Thread: Just venting

mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Just venting

This isn't about advice, it's more just to vent.

In 2012 I had the worst chronic fatigue of my life, for reasons that are more complex than a simple post can explain, I believed I had MS and decided to "give up" for the year on working out and spent the entire year on my couch. As an ecto, I lost most of my muscle mass and basically couldn't walk very far without my legs going shaky and being overcome with anxiety. This triggered an anxiety disorder which I've since dealt with through exercise and overall healthy habits.

In the years since, I crawled out of the depression & fatigue, lifted 3-5x a week, got my squat up to 5x5 225, built big arms, and overall felt great about myself.

Fast forward to 2020, and those bad times of 2012 are way behind me (I'm doing way better than then), but I'm still incredibly _frustrated_. When the pandemic first started, I figured I could use a month away from the gym to soothe my aches and pains form being a 36 year old who lifts. With each week came less and less ability to exercise. I finally dropped 400+ bucks on a set of dumbells to use on my balcony, and I injured _both_ ****ing wrists somehow during the first day. Fast forward 2 more months and both wrists have gotten worse, not better. I've tried a "maintenance" workout with them every other week or so, because I'm watching myself lose years of progress day by day and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm basically down to just occasional runs and situps. I've felt anxious more days than most about this whole thing. I've been drinking more than I'd like (which still isn't too much), but I'm getting depressed. It seems like the whole world is going to **** around me and my only way to keep my mind off of it is work & lift.

Okay vent over.

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mfarrell View Post
    This isn't about advice, it's more just to vent.

In 2012 I had the worst chronic fatigue of my life, for reasons that are more complex than a simple post can explain, I believed I had MS and decided to "give up" for the year on working out and spent the entire year on my couch. As an ecto, I lost most of my muscle mass and basically couldn't walk very far without my legs going shaky and being overcome with anxiety. This triggered an anxiety disorder which I've since dealt with through exercise and overall healthy habits.

In the years since, I crawled out of the depression & fatigue, lifted 3-5x a week, got my squat up to 5x5 225, built big arms, and overall felt great about myself.

Fast forward to 2020, and those bad times of 2012 are way behind me (I'm doing way better than then), but I'm still incredibly _frustrated_. When the pandemic first started, I figured I could use a month away from the gym to soothe my aches and pains form being a 36 year old who lifts. With each week came less and less ability to exercise. I finally dropped 400+ bucks on a set of dumbells to use on my balcony, and I injured _both_ ****ing wrists somehow during the first day. Fast forward 2 more months and both wrists have gotten worse, not better. I've tried a "maintenance" workout with them every other week or so, because I'm watching myself lose years of progress day by day and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm basically down to just occasional runs and situps. I've felt anxious more days than most about this whole thing. I've been drinking more than I'd like (which still isn't too much), but I'm getting depressed. It seems like the whole world is going to **** around me and my only way to keep my mind off of it is work & lift.

Okay vent over.

2012 was horrible for me, things just started getting better, but now all this stuff is happening?

I miss the 90s, but that was Clinton, he was a reason we lost so many jobs overseas? Many left people say the past was racist? They didn’t live in the 90s I did, we were all doing well back then?

mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mfarrell has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    that's bad-ass. that does help. thanks for sharing. I've noticed I still look reasonably cut and athletic. It's more the fear of it going away rapidly. I'm eating protein like a mfer trying to hold on to what little i have.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mfarrell View Post
    that's bad-ass. that does help. thanks for sharing. I've noticed I still look reasonably cut and athletic. It's more the fear of it going away rapidly. I'm eating protein like a mfer trying to hold on to what little i have.
    if you're drinking more than you'd like, you're drinking too much. That's a big source of depression. Let the wrists heal, but check them often. Is the problem with them in pulling or pushing movements? There are still bodyweight exercises you can do to keep fit, and if you're capable of situps and running, then make them more than occasional.

All this will pass.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    All this will pass.

Easy for a guy who lives in the middle of no where to say. If you were to live near a democrat city you'll realize it just gets worse and worse.

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    You know, you really DON’T need to voice you political insults in EVERY thread. This is a forum about lifting, TRY to stay on topic and contribute....there are sub forums where people will happily listen to that crap.

Another guy who lives in the sticks, BTW the subject states "just venting".

