Thread: Squat form

gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000)

Cool Squat form

I'm 16 and I've been training for 2 years, I weigh 69 kg and I would like someone to help me with my squat form.

Yesterday I was going for a one-rep max of 140 kg and I completely smashed it, I guess I underestimated myself but when looking at the video I can see that my body is swinging to one side and the other which always happens when I go heavy on squats but also deadlifts.

Anyone know how to fix this problem ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4VpQph1ceg

gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000) gzumafia is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by gzumafia View Post
    I'm 16 and I've been training for 2 years, I weigh 69 kg and I would like someone to help me with my squat form.

Yesterday I was going for a one-rep max of 140 kg and I completely smashed it, I guess I underestimated myself but when looking at the video I can see that my body is swinging to one side and the other which always happens when I go heavy on squats but also deadlifts.

Anyone know how to fix this problem ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4VpQph1ceg
    bump

bump
    bump

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What I see is your body twisting with your right side going forward. The video is taken at an angle instead of from the side, so I cannot see your foot placement. Take a video from the side showing your whole body.

It seems that you are favoring one side over the other. That is, you are driving more with your right leg, which causes that side to push forward while the left side drifts back as it lags. It could also be that your core is not equally strong on both sides, with the twist being caused by a core muscle imbalance.

You say you twist during deadlifts too. Do you use an alternating (mixed) grip and do you change sides frequently or do you always have the same hand using the same grip? For anything less than a 1RM I prefer to use the regular double overhand grip when DL'g because it avoids creating imbalances.

What program are you following?
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

Originally Posted by RestoringTally View Post
    What I see is your body twisting with your right side going forward. The video is taken at an angle instead of from the side, so I cannot see your foot placement. Take a video from the side showing your whole body.

It seems that you are favoring one side over the other. That is, you are driving more with your right leg, which causes that side to push forward while the left side drifts back as it lags. It could also be that your core is not equally strong on both sides, with the twist being caused by a core muscle imbalance.

You say you twist during deadlifts too. Do you use an alternating (mixed) grip and do you change sides frequently or do you always have the same hand using the same grip? For anything less than a 1RM I prefer to use the regular double overhand grip when DL'g because it avoids creating imbalances.

What program are you following?
    I follow this program https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

When I deadlift heavy I use straps since I sweat a lot on my hands which means that I use the regular double overhand grip. I'll try to get more footage of my deadlift and squat from a better angle.

Regarding my core, I barley train core and I haven't done so for a very long time but I'm trying to start doing more core work now but i don't really know an effective way to do so.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I follow this program https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

When I deadlift heavy I use straps since I sweat a lot on my hands which means that I use the regular double overhand grip. I'll try to get more footage of my deadlift and squat from a better angle.

Regarding my core, I barley train core and I haven't done so for a very long time but I'm trying to start doing more core work now but i don't really know an effective way to do so.
    With straps and double-overhand grip on DL, you are maintaining balance on both sides of your body. That is good.

PHUL is a high volume program. I suggest working abdominals (core) during your off days. There are lots of things you could do: planks, landmine twists, kettlebell work, etc. Also, when doing your programmed lifts, make sure you are properly bracing your core. Focusing on your core during your lifts will likely mean you will have to lift lighter weights for a while until bracing becomes natural.

The question is, does your body twist when you are doing a regular set, not a 1RM? For a lot of lifters, their form gets wonky when doing a 1RM, but their form is solid when doing working sets. That is what you want to aim for. Also, unless the program calls for doing 1RM reps, you don't need do them unless you are training for a powerlifting meet. If you are doing 1RM as an ego lift, stop. Ego lifts often result in injury.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why do so few people squat to hips below knees?

Originally Posted by RestoringTally View Post
    With straps and double-overhand grip on DL, you are maintaining balance on both sides of your body. That is good.

PHUL is a high volume program. I suggest working abdominals (core) during your off days. There are lots of things you could do: planks, landmine twists, kettlebell work, etc. Also, when doing your programmed lifts, make sure you are properly bracing your core. Focusing on your core during your lifts will likely mean you will have to lift lighter weights for a while until bracing becomes natural.

The question is, does your body twist when you are doing a regular set, not a 1RM? For a lot of lifters, their form gets wonky when doing a 1RM, but their form is solid when doing working sets. That is what you want to aim for. Also, unless the program calls for doing 1RM reps, you don't need do them unless you are training for a powerlifting meet. If you are doing 1RM as an ego lift, stop. Ego lifts often result in injury.
    I just did 140kg 3x3 on conventional deadlift, It’s a very heavy weight for me but a friend checked my form and i had good form meaning no rounding of the back but he noticed that my body shifts alot to the left and I used the regular grip with straps. I didn’t feel any discomfort at all.

Maybe it’s because I recently switched from sumo to conventional but i also do the body shifting on sumo but not as much.

Ill post a video the next time i do working sets with deadlifts.

I just did 140kg 3x3 on conventional deadlift, It’s a very heavy weight for me but a friend checked my form and i had good form meaning no rounding of the back but he noticed that my body shifts alot to the left and I used the regular grip with straps. I didn’t feel any discomfort at all.

Maybe it’s because I recently switched from sumo to conventional but i also do the body shifting on sumo but not as much.

Ill post a video the next time i do working sets with deadlifts.
    https://youtu.be/aIbEFSKcdqE
    Heres a vid of me doing 100kg at the end of my workout, ill post a working set next time i train lower body

I’ve noticed you can see it more the heavier i go especially on conventional

MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you put on 20lbs of mass your squat will blow up huge. The second rep is a little shallow I would say for a powerlifting contest but it is hard to tell. Not sure about those shoes if they have squishy heals.
    I don't think your form is really a limiting factor here. If you are talking pound for pound strong as your goal you are under sized and need to gain more mass. No hurry with that though, you are young and that is a good 2X BW squat.

Here is a video of me doing a very heavy working set on deadlifts ( 145 kg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8uMWaWHnck

I went this heavy to get footage of how my body shifts to one side which you can clearly see in the video.

The form is questionable but I wanted to get the body shifting on film.

Registered User NortheastAthlet's Avatar
    NortheastAthlet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bro you are a stud! Might want to look into getting "Becoming a supple leopard" by dr. kelly starrett, I got it after GSP's coach Firas recommended it. My guess is an imbalance in knee and hip mobility. Try doing the couch stretch and see if that is the case, I'd check that first. Youtube Kelly Starrett Couch Stretch and his mobilization of the week should come up
    Host of the Northeast Athlete podcast. The show has a profile on insta, twitter, and ********.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here is a video of me doing a very heavy working set on deadlifts ( 145 kg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8uMWaWHnck

I went this heavy to get footage of how my body shifts to one side which you can clearly see in the video.

The form is questionable but I wanted to get the body shifting on film.
    Not a lot of bracing going on, otherwise don't see much wrong
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee