themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

realistic rate of fat gain when bulking.

Ok so I am currently off the gym due to lockdown (it's killing me) and I have gained about 1 1/2lb in 2 months which is almost certainly fat (and maybe some muscle loss so possibly more fat gain) as the home workouts ain't doing ****. I am writing off this period before I can get back to the gym, I will still eat in moderation as I am currently attempting to eat at maintenance (though as you can see, my attempt has failed lol) but go over by 2-300kcal a day about 50% of the time. If I gain no more than 2-2 1/2 lbs by the time the gyms reopen (which I hope is August/sept at the latest) I will be happy.

Anyway, before the gyms closed I just started my bulk workout and diet after cutting from 87kg to 71kg, literally 1 week before lockdown....I was about 11% bf and I am now about 12-13%. I plan to start where I left off when I get back but want to know the realistic rate of fat gain so I can adjust my expectations, I will be eating a small surplus (300kcal) and aiming to gain about 1-2lb a month. I heard that for every 1lb of muscle you gain, you should expect to gain about 1lb of fat? surely that can't be right?

1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One pound of fat per one pound of muscle gained is too much.

Let the mirror guide you, progress pics every couple weeks, waist measurements, etc.. your plan is good - moderate surplus and gain 1-2lbs per month. First month may be more due to some fluid retention, but will level off.
    Curing disease.

Strong mind+Strong body = UNSTOPPABLE.

RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RapidFail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It depends how experienced you are and how much body fat you have. If you're an intermediate lifter with low body fat, then equal amounts of fat and muscle gained is a good result. An overweight beginner (or a lean beginner for that matter) can probably expect to gain almost entirely muscle with a small surplus.
    Last edited by RapidFail; 06-06-2020 at 08:25 PM.

themorganator4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    It depends how experienced you are and how much body fat you have. If you're an intermediate lifter with low body fat, then equal amounts of fat and muscle gained is a good result. An overweight beginner (or a lean beginner for that matter) can probably expect to gain almost entirely muscle with a small surplus.
    I have been lifting on and off for about 5 years however in the last 2-3 years I really overhauled everything (diet, workout etc) as my diet was poor and my workouts had no progression.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There are several factors. Training program, age, genetics and diet all play a part so the acceptable fat gain will vary. The trick is to obviously have minimum gain however all the above factors will determine that
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough