MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

How bad is it buying 10 year old cars for ~$35k?

Say for instance a CTSv, Lexus ISF, or (2012)C63 AMG. These cars go for $35k with around 50,000 miles. Isn't that price a little too high for something that old? I love those brands, but I can't imagine why someone would buy either unless they had extra cash and maybe their own garage. Does reliability and good maintenance history trump age?

I guess it's because you can't get nowhere near the performance for $35k, so I can understand that reasoning, but 10 years is still old
    Last edited by MikeLowrrrey; 06-20-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ctsv’s hold there price due to the LS3 engine with LSA supercharger on top that runs even when abused daily. Plus Cadillac has tons of luxuries built in that are not cheap so they hold there value well. Can’t talk about the other 2 cars because I’m not into the import scene. But it’s the same for my camaro when I bought it, it was 8 years old and they wanted 21k for it. Why? Because it’s worth the money period. Mine is a 2SS/RS that came with 400hp and 405trq they are beasts straight from the factory - I put 10k into my engine and trans and I have a streetable low 10 second daily driver that looks amazing with heated seats and full Lester interior.
    50% of my posts are 100% factual

Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cars are not a good use of money, So. Buying an older luxury car if you cannot afford to lease or buy new would also be a waste of money in my opinion. Especially, As a daily driver. With that said, 50,000 miles for a 10 year old car is fairly decent.

Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bigdumogre has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Realclout View Post
    Cars are not a good use of money, So. Buying an older luxury car if you cannot afford to lease or buy new would also be a waste of money in my opinion. Especially, As a daily driver. With that said, 50,000 miles for a 10 year old car is fairly decent.
    Cars are always a waste of money lol. Mods don’t hold up to resale value at all. You get what you can enjoy and do what you want to and just know it’s not a investment.
    50% of my posts are 100% factual

Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Realclout has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
    Cars are always a waste of money lol. Mods don’t hold up to resale value at all. You get what you can enjoy and do what you want to and just know it’s not a investment.
    True, I know buying the car and adding the mods is usually a one time cost so it's sort of justifiable at a certain point if that makes sense. However, Looking at the total amount of money spent I couldn't justify it. 35k in the stock market or bonds would change my life, a 10 year old 35k car that'll probably be worth 5-20k over the next few years sound like an extremely poor financial decision.

In relation to daily drivers I try to get the cheapest P.O.S I can without it being a total pile or crap because driving to work everyday is only going to run it into the ground anyway and who needs to look cool while commuting. I've been thinking about leasing a nice weekend car but I just can't justify it right now I know that money could be better spent. I have however thought about getting a really cheap toyota or something like that. Manual of course and just dropping a fat a$$ engine in it. I guess, The cost of that may come close to what op is saying about buying an older car with a good engine but at the same time you'd be dropping in a fresh motor opposed to having one with 50,000 miles on it.

MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MikeLowrrrey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    True, I know buying the car and adding the mods is usually a one time cost so it's sort of justifiable at a certain point if that makes sense. However, Looking at the total amount of money spent I couldn't justify it. 35k in the stock market or bonds would change my life, a 10 year old 35k car that'll probably be worth 5-20k over the next few years sound like an extremely poor financial decision.

In relation to daily drivers I try to get the cheapest P.O.S I can without it being a total pile or crap because driving to work everyday is only going to run it into the ground anyway and who needs to look cool while commuting. I've been thinking about leasing a nice weekend car but I just can't justify it right now I know that money could be better spent. I have however thought about getting a really cheap toyota or something like that. Manual of course and just dropping a fat a$$ engine in it. I guess, The cost of that may come close to what op is saying about buying an older car with a good engine but at the same time you'd be dropping in a fresh motor opposed to having one with 50,000 miles on it.
    You're on the car forums which is filled with enthusiasts, so that stock market and investing idea doesn't apply here. If we all wanted to make good financial decisions we would also drive 15 year old beaters

iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Generally you shouldn't buy a nice car unless you can truly afford it. So if you have to worry about the TVM of that $35k, don't buy it. That said it's just an expensive toy. Most people who buy nice cars have (or should have) the type of money where you can just throw some of it away.
    Do not think that what is hard for you to master is humanly impossible; and if it is humanly possible, consider it to be within your reach.

Originally Posted by MikeLowrrrey View Post
    You're on the car forums which is filled with enthusiasts, so that stock market and investing idea doesn't apply here. If we all wanted to make good financial decisions we would also drive 15 year old beaters
    Well, I didn't think car guys were synonymous with making poor financial decisions seeing as I like cars too. I just figured the car guys who had really nice cars or mods were just older in life and already had tons of assets and stuff like that or they were on that 10k a day ceo time but if you're telling me that you spend basically all of your discretionary income on a car and have nothing left over to save and eat ramen then I am definitely thinking twice about having this as a hobby.

