anonymous

What can I do about my sad, empty, feeling after working out?

Yesterday was the first time in my life that I did strenght training. The workout lasted 30 minutes and even though I finished it I had to take a lot of breaks and I used light weights which made me feel very bad. I also planned to do the same workout today but my muscels were so sore I could not do it so I did a indoor 40-minute powerwalk and just like yesterday I felt sad/depressed when I finished it. When I used to do cardio I felt content afterwards but I cannot keep doing cardio since I want to build muscle. Does anyone know how to stop this? And how can I finish a workout without taking many breaks like I did yesterday?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't know what routine you're doing, but in general you're supposed to take a lot of breaks in strength training (in between sets of your exercises). Since it was your first strength workout, light weights make sense as the goal is to progress over time. Also, giving your muscles a day to rest/recover before doing the exact same workout again is a good idea - and there's nothing wrong with cardio on off-days. You can do cardio while you gain muscle, it's more just making sure you're taking in enough calories.

Aside from making sure that your diet is in order and that you're following a proper novice program (like Fierce 5 or other routines in the stickies on the Workout forum page), I don't think you need to stop what you're doing. If you continue to feel sad/depressed after workouts, you may want to consult a doctor about that.

360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10) 360365LAWS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Naomiella View Post
    Yesterday was the first time in my life that I did strenght training. The workout lasted 30 minutes and even though I finished it I had to take a lot of breaks and I used light weights which made me feel very bad. I also planned to do the same workout today but my muscels were so sore I could not do it so I did a indoor 40-minute powerwalk and just like yesterday I felt sad/depressed when I finished it. When I used to do cardio I felt content afterwards but I cannot keep doing cardio since I want to build muscle. Does anyone know how to stop this? And how can I finish a workout without taking many breaks like I did yesterday?
    Hopefully, you're doing a good program, and you'll make progress. I don't love the fact that you said you wanted to do your next workout, but that you were too sore. If you truly couldn't do the workout that you were supposed to do then that's a bad sign. If it was just a matter of soreness then a workout will often cure the soreness.

I would also say that I've started working out again a number of times after periods of inactivity in which I lost all my "gains". I felt very depressed and unmotivated by the first week or two. As you start to see progress, and your body adapts to exercise, exercising becomes easier and you'll start to feel a lot better about what you're
    doing.

On the other hand, over-training can cause depression, and it's not too fun to spin your wheels doing a program that doesn't work. So, maybe you could post your workout, and we can make sure you're doing something that's going to work for you.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You should not be doing a weight workout that has you doing the same workout consecutive days in a row. This tells me you have a bad workout/approach.

jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500) jamesrobert1997 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Do some changes in your workout routine. Try not to push yourself too much hard in beginning, and follow a right diet plan.

anonymous
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Don't know what routine you're doing, but in general you're supposed to take a lot of breaks in strength training (in between sets of your exercises). Since it was your first strength workout, light weights make sense as the goal is to progress over time. Also, giving your muscles a day to rest/recover before doing the exact same workout again is a good idea - and there's nothing wrong with cardio on off-days. You can do cardio while you gain muscle, it's more just making sure you're taking in enough calories.

Aside from making sure that your diet is in order and that you're following a proper novice program (like Fierce 5 or other routines in the stickies on the Workout forum page), I don't think you need to stop what you're doing. If you continue to feel sad/depressed after workouts, you may want to consult a doctor about that.
    Thank you for yor tips. I'm glad I can also do cardio becaus I really like it

anonymous
    Originally Posted by 360365LAWS View Post
    Hopefully, you're doing a good program, and you'll make progress. I don't love the fact that you said you wanted to do your next workout, but that you were too sore. If you truly couldn't do the workout that you were supposed to do then that's a bad sign. If it was just a matter of soreness then a workout will often cure the soreness.

I would also say that I've started working out again a number of times after periods of inactivity in which I lost all my "gains". I felt very depressed and unmotivated by the first week or two. As you start to see progress, and your body adapts to exercise, exercising becomes easier and you'll start to feel a lot better about what you're
    doing.

On the other hand, over-training can cause depression, and it's not too fun to spin your wheels doing a program that doesn't work. So, maybe you could post your workout, and we can make sure you're doing something that's going to work for you.

Wow I had no idea that working out helped cure soreness. I will be doing that from now on and of course I wont overtrain. Thank you for your tips

anonymous
    Originally Posted by jamesrobert1997 View Post
    Do some changes in your workout routine. Try not to push yourself too much hard in beginning, and follow a right diet plan.
    Thank you!

bemegc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The soreness will be a none issue after a few workouts, in the meantime I would adjust the frequency.
    Once you start making progress without the extreme soreness you'll be much more motivated to train.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You may have some an issue medically that you might want to check with your doctor.
    For the most part after physical activity the majority of people get the "runners high"an endorphin release that is a good satisfied feeling.
    So not being a medical professional i wouldn't know what advise to give you.

Registered User DisguyzaFknm00k's Avatar
    DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000) DisguyzaFknm00k is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey man you can still do a lil bit of cardio and build muscle. I ride my bike 20 minutes up a long hill to the gym. I'm just getting back in the gym too so I'm taking lots of breaks and using light weights too. Just stick with it and it will get easier. I think you just feel sad cuz its a struggle. And do cardio if you enjoy it too! just make sure to eat in a caloric surplus.