darkroast is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is it time to start cutting?

I've been overweight/skinny fat most of my life so around 2-3 years ago I started going to the gym (I'm 27 now). The first year or so I lost some weight but still had no muscle (you can see how I looked after about 6 months of hitting the gym in my pics from Jan 2018). From Jan 2018 - Present I have been trying to bulk up and put some muscle on (See latest pics). I have a few questions:

1) Are my gains noticeable and does this seem like a reasonable amount of progress over this period?
    2) Should I start cutting now or keep working on building my frame?
    3) Will my gains become more noticeable if I start cutting now?
    4) Estimates of current BF % would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Attached Images

Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by darkroast View Post
    I've been overweight/skinny fat most of my life so around 2-3 years ago I started going to the gym (I'm 27 now). The first year or so I lost some weight but still had no muscle (you can see how I looked after about 6 months of hitting the gym in my pics from Jan 2018). From Jan 2018 - Present I have been trying to bulk up and put some muscle on (See latest pics). I have a few questions:

1) Are my gains noticeable and does this seem like a reasonable amount of progress over this period?
    2) Should I start cutting now or keep working on building my frame?
    3) Will my gains become more noticeable if I start cutting now?
    4) Estimates of current BF % would be appreciated.

Cheers
    What does your lifting routine look like?? I hate to sound harsh but you look like you gained more fat. You need to get on a proper program and progressive overload it as much as you can. I would definitely start cutting. Forget bulking at this time. You are in a spot where you can lose fat and gain muscle while cutting pretty easily. Cut slowly and get strong on your big compound lifts. Look up Fierce 5, stronglifts or ICF 2.0.
    Last edited by Gringer; 06-02-2020 at 03:50 PM.
    Personal bests: (1RM'S)

S: 167kg
    B: 101kg
    D: 160kg
    O.H.P: 74kg
    C.U: 33kg

Kanye West 2020 πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ alec935's Avatar
    alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alec935 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It doesn't look like you have a ton of muscle. That's a good thing because it means you can cut and gain muscle at the same time! You can do a very impressive body recomp but you have to completely change your routine.

darkroast is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Gringer View Post
    What does your lifting routine look like?? I hate to sound harsh but you look like you gained more fat. You need to get on a proper program and progressive overload it as much as you can. I would definitely start cutting. Forget bulking at this time. You are in a spot where you can lose fat and gain muscle while cutting pretty easily. Cut slowly and get strong on your big compound lifts. Look up Fierce 5, stronglifts or ICF 2.0.
    Cheers for the reply - I was also feeling that I should start cutting. I was doing fierce 5 religiously for about 6 months then switched to a push/pull split because I felt like I had plateaued. With covid I am currently following the muscleandstrength 5 day dumbbell split. How long do you think I need to cut for?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What is your height and weight? You probably have 25 pounds or more to lose...

Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by darkroast View Post
    Cheers for the reply - I was also feeling that I should start cutting. I was doing fierce 5 religiously for about 6 months then switched to a push/pull split because I felt like I had plateaued. With covid I am currently following the muscleandstrength 5 day dumbbell split. How long do you think I need to cut for?
    You would be best cutting until your below 15% bodyfat. Lose a lb a week and focus on getting strong at the big 3. Platueing is normal. It usually means it is time to deload the weight and work back up. Very effective. You shouldn't bother with PPL. You would be way better doing full body 3x a week.
    Personal bests: (1RM'S)

S: 167kg
    B: 101kg
    D: 160kg
    O.H.P: 74kg
    C.U: 33kg