Work56Guy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice on ab workout

I'm going to start training my abs. I'm doing PPLB and will do them after leg workout. I've selected the 4 exercises I want to do in my ab workout:

Plank
    Dead Bug
    Side Plank
    Mountain Climber

(I'm not doing things like crunches or sit ups because of lower back risk)

Can someone please advise does it matter what order I do these 4 exercises in? E.g would it be better to do the plank at the end, or start of the workout?

How many sets should I do of each ab exercise, and should I focus on doing each set for a set time (e.g a minute), or a certain number of reps?
    Last edited by Work56Guy; 06-06-2020 at 05:39 AM.

BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeginnerGainz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I’m generally against core training that isn’t isometric planks (but these aren’t great either), pallof presses, leg raises, reverse ccrunches, Ab wheel, etc because they use the abs as intended, to support the core as a whole and facilitate the transfer of power from the lower and upper body.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 06-06-2020 at 01:22 PM.

bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Work56Guy View Post
    I'm going to start training my abs. I'm doing PPLB and will do them after leg workout. I've selected the 4 exercises I want to do in my ab workout:

Plank
    Dead Bug
    Side Plank
    Mountain Climber

(I'm not doing things like crunches or sit ups because of lower back risk)

Can someone please advise does it matter what order I do these 4 exercises in? E.g would it be better to do the plank at the end, or start of the workout?

How many sets should I do of each ab exercise, and should I focus on doing each set for a set time (e.g a minute), or a certain number of reps?
    Abs are generally slow-twitch (they have to keep you upright all day, so no surprise there), which means you have to hit them often and hard, up to 3x per week.

Start with exercises you can do on the floor, low ROM and high rep: knee crunches, heel touches, leg raises, situps etc.

As you progress, your ROM will increase, and your reps will decrease: hanging leg raises (toes to the bar), GHD situps etc.

When your other supporting muscles (glutes, lower back) get stronger, you can progress to loaded exercises: standing dumbbell twists, dumbbell lumberjacks etc.
    Last edited by bropheus; 06-06-2020 at 03:07 PM.