Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Build me a video editing PC dude

I need a PC that can do sick video editing in 4k video. I mainly use Premiere Pro and After Effects and do intensive things. I do not know anything about computer hardware, I don't know everything that is needed to make it turn on and do stuff.

Am not including monitor, mouse, keyboard. Need everything else. Budget $2000-2500 or something. I do not care about gaming performance, the goal is video editing performance. I understand that they overlap, but every aspect should be optimized for video editing and motion graphics.

I see there is a pc building website that people use to post builds. I'm cool with that. I don't want to dick around with inconvenient **** so it would be cool if I could buy everything in one place with one click, preferably zero clicks.

Whoever builds the best PC will recieve one free internet. Feel free to argue with each other and get super butt mad about everything because I am pro-lmao.

Thank you true friends.
    Misc Math Crew

dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dontstopbelief is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    here you go boyo

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wWGRx6

Case for completion purposes, change to suit your needs

InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What editing software are you using? If you go with Premiere Pro, you can now use hardware acceleration which leverages the GPU to expedite the encoding process. Doesn't work with HDR though so if you plan to do any HDR footage you'll need a thread-heavy CPU to tackle it.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WMbfZf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($699.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 240 74.82 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($106.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Mushkin PILOT 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB KO GAMING Video Card ($518.34 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Corsair)
    Total: $2090.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-05 23:15 EDT-0400
    Last edited by InstantLoser; 06-05-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    "That boulder is too large. I could lift a smaller one."

-Hercules

Starting Weight (July 2018) - 362
    Current Weight (July 2019) - 268

Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chrysippus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks brahs, will look into it all. This is the build my friend sent me:

As far as editing/programs, I do use premiere, but I do a lot of heavy visual effects in After Effects, so I am pretty concerned with After Effects performance. From what I understand, After Effects is pretty archaic though, so I don't want to overly focus on optimizing for an out of date program.

I don't know how relevant the specifics are, but I do a lot of motion graphics, animating, chroma-key, etc. I do math in a sort of "abstract space" so there are very few elements of reality left in my videos. I do use Premiere to key out stuff (since Keylight renders abysmally slow) but I don't use premiere much other than just basic "assembly" of the videos (I also use it to color grade and things of that nature).

Basically what my videos look like. I want a box that does that stuff good and fast brahs. Idk if this changes anything or if this is useful information, but this is the best answer I can give to the program inquiry.
    Misc Math Crew

InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InstantLoser has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Chrysippus View Post
    Thanks brahs, will look into it all. This is the build my friend sent me:

As far as editing/programs, I do use premiere, but I do a lot of heavy visual effects in After Effects, so I am pretty concerned with After Effects performance. From what I understand, After Effects is pretty archaic though, so I don't want to overly focus on optimizing for an out of date program.

I don't know how relevant the specifics are, but I do a lot of motion graphics, animating, chroma-key, etc. I do math in a sort of "abstract space" so there are very few elements of reality left in my videos. I do use Premiere to key out stuff (since Keylight renders abysmally slow) but I don't use premiere much other than just basic "assembly" of the videos (I also use it to color grade and things of that nature).

Basically what my videos look like. I want a box that does that stuff good and fast brahs. Idk if this changes anything or if this is useful information, but this is the best answer I can give to the program inquiry.
    The build from your friens isn't bad, but video editing is a CPU intensive task. The 3950x gives you 4 more cores vs the 3900x (it is more expensive of course however).

64GB of RAM may be necessary for the applications you're using, I don't know. I have 32GB in my desktop which has been more than sufficient to handle videos in Premier Pro. The memory he selected is pretty slow at 3000Mhz. Ryzen chips benefit from fast memory which is why I selected 3600Mhz. Much beyond that gets really pricey.
    The CPU cooler he selected is also questionable for a 3900x/3950x. They may say they can dissipate 150w TDP but I own a 3950x and they recommend water cooling right on the box. I have a Corsair H115i Pro on mine which is a 280mm radiator and the CPU can still get into the 70's under a heavy load. I'd question whether most air coolers could keep it from throttling. Maybe I'm wrong there, but I doubt it.

Finally as for storage, he selected a Gen4 NVME SSD of only 1TB. That's not enough space for someone who edits a lot of video. I have an external 4TB drive on top of 5TB of SSD storage (3TB NVME and 2TB SATA 3 SSD) and I burn through that ****. Gen4 is totally unnecessary and would provide ostensibly zero tangible benefit to you for a hefty price hike. The drive I listed was 2TB Gen3. I bet it's similar or lower in price for 2x the storage, and Linus TechTips recently did a video proving you can't tell the difference between SATA3, NVME Gen3 or 4. A higher capacity Gen3 drive is therefore preferable to a lower capacity but slightly faster (on paper) Gen4 drive.

Otherwise it's a good build and should do what you want.
    "That boulder is too large. I could lift a smaller one."

-Hercules

Starting Weight (July 2018) - 362
    Current Weight (July 2019) - 268

bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bongowongo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    tfw when phaggot OP bought a Ryzen 9 for pc editing and i'm here povertying it with a ryzen 7 for gaming

Also OP, did you buy an aftermarket cooler? I have a ryzen 7 3700 with an aftermarket cooler and someone told me it was pointless for an aftermarket cooler because the ryzen cooler does an incredible job as it already is.
    Sig line can't be a novel

Originally Posted by InstantLoser View Post
    The build from your friens isn't bad, but video editing is a CPU intensive task. The 3950x gives you 4 more cores vs the 3900x (it is more expensive of course however).

64GB of RAM may be necessary for the applications you're using, I don't know. I have 32GB in my desktop which has been more than sufficient to handle videos in Premier Pro. The memory he selected is pretty slow at 3000Mhz. Ryzen chips benefit from fast memory which is why I selected 3600Mhz. Much beyond that gets really pricey.
    The CPU cooler he selected is also questionable for a 3900x/3950x. They may say they can dissipate 150w TDP but I own a 3950x and they recommend water cooling right on the box. I have a Corsair H115i Pro on mine which is a 280mm radiator and the CPU can still get into the 70's under a heavy load. I'd question whether most air coolers could keep it from throttling. Maybe I'm wrong there, but I doubt it.

Finally as for storage, he selected a Gen4 NVME SSD of only 1TB. That's not enough space for someone who edits a lot of video. I have an external 4TB drive on top of 5TB of SSD storage (3TB NVME and 2TB SATA 3 SSD) and I burn through that ****. Gen4 is totally unnecessary and would provide ostensibly zero tangible benefit to you for a hefty price hike. The drive I listed was 2TB Gen3. I bet it's similar or lower in price for 2x the storage, and Linus TechTips recently did a video proving you can't tell the difference between SATA3, NVME Gen3 or 4. A higher capacity Gen3 drive is therefore preferable to a lower capacity but slightly faster (on paper) Gen4 drive.

Otherwise it's a good build and should do what you want.
    Regarding the core thing, I think he made that choice because After Effects currently only uses one cpu core, I don't know what the details of that limitation are or if that makes extra cores a nonfactor (even if After Effects is single core, more cores would give better performance when running multiple programs concurrently right?

I'm not extremely concerned with storage, as I have a metric ass**** of external harddrives because you are correct, space gets absolutely eaten up. I essentially only use external storage for video files and keep native storage for things like project files.
    Misc Math Crew