Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Hulkenberg82 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Getting started again after a long hiatus

So I've made it back to the forums after a 3-4-year hiatus. When I turned 30 in 2012, I weighed 255 lbs / 116 kg. I started cardio training (mostly running) and lost almost 100 lbs (about 45 kg) before going to the gym and peaking at about 180 lbs / 82 kg and becoming very lean & ripped.

I kept that weight for many years until my dad got sick and eventually died of skin cancer in the Fall of 2017. I went into a depression and gained 90 lbs (40 kg). I started doing better last year and slowly started walking (running, no thanks) 2 hrs per day. I went from 240 lbs (110 kg) to 220 (100 kg) in about 6 months, but that's when it all hit a wall. I have been at 225-235 lbs (102 - 107 kg) for at least 14 months now, regardless of how much sport I do and how clean I eat.

Then I read about how depression can lead to Thyroid problems (low/underactive thyroid), which in turn slows down your metabolism and makes it harder to lose/regulate weight. I haven't had my thyroid tested yet, but does anybody have any experience with a low thyroid and how that affected you?

I will turn 40 in 2 and a half years in October 2022 and I have decided to get "fit" again. I have 28 months to keep my promise to myself.

Should I start with a novice program again? Completely from scratch? I haven't been lifting weights for 3 years.

Right now I'm

37 years old
    6'0 ft (1.82 m)
    230 lbs (105 kg)

xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xTeTe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    At think at this point a novice program will be fine. It'll take you a while to even get back to what you were lifting before. You'll just have to get a feel for where you're at now and work on progressive overload from there.

But after taking that much time off I think one thing is very important... don't rush yourself in trying to back to were you were and beyond. The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself.

Stretch and warm up a lot. After a few weeks you'll start feeling good about your progression again.
    Amateur boxer turned bodybuilder...

Hit me up on Sherdog.. TeTe

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Hulkenberg82 View Post
    So I've made it back to the forums after a 3-4-year hiatus. When I turned 30 in 2012, I weighed 255 lbs / 116 kg. I started cardio training (mostly running) and lost almost 100 lbs (about 45 kg) before going to the gym and peaking at about 180 lbs / 82 kg and becoming very lean & ripped.

I kept that weight for many years until my dad got sick and eventually died of skin cancer in the Fall of 2017. I went into a depression and gained 90 lbs (40 kg). I started doing better last year and slowly started walking (running, no thanks) 2 hrs per day. I went from 240 lbs (110 kg) to 220 (100 kg) in about 6 months, but that's when it all hit a wall. I have been at 225-235 lbs (102 - 107 kg) for at least 14 months now, regardless of how much sport I do and how clean I eat.

Then I read about how depression can lead to Thyroid problems (low/underactive thyroid), which in turn slows down your metabolism and makes it harder to lose/regulate weight. I haven't had my thyroid tested yet, but does anybody have any experience with a low thyroid and how that affected you?

I will turn 40 in 2 and a half years in October 2022 and I have decided to get "fit" again. I have 28 months to keep my promise to myself.

Should I start with a novice program again? Completely from scratch? I haven't been lifting weights for 3 years.

Right now I'm

37 years old
    6'0 ft (1.82 m)
    230 lbs (105 kg)
    Yes, start a novice program. Thyroid problems are unlikely, but not out of the question. They're easy to test, so no harm in checking it. My thyroid was damaged by radiation treatment for throat cancer about 3 years ago. I've been on a single dose of Levothyroxin per day ever since, and there have been no issues. I didn't realize it was low at first, and thought I felt fine, but once the hormones stabilized I could feel the difference in energy levels.

Also:

1. It shouldn't take 28 months. Start now, you'll see results, much, much sooner.
    2. No time frames. When you commit to a healthy fit lifestyle, make it a lifetime commitment.
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For sure get that checked out but I would also count calories for awhile to make sure what you are actually eating matches what you think you are eating.
    I have self deluded myself in that regard many times in my life and would need to count calories for awhile to re-calibrate.

pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pondman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's called being 40. You have to decide what activities you enjoy doing. You can do many of the things you did at 20. Somethings you'll do better. You have to just train for them appropriately.

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eating "Clean" doesn't mean weight loss, reduced calories do.

You could eat 4000 calories/day of nothing but chicken breasts and broccoli every day and even though you were "eating clean" you would still probably put on 2 pounds a week at that calorie level.

Figure out your maintenance calories per day and start eating at a reasonable deficit. As heavy as you are at the moment anywhere from 500-700 calories less a day should be fine.

Buy a food scale and weight/measure/log everything that you put into your mouth. That includes food, drinks, sauces, condiments, fruit, veggies....everything. If you don't do that then all you are doing is guessing about how many calories you are really consuming every day.

Re-start lifting with a beginner plan and just follow it without shortcuts for the next 4-6 months. At that point you can look at your progress and reevaluate how to proceed from there.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.