ReboundReps is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Anterior shoulder pain

I've had shoulder impingement in the past, aswell as a slightly winging scapular.

I have recently started getting back into training with some light upper body work - but hitting obstacles with my shoulder (which I thought seemed fine until recently) mainly in the way of shoulder pain with certain exercises.

It used to be that I was getting some pain in the back of my shoulder when doing rear dumbbell flys, but this appears to have gone after doing a lot of external rotation exercises and foam rolling / stretching around my back, rotator cuffs, pec minor, upper traps etc.

Now the only problem I'm getting really is when I do something like, bicycle crunches, I get some pain in the front of my shoulder.

Could it be that I just need to do more of the above?

I've also been doing a lot of 'push-up plus' exercises in an attempt to fix my winging scapular, and I'm wondering if I've overdone it... perhaps causing this shoulder discomfort that I'm getting

As a side note, I also reguarly get this 'urge' in my day-to-day life to be shrugging my shoulders, and moving my shoulders forwards... Im guessing this may be related?

I'm starting to wonder what else I could even try to sort my shoulder out for good, if anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can easily overdo things if you're in rehab-mode, so maybe you need to do LESS, not more?

ReboundReps is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xilk View Post
    You can easily overdo things if you're in rehab-mode, so maybe you need to do LESS, not more?
    Thanks, that did cross my mind, but I think I may have figured it out myself.

I think I needed to focus on scapular depression exercises (a physio gave me these a couple years ago). So have been focusing on straight-arm shoulder extensions on a bench with very light dumbbells and slow reps.

So far I think that's doing the trick.

sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    find a "throwers 10" program (typical AC/RC/Scap/Labrum routine) to work with. Some of the exercises are band based, some can be stepped up to include weights. For my issues I've found that scarecrows/cuban presses, paloff press, and face pulls have tended to balance me out so I incorporate them when I do upper body work.

JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeDelts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had shoulder issues for years only to discover that it was really being caused by a tight/injured biceps tendon. At the top where your biceps attach. I finally made it better through a combination of really digging in there with my thumb and a tennis ball to loosen it up and then stretching it out. The stretching was painful but I could literally feel the scar tissue being ripped apart, releasing/freeing up the whole area.