Registered User userPMQQD1REWVI's Avatar
    userPMQQD1REWVI is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Does the protein in milk reduces when turning the milk into cottage cheese?

We know that 1L of milk gives roughly 32g of protein or so, in which 80% is casein. When separating the curd from the whey, that's going to give roughly 130g of casein or so, which would give around 16g of protein. The whey would give approx 8g. so, where did the rest of the 8g go? does the milk lose protein when is turned into cheese?

alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alec935 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Cheesemaking denatures the whey proteins. Idk when but I'd guess through curdling. The denatured whey is drained away.

I would expect the casein to be less "slow digesting" after the process (connective matrix has probably been separated somewhat) but I'm not a cheese expert ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Water evaporates changing the weight and volume.
    Superbus est, qui loquitur in prouerbiis Latinis.

paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just drink the milk and forget about the other details that are irrelevant.

Source: Me dealing with irrelevant details in business dealings.

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Water evaporates changing the weight and volume.
    Thank you for your reply

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Just drink the milk and forget about the other details that are irrelevant.

Source: Me dealing with irrelevant details in business dealings.
    That's exactly what I ended up doing, drinking 2L of low-fat milk daily apart from eggs and legumes. It just hurts lol losing those 7g or so of protein in the cheese-making process.

Originally Posted by alec935 View Post
    Cheesemaking denatures the whey proteins. Idk when but I'd guess through curdling. The denatured whey is drained away.

I would expect the casein to be less "slow digesting" after the process (connective matrix has probably been separated somewhat) but I'm not a cheese expert ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Thank you! this explanation satisfied my curiosity.