Reply
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Registered User XanderC's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    XanderC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    XanderC is offline

    Need Help With Starting Point

    I'm new to meal prep and I'm hoping to get some ideas or tips that would make it easier. I have a spreadsheet that I made that allows me to input measurements and give me TDEE and such. This made finding macros a bit easier, but I still have no idea what I need to do when it comes to meals. I work 5 days a week and am looking to start with meal prepping just the lunch for work. Any help would be appreciated. Also, my goal is to lose weight in conjunction with a beginner workout routine that I have found. Thanks!
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User Jcart159's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Age: 30
    Posts: 2,714
    Rep Power: 19133
    Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jcart159 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Jcart159 is offline
    Find a calorie level that has you gaining/losing/maintaining your weight at a desired rate (sounds like you already figured this out).

    - Eat adequate protein on a daily basis (at least 0.7g/lb)

    - Eat adequate fat on a daily basis (at least 0.45g/lb)

    - Fill your remaining calories with whatever mix of pro/fat/carb provides you optimal performance and happiness

    You can satisfy the requirements above by eating foods that you enjoy. Do your best to consume as many whole food sources as you can so that you can cover all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs for optimal health. You can hit your macros and calories on junk food and will make progress, but your long term health will not appreciate it. Veggies are bis.

    Gotta couple all of that with a proper training regimen, and you can't go wrong.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User XanderC's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    XanderC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    XanderC is offline
    Originally Posted by Jcart159 View Post
    Find a calorie level that has you gaining/losing/maintaining your weight at a desired rate (sounds like you already figured this out).

    - Eat adequate protein on a daily basis (at least 0.7g/lb)

    - Eat adequate fat on a daily basis (at least 0.45g/lb)

    - Fill your remaining calories with whatever mix of pro/fat/carb provides you optimal performance and happiness

    You can satisfy the requirements above by eating foods that you enjoy. Do your best to consume as many whole food sources as you can so that you can cover all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs for optimal health. You can hit your macros and calories on junk food and will make progress, but your long term health will not appreciate it. Veggies are bis.

    Gotta couple all of that with a proper training regimen, and you can't go wrong.
    Is that .7g/lb of lean body mass or .7g/lb of total body weight? I've seen it done both ways and wasn't sure given that I am overweight.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User AlexSays's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Age: 27
    Posts: 748
    Rep Power: 7345
    AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000) AlexSays is a name known to all. (+5000)
    AlexSays is offline
    Originally Posted by XanderC View Post
    Is that .7g/lb of lean body mass or .7g/lb of total body weight? I've seen it done both ways and wasn't sure given that I am overweight.
    If you have a reasonable estimate of lean body mass do it based on that (or if it's simpler just 1g per lb of lbm).

    I'm just going to re-emphasise Jcart's point above: you do not need to hit 'targets' in protein, fats and carbs, simply hit the minimums in protein and fats and then do whatever you want to fill your calories from there. Ratios are myths, specific amounts of carbs are irrelevant except to what extent your prefer them for energy etc.

    Also I just want to point out that you should be eating tasty things you enjoy. When we say fill the calories with whatever you want, it means whatever you want. Do not obsess over eating clean. Nutritious, whole foods tend to be more filling (so it is wise to make up most of your calories from them) but 'clean' food does not make you lose fat any faster, only the calories you are eating will do that. Major restrictions or bland 'clean' food will only make adherence and sustainability worse.

    Hope this helps and gives you an idea that how you eat can be made flexible and enjoyable even when trying to lose fat
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User XanderC's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2019
    Age: 50
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    XanderC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    XanderC is offline
    Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    If you have a reasonable estimate of lean body mass do it based on that (or if it's simpler just 1g per lb of lbm).

    I'm just going to re-emphasise Jcart's point above: you do not need to hit 'targets' in protein, fats and carbs, simply hit the minimums in protein and fats and then do whatever you want to fill your calories from there. Ratios are myths, specific amounts of carbs are irrelevant except to what extent your prefer them for energy etc.

    Also I just want to point out that you should be eating tasty things you enjoy. When we say fill the calories with whatever you want, it means whatever you want. Do not obsess over eating clean. Nutritious, whole foods tend to be more filling (so it is wise to make up most of your calories from them) but 'clean' food does not make you lose fat any faster, only the calories you are eating will do that. Major restrictions or bland 'clean' food will only make adherence and sustainability worse.

    Hope this helps and gives you an idea that how you eat can be made flexible and enjoyable even when trying to lose fat
    That's where I feel like I got a little lucky. I could eat chicken and seasoned broccoli with every meal. They're probably my two favorite foods.
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts