ivanovichjones is on a distinguished road. (+10)

the NECK..why do so few bodybuilders train it?

i come from a background in combat sports
    and one thing you notice is that in boxing or wrestling
    or many other combat sports

you notice them working their neck muscles a lot
    because their sports demand it

but even from a looks department an muscular athlete
    should have a thick nick and not a chicken neck lol

many bodybuilders however have
    you see massive shoulders and chest-lats etc
    and a tiny neck of a 130 pound guy

and in the gym, the closest you see these guys to working
    the neck is doing strugs but almost never real neck work
    like you see combat sports people doing

why?

why do so few work that body part?

and you even notice trainers in the fitness community
    dont talk much about a strong neck etc

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It comes down esthetics for bodybuilding.
    A larger neck takes away from shoulder width and makes you look narrower.
    That being said i agree with you in that a skinny neck on a muscular body doesn't look right.
    There are some bodybuilders that do have good neck development one from the past that comes to mind is Jeff King a Mr Universe winner.
    You don't have to develop a huge neck but a muscular neck balances everything out.
    I still do neck on a regular basis.
    You won't see many or any average trainers have their clients do any neck work.
    For athletes that use the neck it is essential.
    I myself wrestled in high school and college so neck work has remained a part of my training even when i competed in bodybuilding.

Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Screwtape has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Jeff King is a guy who could have been Mr. Olympia if he made the jump from NABBA to IFBB, but feared there would be politics involved.
    Also, I agree - a thick neck and traps makes you look powerful.

ivanovichjones is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    It comes down esthetics for bodybuilding.
    A larger neck takes away from shoulder width and makes you look narrower.
    That being said i agree with you in that a skinny neck on a muscular body doesn't look right.
    There are some bodybuilders that do have good neck development one from the past that comes to mind is Jeff King a Mr Universe winner.
    You don't have to develop a huge neck but a muscular neck balances everything out.
    I still do neck on a regular basis.

You won't see many or any average trainers have their clients do any neck work.
    For athletes that use the neck it is essential.
    I myself wrestled in high school and college so neck work has remained a part of my training even when i competed in bodybuilding.
    nice about the wrestling, and great answer in general
    everything makes sense

xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As stated above, for esthetic reasons.
    As impressive as the neck is on Jeff King, in no way does it look good, and it shifts the attention from the rest of his body.