Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Keeping going as you get older

Hi all

Wanted to create a post to understand how you keep training as you get older?

I'm 48 and I've been training since I was around 14, so a decent stint. Obviously with age I expect things to get more difficult, but recently I'm struggling to recover between sessions and I get lots of inflammation if I increase my volume. I also just don't have as much energy to train and I don't want to take pre-workouts any more to get me up for it.

Is this a common problem?
    How do you approach it?
    Have you found any supplements to help

Cheers

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nkilmart View Post
    Hi all

I'm 48 and I've been training since I was around 14, so a decent stint. Obviously with age I expect things to get more difficult, but recently I'm struggling to recover between sessions and I get lots of inflammation if I increase my volume. I also just don't have as much energy to train and I don't want to take pre-workouts any more to get me up for it.

How do you approach it?

Cheers
    A lot will have to depend on your goals. I too have been training since I was in my teens, and for me, I just want to hold on to the mass that I have, be healthy, and have as few joints "barking" at me as possible. So I've been doing a relatively low volume, full body workout every third (sometimes fourth) day. One day is three hard sets of chest, three sets of pull-ups to near failure, and sometimes three sets of legs. The next day is three hard sets of shoulders, three sets of pull-ups to near failure, and three sets of legs. Between workout days I usually ride my bike for 10 miles each day and I have several challenging hills that give my legs (and my heart) a good workout. I don't use pre-workouts; I give myself a crazy amount of time between sets now that I'm back to working out at home, and I take tumeric/curcumin and a baby aspirin each day which MIGHT help for the inflammation.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hi all

How do you approach it?

Cheers
    How often do you deload? How do deloads compare with your regular program? How often do you switch your training structure around?

Sometimes a short break is all you need. Sometimes you have to rethink your approach a bit.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP this must be a record for join date to first post - 11 years, impressive!

I just turned 40 so close in age...I feel you on the less energy for working out part, I often feel like I'm forcing myself to lift where I used to enjoy and look forward to it.

For me, I've noticed I have to plan my lifting sessions now whereas when I was younger I could just go and lift on a whim 24/7. Now, I need to be well rested and it has to either be early in the morning or early evening after my lunch has settled. Can't do the late night lifting sessions like I used to.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    We I got to around 50 years of age, I found that I had to change from hitting body parts 3 times a week, I needed to drop to 2 times a week.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    Talk about a long time lurker!!
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) nkilmart will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    A lot will have to depend on your goals. I too have been training since I was in my teens, and for me, I just want to hold on to the mass that I have, be healthy, and have as few joints "barking" at me as possible. So I've been doing a relatively low volume, full body workout every third (sometimes fourth) day. One day is three hard sets of chest, three sets of pull-ups to near failure, and sometimes three sets of legs. The next day is three hard sets of shoulders, three sets of pull-ups to near failure, and three sets of legs. Between workout days I usually ride my bike for 10 miles each day and I have several challenging hills that give my legs (and my heart) a good workout. I don't use pre-workouts; I give myself a crazy amount of time between sets now that I'm back to working out at home, and I take tumeric/curcumin and a baby aspirin each day which MIGHT help for the inflammation.
    I'm the same. I'm less interested in gaining size than I used to be, more interested in overall health. So does that mean you're only training twice a week on average?

Interesting on the curcumin. I've heard lots about it for inflammation but never tried it. Do you think it works? How did you choose which one to take?

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    How often do you deload? How do deloads compare with your regular program? How often do you switch your training structure around?

Sometimes a short break is all you need. Sometimes you have to rethink your approach a bit.
    To be honest, I don't lift anywhere near as heavy as I used to I use and less volume. So on that basis I don't really reload with any great planning. I occasionally just take a complete week's rest when I feel I need to.

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post

I just turned 40 so close in age...I feel you on the less energy for working out part, I often feel like I'm forcing myself to lift where I used to enjoy and look forward to it.