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    Another guy who lives in the sticks, BTW the subject states "just venting".
    Just giving you a chance to neg me as I just negged you.

Man, go over to misc and start your own whines about living in a city then. Don’t try to bring everyone else down just because you’re constantly miserable.
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Originally Posted by Corbets View Post
    Just giving you a chance to neg me as I just negged you.

Man, go over to misc and start your own whines about living in a city then. Don’t try to bring everyone else down just because you’re constantly miserable.

In 2012 I got about as skinny as you, I can't let that happen again

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    In 2012 I got about as skinny as you, I can't let that happen again
    I blame Obama for that.
    -Voltaire

I blame Obama for that.
    No it was actually Bush and Clinton, the damage was done by the time Obama came but all he did was talk about how we should just be equal to a poor 3rd world country!

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Dude! Don’t feed the pests, they’ll just keep coming back for more!
    I try to make both sides happy!
    -Voltaire

I try to make both sides happy!

I used to give some lifting advice, but I always got $hit on, so I stopped.

Now if you were able to spot something out here in OP's post (but he's not really looking for advice) and those cough, cough wrist issues, you tell ma man to cruise over to that home workout thread and check out those 3"bar lifts.

Truth be told, after training with that bar 15 years ago, my wrist never get injured. You don't see 42 years old doing full cleans without wrist wraps very often, I fully promote my ability to be able to without pain from thickbar.

Lifting straps ain't always answer, I ain't interested in tooting my horn, it just so happened the gyms closed, and the home workout thread was born, I decided to do some filming in these "tough times".

Unlike what some other dude thinks, the thickbar is "training" my wrists are "trained", they don't get injured anymore.

I used to give some lifting advice, but I always got $hit on, so I stopped.

Now if you were able to spot something out here in OP's post (but he's not really looking for advice) and those cough, cough wrist issues, you tell ma man to cruise over to that home workout thread and check out those 3"bar lifts.

Truth be told, after training with that bar 15 years ago, my wrist never get injured. You don't see 42 years old doing full cleans without wrist wraps very often, I fully promote my ability to be able to without pain from thickbar.

Lifting straps ain't always answer, I ain't interested in tooting my horn, it just so happened the gyms closed, and the home workout thread was born, I decided to do some filming in these "tough times".

Unlike what some other dude thinks, the thickbar is "training" my wrists are "trained", they don't get injured anymore.
    I'm not going to recommend anything specific for the guy's wrists, because I have no idea what kind of injuries they are. I had a non-lifting related injury to my wrists a couple of years ago when I tried to cut a cable with too-small cutters. I hurt the first one, so shifted hands, and hurt that one too. I couldn't do flat-palm pushups for a couple of months, but I could still hold a bar. So I got a couple of those grip handles put on the floor and grab when I do pushups. I like them so much I kept using them even after the wrist healed.

OP likely has something totally different going on, so my advice on that is meaningless. Without more details, I think recommending a specific bar is meaningless as well.
    -Voltaire

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP... So you hurt your wrists. What can you do with them?

Can you do a few (not to failure) pull-ups without hurting the wrists.
    Can you get underneath a big table and use it to do bodyweight rows
    Can you do sit ups and leg raises
    Can you do air squats

There's got to be some stuff you can do. Take a look at the gif linked in my sig line. Only looking at easy step 1 for each exercise (for now) --- which ones can you do? All of them?

xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Unless it's a severe injury, you should feel a difference between push and pull exercises. You'll still be limited, but at least there would some options.

thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get a pair of those weightlifting gloves. The ones that have wrist-straps attached to them.
    *Addicted to swimming during the summer crew.*
    *Despisement of 2nd hand smoke crew.*
    *Bring back the Commodore 64 crew.*
    *Create a new electric car/vehicle thats under 5 grand crew !*
    *I work very hard for very little pay crew. : ( *
    *I am just "Not Of" this stupid selfish world crew.*
    *I feel annoyed and disgusted of people pre-occupied with they're smart-phones crew. : / *
    *I grew up an Ultra Late Bloomer crew.*

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Give CBD oil a try. I can give you two really good company names if you would like, CBD has helped with my anxiety and sleeping big time.
    Last edited by adamgentile; 06-25-2020 at 10:03 AM.