themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

is it really as easy as calories in > calories out etc

so, health aside, providing I get enough protein and fat I will gain muscle if I eat 300kcal over surplus and lose fat if I eat 500kcal less? as in, in theory I can eat a huge cake at 1000kcal and the rest in protein/fat etc (to make sure I get the correct amount of macros) and I will gain muscle or lose fat (providing I stick to surplus/deficit)? or is it vital that I avoid certain foods, include others etc.

obviously, assuming your workouts are spot on.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Most things are toxic in high enough doses - including water, oxygen, salt, sugar etc.

Dealing in extreme examples, therefore, doesn't help your understanding

But if you eat like a typical person (at least some variety) - but with one eye on macros and calories then yes, you can gain muscle just as well.

Location: Haverfordwest, Wales, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paulie1986 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pretty much...BUT.

Why not bake a protein cake?
    I have a good joke about water retention. But I'm going to hold onto it for now.

alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    calories out is complicated by many things

NEAT adjusts to diet, when you're eating a lot you make more subconscious movements and burn more cals. it's the opposite with eating little, and the extent to which this happens in either direction is determined by genetics

also there's a thermic effect of food, almost negligible for carbs/fats but significant (>20%) for protein and alcohol. they've done studies replacing carbs for ethanol, calorie-for-calorie, and the people lost weight.

calories in is complicated by things like hard starches in unripe fruit, which have calories in the calorimiter but your body can't really digest them (imagine the calories a piece of wood would generate in the calorimeter, even though its carbs are undigestible for humans). also by things like binge drinking, where you're not even getting close to all the alcohol calories cuz ur body is using the energy to get rid of more alcohol and metabolizing it in less efficient ways too.

but overall, in-vs-out is a good enough approximation long-term. the little things matter, well, only a little

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In your example, yes.

HOWEVER, your ability to accurately measure calories in or calories out will differ somewhat depending on food choice.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Overall yes. There are small factors to the contrary however they’re small and not really important. Concentrating on getting overall calories correct goes miles farther than worrying about the minor stuff
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) blue9steel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You must:

1) Control calories
    2) Control macros
    3) Lift weights

Pretty much everything else is either optional or not particularly important.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by alec935 View Post

NEAT adjusts to diet, when you're eating a lot you make more subconscious movements and burn more cals. it's the opposite with eating little, and the extent to which this happens in either direction is determined by genetics

also there's a thermic effect of food, almost negligible for carbs/fats but significant (>20%) for protein and alcohol. they've done studies replacing carbs for ethanol, calorie-for-calorie, and the people lost weight.

calories in is complicated by things like hard starches in unripe fruit, which have calories in the calorimiter but your body can't really digest them (imagine the calories a piece of wood would generate in the calorimeter, even though its carbs are undigestible for humans). also by things like binge drinking, where you're not even getting close to all the alcohol calories cuz ur body is using the energy to get rid of more alcohol and metabolizing it in less efficient ways too.

but overall, in-vs-out is a good enough approximation long-term. the little things matter, well, only a little
    I don't even know where to begin. And i'm trying to be a better person so i'm not going to just neg. Think about all the nonsense you just said and how it doesn't really apply to the OP. I get you probably just took into to nutrition in school and thought "hey! Now's my chance!" but it wasn't the right time, and you're missing some key concepts.
    Currently: traveling

Last country visited: Costa Rica - 2020
    Next country booked: Netherlands + Croatia - 2020

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by alec935 View Post

Fail
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Fail
    ?‎‎‎‎‎

Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    I don't even know where to begin. And i'm trying to be a better person so i'm not going to just neg. Think about all the nonsense you just said and how it doesn't really apply to the OP. I get you probably just took into to nutrition in school and thought "hey! Now's my chance!" but it wasn't the right time, and you're missing some key concepts.
    Thanks for not negging but not sure why anything I said is wrong. What key concepts am I missing?