Reply
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Registered User DylanDude's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Age: 28
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DylanDude is offline

    What I learned during Quarentine

    So my gym closed for 3 months during the quarantine. I got real scared i was going to lose all my strength. I made it my goal to retain as much as possible with calisthenic workouts in my bedroom.

    SHOULDERS:
    For shoulders i tried doing handstand push ups. I couldn't even do 1 full range of motion rep at the start. Even though in the gym i could overhead military press 130lbs for 3 reps, i couldn't do 1 hand stand pushup. I started getting better at the hand stand pushups though and by the end of the quarantine i could do 4 in a row. I also did easier variations of these with my feet resting on my bed instead of straight on top of me against the wall, so i could get higher rep ranges. My very first gym session back after quarantine i did 130lbs overhead military barbell press for 3 reps. I lost NO shoulder strength over the break. I was SO happy.

    Video of my handstand pushpus
    youtube. com/watch?v=TI2YP_Gw6xk

    CHEST:
    For my chest I did side to side push ups while wearing a back pack with 25lbs of books in them. Leaning with almost all my weight on 1 arm each rep. Usually i would get 7 reps each arm, switching back and forth. Would get a nice pump in the chest for sure, and would always go to failure. Sometimes id end a set with some regular push ups while still wearing my backpack. My last gym session before the quarantine I benched 200lbs for 4 reps. My very first session back to the gym i did 205lbs for 3 reps. My chest strength stayed the same without a gym, just like my shoulder strength.

    BACK:
    For my back i did chin ups on my door frame pull up bar that i bought at the start of the quarantine. I'd wear my 25lb back pack while holding a 25lb dummbell between my thighs. Think my best was 9 reps. Also did horizontal rows where i kept my feet up against a wall, parallel to the floor, and pulled my chest up to hit the bar. This kept my back strength good. Lost basically no back stregtth. Actually my pull up strength went up.

    Video of my 75lb weighted pull ups once i got back to the gym
    youtube. com/watch?v=OVyhxIDkOac

    LEGS:
    For Legs i did 1 legged pistol squats, while holding a 25lb dumbbell. I honestly hated these and sometimes just skipped sets because how much i hated them lol So yeah my squat strength went way down. Went from doing 230 lbs x 6 reps before quarantine to being able to do only 230lbs x 2 reps after. Kinda sad but i know ill get the strength back soon.

    BTW: I went on a 6 week calorie deficit diet and lost 7lbs during this whole quarantine.

    CONCLUSION:
    Upper body strength is totally doable without a home gym just doing calisthenics. I was so surprised. Now lower body strength without a gym, forget it. So i really only need a gym for my lower body. However at home id lose focus and drag my workouts out, taking too long of rest periods so a gym is also nice for keeping me focused.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User safcpaul's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2018
    Age: 50
    Posts: 277
    Rep Power: 3793
    safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) safcpaul is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    safcpaul is offline
    Originally Posted by DylanDude View Post
    So my gym closed for 3 months during the quarantine. I got real scared i was going to lose all my strength. I made it my goal to retain as much as possible with calisthenic workouts in my bedroom.

    SHOULDERS:
    For shoulders i tried doing handstand push ups. I couldn't even do 1 full range of motion rep at the start. Even though in the gym i could overhead military press 130lbs for 3 reps, i couldn't do 1 hand stand pushup. I started getting better at the hand stand pushups though and by the end of the quarantine i could do 4 in a row. I also did easier variations of these with my feet resting on my bed instead of straight on top of me against the wall, so i could get higher rep ranges. My very first gym session back after quarantine i did 130lbs overhead military barbell press for 3 reps. I lost NO shoulder strength over the break. I was SO happy.

    Video of my handstand pushpus
    youtube. com/watch?v=TI2YP_Gw6xk

    CHEST:
    For my chest I did side to side push ups while wearing a back pack with 25lbs of books in them. Leaning with almost all my weight on 1 arm each rep. Usually i would get 7 reps each arm, switching back and forth. Would get a nice pump in the chest for sure, and would always go to failure. Sometimes id end a set with some regular push ups while still wearing my backpack. My last gym session before the quarantine I benched 200lbs for 4 reps. My very first session back to the gym i did 205lbs for 3 reps. My chest strength stayed the same without a gym, just like my shoulder strength.

    BACK:
    For my back i did chin ups on my door frame pull up bar that i bought at the start of the quarantine. I'd wear my 25lb back pack while holding a 25lb dummbell between my thighs. Think my best was 9 reps. Also did horizontal rows where i kept my feet up against a wall, parallel to the floor, and pulled my chest up to hit the bar. This kept my back strength good. Lost basically no back stregtth. Actually my pull up strength went up.

    Video of my 75lb weighted pull ups once i got back to the gym
    youtube. com/watch?v=OVyhxIDkOac

    LEGS:
    For Legs i did 1 legged pistol squats, while holding a 25lb dumbbell. I honestly hated these and sometimes just skipped sets because how much i hated them lol So yeah my squat strength went way down. Went from doing 230 lbs x 6 reps before quarantine to being able to do only 230lbs x 2 reps after. Kinda sad but i know ill get the strength back soon.

    BTW: I went on a 6 week calorie deficit diet and lost 7lbs during this whole quarantine.