Originally Posted by iamdetermined View Post
    Generally you shouldn't buy a nice car unless you can truly afford it. So if you have to worry about the TVM of that $35k, don't buy it. That said it's just an expensive toy. Most people who buy nice cars have (or should have) the type of money where you can just throw some of it away.
    That's what I am saying If I could really afford it why would I buy a 10 year old car...?! I dunno, I am all for spending money on nice things and what have you but at a certain point it comes down to choices and I would rather retire then worry about if my social security check is going to be enough during retirement.

1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000) 1QWIK7 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MikeLowrrrey View Post
    Say for instance a CTSv, Lexus ISF, or (2012)C63 AMG. These cars go for $35k with around 50,000 miles. Isn't that price a little too high for something that old? I love those brands, but I can't imagine why someone would buy either unless they had extra cash and maybe their own garage. Does reliability and good maintenance history trump age?

I guess it's because you can't get nowhere near the performance for $35k, so I can understand that reasoning, but 10 years is still old
    That's why to me, luxury performance cars as a whole isn't worth it for me just yet. Because first when they're brand new, they priced outrageously. Because it is both a performance and luxury car. So by the time the price is around what you would wanna pay, it has a billion miles and/or it's already outdated and a new model is already out.

I feel like if you can afford more than 1 car, get a toy, then get a nice daily driver/luxury/somewhat "sporty".

But then again i guess it depends on what luxury performance cars. In your case with the cars you given, i would go with the CTSV. It's tested and they work. They're reliable and even though the auto is outdated, if you tune the trans it's amazing. Don't even bother with the ISF. Underpowered and it looks like a corolla IMHO. Pretty sure it's reliable, good MPG, blah blah but it seems that you want performance. And you will get that with a GM small block with a blower. IE the CTSV.

headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I bought my isf for around that back in 2016 w/ 60k.

It was definitely a reach for me, but I still like the car and it performs relatively well.

Did get my ass thrashed by an m4 south of the border last week, but I put up a fight until 3rd gear lol

tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sure its worth it if the car is in very good condition. Some old designs just looks better than the new designs. For example the 2006 Lexus's look better than the new design language.
    *Catholic Crew*
    *Community College Master Race*
    *5'5 Masterrace*
    *Starbucks Crew*
    *Buy high, sell low*

tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tunafishha has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LargePeter View Post
    If the condition is right and the motor is working well/inexpensive to maintain/easy to maintain yourself, sometimes the older body shapes are more aesthetically pleasing as someone said above.

I hate the new Mercedes body shapes. 2014 was my favourite C63 shape; I'd rather pay that money vs the new version, unless you can buy new and dump the old body onto the chassis.

My all time fave mercedes
    *Catholic Crew*
    *Community College Master Race*
    *5'5 Masterrace*
    *Starbucks Crew*
    *Buy high, sell low*

Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Azzurri has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I would never buy a 10 year old performance luxury German car.

The cost of maintenance is just way too much for something that old and not worth the money. Unless you can do it yourself or has someone that can do it for free.
    Italian Crew
    *Ohio State Crew*

Anything easy aint worth a damn. -Woody Hayes

Two things in life right now that I'm aiming for: Getting big and very lean, and the other is making lots of money so I can shove it in peoples faces that didn't give me the time.
    Weight: 160-----------Goal: 170-175 @ 7-8% BF

Jays/Buckeyes/Packers/Raptors/Leafs

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    ISF not a bad idea

CTS - not sure if you're talking about CTS-V or CTS v sport. If it's CTS-V then not a bad idea. v sport is kinda iffy

C63 - hell no

And to answer your question why would someone buy a 10 yr old car for 35k: depreciation. They couldn't afford it when it was brand new.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly.

SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SwimProWILM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you have the cash to buy it they yeah go for it. If your looking at financing the car then know that interest rates are going the be HIGH for something that old. They can be fun but remember what your buying was originally an $80,000+ car so maintenance costs are still going to be high even though the purchase price isn't as high.

ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SwimProWILM View Post
    If you have the cash to buy it they yeah go for it. If your looking at financing the car then know that interest rates are going the be HIGH for something that old. They can be fun but remember what your buying was originally an $80,000+ car so maintenance costs are still going to be high even though the purchase price isn't as high.
    Credit unions will do normal financing on old cars. My CU will do a 5 year loan at 4% on up to $100k for any year car as long as its being bought near NADA retail price.

Black Lives Matter elterrible987's Avatar
    elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Youd have to be really into that specific car and have enough money that you dont mind wasting more on repairs.

You would have to compare what 35k gets you for new and for 4 year old cars to see if its worth dealing with a 10 year old car when they are constantly improving things like performance, interior and infotainment throughout all price ranges.

MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MillerDecaXC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Better than buying new OP

4 years ago I bought a (now) 24-year old Acura for $50,000 so I cant say anything bad about it

headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) headturner1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MillerDecaXC View Post
    Better than buying new OP

4 years ago I bought a (now) 24-year old Acura for $50,000 so I cant say anything bad about it
    I remember getting a ticket chasing after an nsx in 1997 in my non-vtec civic.. car was legit back then, still legit today (nsx, not my EF civic lol)

5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 5x10 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Really just depends on your financial situation
    Dallas Cowboys

Lifted for 30 years

Ass > tits
    No Debt Crew

SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    5 year old car with a good independent mechanic to maintain it is a good sweet spot on the depreciation and technology curves

Black Lives Matter elterrible987's Avatar
    elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) elterrible987 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by headturner1 View Post
    I remember getting a ticket chasing after an nsx in 1997 in my non-vtec civic.. car was legit back then, still legit today (nsx, not my EF civic lol)

He was lucky you didnt have vtec

oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000) oldandintheway is a name known to all. (+5000)
    10 yo car can be an ok purchase. Honda, Toyota, f150. Look at mileage and do not get one from a state that salts the roads in the winter.
    I get a tax deduction just by hanging out here

More reps, no texts

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It depends on a lot more factors. If financially stable and looking for a 2nd fun car, than sure. I dont think I would make that choice as a daily driver if I could not afford the repairs.

I recently sold my R8 which was 11 years old. (33kmi) The age ruled out all but cash buyers since very few places finance a car 10+ years old. Problem is, if someone were stretching to get in that car, just one hiccup can cost a lot of cash. As an example, I had a front strut go and replacements with OEM are around 9,000. I was lucky to find a serviceable set that someone removed with only 2k miles on them for a pair of coilovers.

Right before I sold it, my trans started missing 3rd gear shifts. Got a quote from Audi and it was 12k to fix. Since covid had just started, I pulled the trans my self and sent if off for a rebuild and replaced it. Cost me 3500 instead of 12k.

So you have to understand (on a car by car basis) that many older cars have a good price point, but cost a ton to fix. First that jump to my head are Mercedes, and BMW.

But all in all....if you are prepared for the possible down sides, there are a ton of cool cars out there that can be enjoyed. A few summers ago, I saw a good deal on a 06 S500 convertible hard-top w/ 58k miles. I bought it and just drove for the summer for fun. Was a lot of fun.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ferak is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    It depends on a lot more factors. If financially stable and looking for a 2nd fun car, than sure. I dont think I would make that choice as a daily driver if I could not afford the repairs.

I recently sold my R8 which was 11 years old. (33kmi) The age ruled out all but cash buyers since very few places finance a car 10+ years old. Problem is, if someone were stretching to get in that car, just one hiccup can cost a lot of cash. As an example, I had a front strut go and replacements with OEM are around 9,000. I was lucky to find a serviceable set that someone removed with only 2k miles on them for a pair of coilovers.

Right before I sold it, my trans started missing 3rd gear shifts. Got a quote from Audi and it was 12k to fix. Since covid had just started, I pulled the trans my self and sent if off for a rebuild and replaced it. Cost me 3500 instead of 12k.

So you have to understand (on a car by car basis) that many older cars have a good price point, but cost a ton to fix. First that jump to my head are Mercedes, and BMW.

But all in all....if you are prepared for the possible down sides, there are a ton of cool cars out there that can be enjoyed. A few summers ago, I saw a good deal on a 06 S500 convertible hard-top w/ 58k miles. I bought it and just drove for the summer for fun. Was a lot of fun.

Its not even remotely hard to get finaincing on older cars. The only requirement is a good income and good credit. There are plenty of specialty lenders that will lend out at a stupid rate but most people in the position to make payments on 10+yr old high end car can just get normal auto loans through a credit union. PenFed for example will lend out up to $100k with $0 down on any car thats value is approved via their NADA database. I can have a blank check approved up to $100k deliver to my door in 2 days.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ferak View Post
    I can have a blank check approved up to $100k deliver to my door in 2 days.
    Sounds great....My next question is why, if you have handled your finances so well you entire life, why dont you just pay cash for the car? Not you in particular per se. Just to that statement in general.

One of the things I ran into recently selling a higher end car which was 10+ years old.

Who the hell finances a 10yo car is all I am saying. I am 47 and actually never financed a single car in my life.

The ability to get credit, and the choice to use it wisely are two different things.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be