Chalazy2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Over training and stubborn muscles

More of a question tbh, but hi, I am currently 17 years old but not a newbie to working out, i started at the gym when i was 13 and fairly clueless about it, so i primarily trained chest and biceps basically everyday and ate whatever, because of newbie gains, i added lots of size to my frame especially my chest and biceps, but after a while i gained lots of fat with it, not liking this, my training focus shifted to HIIT (cardio-based) instead of weight training, to stay lean i would do HIIT cardio sessions 4 x per week for 30 mins that focused on bicep and chest activation as the workout included lots of pushups and pullups, i would also do 15-30 mins of weight training on top of this, this lead to alot of muscle loss in my chest and biceps but a much leaner physique, about 5 months ago i decided i was no longer happy with this and wanted to get some size back, after lots of research, i am now 4 months into a 5 day ppl split with a 200-300 calorie surplus for slow steady gains without gaining too much fat as that's how i prefer it, i am happy to say i am seeing lots of improvements in my physique, mainly my back, legs and shoulders, however i am finding it very hard to gain any size to my biceps and chest, i am having to work with ropes, barbells and dumbbells at the minute since gyms near me are still not open so i am aware that is limiting my workouts however i am performing around 12 - 16 sets for each muscle group per week atm with a great level of intensity and variety of exercises and hypertrophy through suspersets, yet my biceps and chest are staying stubborn, is it possible that the muscles have gotten used to a higher work volume over the past 4 years so i need to add more sets or should i be decreasing the weekly sets to give them more recovery in hopes of better results? (yes i have tried lifting heavier for progressive overload and yes i have tried a different variety of exercises for more intense and different stimulation)

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Didn't read all of that wall of text but the usual reasons for lack of results are:
    - impatience - you have only been doing this a few months
    - lack of progressive overload - 12 rep sets doesn't sound promising, you'd probably make better progress on a typical novice routine like Fierce 5 - read the sticky threads in the Workout Programs forum. There is one for Fierce 5 there - and there is also a "strengh vs. mass" thread which you probably need to read too.
    - not eating enough to gain weight

And it's not overtraining. It's never that. Usually undertraining or poor training.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000) TolerantLactose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Chalazy2000 View Post
    progressive overload
    There is directionality to progressive overload. It isn't simply lifting heavier. What you posted sounds haphazard and lacking in planning. Find a good program. Follow it without deviation for at least 3 months.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.