For me, I've noticed I have to plan my lifting sessions now whereas when I was younger I could just go and lift on a whim 24/7. Now, I need to be well rested and it has to either be early in the morning or early evening after my lunch has settled. Can't do the late night lifting sessions like I used to.
    Lol. I was a bit surprised when it said that was my first post. I could have sworn I'd posted on here before but I'm probably just confusing it with one of the other forums.

I'm definitely more of a morning person, could never train in the evening at the best of times. Have you found anything to boost energy that's not some sort of stimulant?

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lol. I was a bit surprised when it said that was my first post. I could have sworn I'd posted on here before but I'm probably just confusing it with one of the other forums.

I'm definitely more of a morning person, could never train in the evening at the best of times. Have you found anything to boost energy that's not some sort of stimulant?
    I drink a lot of coffee, so no not really lol.

Other than that - food unless it's first thing in the morning and good sleep.

Registered User Eternalstuden79's Avatar
    Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000) Eternalstuden79 is just really nice. (+1000)
    20 years ago, I wanted to be the strongest guy in the gym. And no I never made it LOL.

Over the years I've now focused on being someone who is healthy and happy in there body, that means strong(ish), fit, and healthy. I like that I can still DL close to 400lb and I can still do a set of 10 pull ups. I also like that the young'us still approach me and ask about my training, and I like that at work I can still hold my own in phys.

It keeps me happy and motivated enough to keep going.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm the same. I'm less interested in gaining size than I used to be, more interested in overall health. So does that mean you're only training twice a week on average?

Interesting on the curcumin. I've heard lots about it for inflammation but never tried it. Do you think it works? How did you choose which one to take?
    Yes, working out just 2X per week or three if the three day rotation happens to be a Sun, Wed, Sat. The supplement is a combination of tumeric and curcumin. Professional bodybuilder John Meadows took a CRP test and the results showed LOTS of inflammation. He systematically tried different things with additional CRP tests used to determine the effectiveness of each, and he noted a huge decline in inflammation with the tumeric/curcumin combination. Regarding which one I take, to be honest I've been taking whatever seems to be the cheapest on Amazon, but I read recently that we should look for the USP verified symbol(?)/stamp(?) on supplements to confirm that we're getting what they claim we're getting, but tumeric itself is fairly cheap so I'd like to think that I've been getting what I've been paying for. I will say that I have few aches and pains, so there's that

Originally Posted by Eternalstuden79 View Post
    . . . and I can still do a set of 10 pull ups. I also like that the young'us still approach me and ask about my training, and I like that at work I can still hold my own in phys.
    Me too. After lifting in my basement for the last decade, I started going with my wife to Planet Fitness to support her. I have to admit, the recurring comments that I get after doing a set of 10+ pull-ups will really stroke a guy's ego

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your training routine should match your current capabilities not what you used to do 20 years ago. As you get older fatigue management becomes more important. Bottom line you're going to have to adjust your programming a bit, but once you do that you should be back in business in no time.

Originally Posted by blue9steel View Post
    Your training routine should match your current capabilities not what you used to do 20 years ago. As you get older fatigue management becomes more important. Bottom line you're going to have to adjust your programming a bit, but once you do that you should be back in business in no time.
    Great advice, thanks. Just wish I could train like I used to! C'est la vie

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Great advice, thanks. Just wish I could train like I used to! C'est la vie
    If I could still train like I used to, I wouldn't. I wish that back in the day I would have trained smarter.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Certainly as you get older training can be more challenging.
    First think of the benefits staying as strong as you can at your age and fighting muscle loss(sarcopenia)are both related to longevity and overall health.
    Meaning youll be way ahead of someone your age that doesn't train at all.
    Dealing with issues because of aging just happens.
    Some have less issues than others.
    Joint inflammation and really arthritis starts creeping in.
    For me keeping them warm with neroprened elbow and knee sleeves helps.
    What type of exercise movements you do need to be adjusted to be more joint friendly and only can know what is right for you.
    Try not to draw out your training sessions get in and out with some intensity on what you have to get done.
    Energy wise it may take a longer warm up to get going and i myself have a strong cup or two of coffee before hand.
    Examine you diet also.
    Make sure your eating fairly clean and foods that benefit your training.
    It isn't easy and you need to take it day by day.
    Good luck.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is an excellent question OP and it's an important question for sure.

Compromised recovery will see to it that as you age your training will decline a bit. You need to listen to your body. When it say uh uh you listen or else you're setting yourself up for problems down the road. The key will always try to be the best you can be and that best will change with age. This is for long term trainers and not the "I'm in the best shape of my life at 50" crew who have only been training for a short time.

I started when I was 6 with my mom every morning watching Jack LaLane and got interested in diet and training and started actually lifting at 18 and it's been an ongoing lifestyle mixed in with water sports. At 67 I'm in the gym 2x per week for full body training. That's all I can take now and recover properly.

I remember Frank Zane being asked a couple of years ago what he would have done different in his training career and he said he wouldn't have lifted so heavy for so long.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree with Payton1221: it depends on your goals. Why are you lifting and how long do you plan on lifting?

I will turn 65 in a couple months and have been lifting, off and on, since I was a teenager. My goal is to stay in shape and lift until I die, hopefully a long time from now. I own my own business and I sit too much during the day. Working out is how I stay active and fit.

I cycle my training by doing different programs every few months. Currently, I do full body workouts Mondays and Thursdays, and on the weekends I do HIIT and various accessory exercises. Before this I did a Stronglifts 5x5 for several months followed by a deload period. But those are my scheduled workouts. I generally do several sets of pushups when I wake in the morning. I have a gym at my office and I may do dips or something throughout the day as a micro-workout. I did 3 sets of pushups while I cooked my lunch today.

I track what I eat, mostly to ensure I get enough protein. I don't take a pre-workout, but I will have a protein shake afterwards.

If you are having trouble recovering between workouts, you may need to deload or increase the time between heavy workouts or check your diet.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RestoringTally View Post
    I agree with Payton1221: it depends on your goals. Why are you lifting and how long do you plan on lifting?

I will turn 65 in a couple months and have been lifting, off and on, since I was a teenager. My goal is to stay in shape and lift until I die, hopefully a long time from now. I own my own business and I sit too much during the day. Working out is how I stay active and fit.

I cycle my training by doing different programs every few months. Currently, I do full body workouts Mondays and Thursdays, and on the weekends I do HIIT and various accessory exercises. Before this I did a Stronglifts 5x5 for several months followed by a deload period. But those are my scheduled workouts. I generally do several sets of pushups when I wake in the morning. I have a gym at my office and I may do dips or something throughout the day as a micro-workout. I did 3 sets of pushups while I cooked my lunch today.

I track what I eat, mostly to ensure I get enough protein. I don't take a pre-workout, but I will have a protein shake afterwards.

If you are having trouble recovering between workouts, you may need to deload or increase the time between heavy workouts or check your diet.
    Good post and great approach Tally.

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes, working out just 2X per week or three if the three day rotation happens to be a Sun, Wed, Sat. The supplement is a combination of tumeric and curcumin. Professional bodybuilder John Meadows took a CRP test and the results showed LOTS of inflammation. He systematically tried different things with additional CRP tests used to determine the effectiveness of each, and he noted a huge decline in inflammation with the tumeric/curcumin combination. Regarding which one I take, to be honest I've been taking whatever seems to be the cheapest on Amazon, but I read recently that we should look for the USP verified symbol(?)/stamp(?) on supplements to confirm that we're getting what they claim we're getting, but tumeric itself is fairly cheap so I'd like to think that I've been getting what I've been paying for. I will say that I have few aches and pains, so there's that

Me too. After lifting in my basement for the last decade, I started going with my wife to Planet Fitness to support her. I have to admit, the recurring comments that I get after doing a set of 10+ pull-ups will really stroke a guy's ego
    yes turmeric FTW.

Planet Fitness? ONE pull-up there and you’re a fitness God....