    CONCLUSION:
    Upper body strength is totally doable without a home gym just doing calisthenics. I was so surprised. Now lower body strength without a gym, forget it. So i really only need a gym for my lower body. However at home id lose focus and drag my workouts out, taking too long of rest periods so a gym is also nice for keeping me focused.
    So the moral of the story is the body parts you put work into you either maintained strength or gained slightly, and the body part you trained less and skipped sets you lost a little bit strength?
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User DylanDude's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Age: 28
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DylanDude is offline
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    So the moral of the story is the body parts you put work into you either maintained strength or gained slightly, and the body part you trained less and skipped sets you lost a little bit strength?
    Hahahaha no! It's that you can maintain or even gain strength in the upper body without a gym man c'mon lol That was a dope realization for me. I am so happy that i now know this information. It was a great experiment
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User WolfRose7's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2016
    Location: United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Age: 27
    Posts: 9,568
    Rep Power: 46485
    WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    WolfRose7 is offline
    how can you take too long rest periods?
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

    FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2019
    Posts: 1,554
    Rep Power: 4953
    TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TolerantLactose is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    TolerantLactose is online now
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    how can you take too long rest periods?
    If he's anything like me, too many distractions at home. It's why I prefer lifting away from home.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

    Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User BeginnerGainz's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 2,602
    Rep Power: 15182
    BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    BeginnerGainz is offline
    Sounds like you discovered the power of calisthenics for upper body strength

    I hope you carry on with it now that gyms are open, I know I do.

    (I swap rows with chin-ups, floor press with push ups, etc every other week or so)
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User CommitmentRulz's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2017
    Location: United States
    Age: 61
    Posts: 6,968
    Rep Power: 69639
    CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    CommitmentRulz is online now
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    If he's anything like me, too many distractions at home. It's why I prefer lifting away from home.
    I find that I just work out with more intensity at the gym as opposed to working out at home. I worked out at home for 10+ years before joining a gym.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User AlexSays's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Age: 26
    Posts: 283
    Rep Power: 2683
    AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlexSays is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    AlexSays is offline
    That last handstand pushup rep was hardcore

    Yeah I feel i've actually gained a little mass in lockdown, it's forced me to forget about my big lift weights/maxes (which I become unhealthily obsessed with) and just work at activating and pounding each muscle at all costs in any way I can. I've felt/seen some pretty decent benefits from this approach.

    That is until the boredom and day drinking kicked in full time lol...
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User DylanDude's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Age: 28
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DylanDude is offline
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    If he's anything like me, too many distractions at home. It's why I prefer lifting away from home.
    Yeah exactly. A workout that should be finished in 1 hr and 15 minutes was taking me 4 hours sometimes haha
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User 8chan's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2020
    Age: 50
    Posts: 18
    Rep Power: 0
    8chan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    8chan is offline
    Originally Posted by DylanDude View Post
    For shoulders i tried doing handstand push ups.
    I couldn't even do 1 full range of motion rep at the start.
    Even though in the gym i could overhead military press 130lbs for 3 reps, i couldn't do 1 hand stand pushup.
    You weigh 161 pounds so that's understable, you'd probably have difficulty jumping into 1 rep of 160 pounds from 3 reps of 130 pounds.
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Registered User MarcusFitPro's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 28
    Rep Power: 0
    MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarcusFitPro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    MarcusFitPro is offline
    Man! This post is action packed. I'm glad that you were able to manage during the quarantine! How do you feel about everything ultimately?
    Marcus Morgan M.Ed, Exercise Science, Physiology

    Owner of Home Fitness Galore
    Fitness Equipment , Workout Plans , & Fitness Supplements

    Website: https://homefitnessgalore.wixsite.com/home
    E-mail: homefitnessgalore@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Registered User DylanDude's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Age: 28
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DylanDude is offline
    Originally Posted by 8chan View Post
    You weigh 161 pounds so that's understable, you'd probably have difficulty jumping into 1 rep of 160 pounds from 3 reps of 130 pounds.
    I dont know where you got that number, i must have an outdated personal stat on here. I was about 180lbs at the start of the quarentine, ended up being about 175lbs at the end, just because I went on a calorie cut. But yeah its interesting how it correlates because I know there's no way I can overhead press 175lbs for 3 reps but I can do 4 handstand pushups so it's weird
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User DylanDude's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2013
    Age: 28
    Posts: 20
    Rep Power: 0
    DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10) DylanDude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    DylanDude is offline
    Originally Posted by MarcusFitPro View Post
    Man! This post is action packed. I'm glad that you were able to manage during the quarantine! How do you feel about everything ultimately?
    I'm scared the gyms will close again. And like yeah I won't lose any upper body strength if they do but ill lose all the actual squat progress I've made since I got back to the gym 2 weeks ago
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User Xpiro's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 330
    Rep Power: 50
    Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10) Xpiro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Xpiro is offline
    Yeah I'm only going back for legs right now, I made some decent AF upper body gains at home and don't want to lose them by throwing away what I've been doing before I run the course of capability. Plus transportation to and from the gym and working out in a mask suck, so I miss the bench dearly but I'm holding off.

    Nice additional tidbit: single-arm DB incline press, a discovery born of borrowing plates from one adjustable dumbbell to stack on the other, feels incredible.

    Also I managed to add weight to my DL and RDL with a ton of cinder blocks and a 10ft long plumbing pipe, because all you need for that **** is a floor, but without a rack or leg press my quads weren't very happy. But it's nice to know that if gyms close again, I can keep up with the big hinges.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts