are feeling motivated, you will fail. What you need is routine and the self-discipline to stick to it. Getting started is often the hardest bit.

Also remember that most of your weight loss will come from diet, not exercise. Read all of the 'sticky threads on nutrition and losing fat.