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    yes turmeric FTW.

Only LUNKs do exercises like pullups (and deadlifts).
    If someone attempts a pullup, surely PF staff sound an alarm and throw them out?

MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MaxMaximorum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I am 50 and have been training since 14 also. I know my body at this point. If my sleep sucks, everything sucks. My sleep has been pretty bad this week so today I am just going for a 30 min walk. Taking ephedrine or something to get energy would be going in the wrong direction.
    I train hard as many days a week as I can but that is highly varying and dependent on so many variables. Stress is such a big variable that I certainly do not want to add stress worrying about my training.

LOL. I did some weighted pull-ups with a 35# DB supported with my crossed ankles in front of a paid "trainer" (not one of the PF staff) and his client. The client remarked how impressive it was, then the trainer said "I'll bet you get there one day," and then after a considerable pause he says "And I might too."

Originally Posted by MaxMaximorum View Post
    I am 50 and have been training since 14 also. I know my body at this point. If my sleep sucks, everything sucks. My sleep has been pretty bad this week so today I am just going for a 30 min walk. Taking ephedrine or something to get energy would be going in the wrong direction.
    I train hard as many days a week as I can but that is highly varying and dependent on so many variables. Stress is such a big variable that I certainly do not want to add stress worrying about my training.
    Great post. Sleep is SO important. I nap on the weekends and sometimes after work too. I take two Unisom each night. I never have trouble falling asleep, but the Unisom helps me fall asleep faster when I get up in the middle of the night . . . again . . . and again

Great post. Sleep is SO important. I nap on the weekends and sometimes after work too. I take two Unisom each night. I never have trouble falling asleep, but the Unisom helps me fall asleep faster when I get up in the middle of the night . . . again . . . and again
    Yep. noon till 130 phone is in airplane mode. I never had good luck with sleep aids....

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

This is an excellent question OP and it's an important question for sure.

Compromised recovery will see to it that as you age your training will decline a bit. You need to listen to your body. When it say uh uh you listen or else you're setting yourself up for problems down the road. The key will always try to be the best you can be and that best will change with age. This is for long term trainers and not the "I'm in the best shape of my life at 50" crew who have only been training for a short time.

I started when I was 6 with my mom every morning watching Jack LaLane and got interested in diet and training and started actually lifting at 18 and it's been an ongoing lifestyle mixed in with water sports. At 67 I'm in the gym 2x per week for full body training. That's all I can take now and recover properly.

I remember Frank Zane being asked a couple of years ago what he would have done different in his training career and he said he wouldn't have lifted so heavy for so long.
    Nearly 50 years of training, simply amazing. Hats off to you and quite inspirational. I have a few more years to reach that!

Originally Posted by RestoringTally View Post

I'm like you, in this for the long haul. I can't imagine a time when I won't train and I think it's so important for my health. When I was young, my goals were to simply look good. Now I'm older with a family, that's changed slightly, maintaining my health is the top priority. That's what keeps me going, even though it gets harder and harder each year.

Mikebf365 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi all

How do you approach it?

Cheers
    Hi nkilmart - I have also been working out since 15, and turning 30 now. Well, it has already started for me, and it is not getting easier. I have started to take way more alternative supplements, and spirulina, omega 3 and magnesium are three that I think help me a bit.

Originally Posted by Mikebf365 View Post
    Hi nkilmart - I have also been working out since 15, and turning 30 now. Well, it has already started for me, and it is not getting easier. I have started to take way more alternative supplements, and spirulina, omega 3 and magnesium are three that I think help me a bit.
    Awesome, thanks. I heard spirulina was good for reducing cholesterol, is that why you take it?

Omega 3 for inflammation?

startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) startingat56 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you are going to deal with aches and pains whether you lift heavy or not

my list

three toes with severed tendons
    arthritis
    detached bicep tendon
    carpal tunnel

you adapt and you deal with what you have

my left arm is a Popeye arm but I don't let it hold me back
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)