Thread: Bench growth

kolara is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bench growth

I have been working out for about a year now on and off. My squat has gone up roughly 50 lbs, but my bench will barely move. I’m watching friends (who do the exact same workouts in the morning with me) gain 10 lbs on bench in a week while I’ve been stuck for about a month.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kolara View Post
    I have been working out for about a year now on and off.
    I read this as "I play around and pretend to be interested in the gym and getting stronger..." ;-)

Seriously, there is so much that can go into this...

Maybe they are more disciplined than you and don't go to the gym "on and off".
    Maybe their nutrition and sleep is better.
    Are your arms a lot longer than theirs? Leverages are a big deal when benching.

kolara is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    I read this as "I play around and pretend to be interested in the gym and getting stronger..." ;-)

Seriously, there is so much that can go into this...

Maybe they are more disciplined than you and don't go to the gym "on and off".
    Maybe their nutrition and sleep is better.
    Are your arms a lot longer than theirs? Leverages are a big deal when benching.
    I workout a decent amount more. I believe they have a bit better nutrition, but my arms are significantly longer.

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I workout a decent amount more. I believe they have a bit better nutrition, but my arms are significantly longer.
    That's a big impact on bench press.

ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ADunn0MOTW is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I find that for bench everyone is very individual. Me for example, I was stuck on a 70-80kg bench for quite a few months when I did Madcows 5x5 and benched a wider grip. I changed to doing just one set a week of close grip bench (to failure) and this got my bench to about 110-120kg. I think you should try a lot of things; either bench more (more volume, frequency, less intensity) or bench less (less volume, less frequency, more intensity) and also try different grips - maybe if you are like me you might be more comfortable/ stronger with a closer grip (for me at least it helps me keep my shoulder blades closer together and then they don't move forward as much).
    poverty bench

jeremylalan7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been working out for about a year now on and off. My squat has gone up roughly 50 lbs, but my bench will barely move. I’m watching friends (who do the exact same workouts in the morning with me) gain 10 lbs on bench in a week while I’ve been stuck for about a month.
    I got the same problem when I was beginning, make sure that your technique is good! for me, it was the elbow not tucked in.