Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Powerblock Pro 5-70

23 53.49%
  • Ironmaster 5-75

20 46.51%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    You can use saw tables for stands or just make it out of wood. If entirely wood, I imagine you could make one for under $40, possibly free if you have the scrap.
    My thoughts exactly, I could make a nice and stout wooden table with even a bottom shelf and save a ton of money on it.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    My thoughts exactly, I could make a nice and stout wooden table with even a bottom shelf and save a ton of money on it.
    Lots of clever DIY stands here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/searc...hid=2759451541
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    I definitely wanna check out some ideas, but it's a broken link brother lol.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I definitely wanna check out some ideas, but it's a broken link brother lol.
    I double checked the link before I posted it, too. Maybe, you can't link to multiple threads. The search terms were 'homemade powerblock stand'. Copy and paste into the search box.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is a stand for the Powerblocks helpful? I have no issue deadlifting 90 lb dumbbells from the floor (I don't plan to go heavier than that with the Powerblocks), but curious if there is some other purpose?

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    Is a stand for the Powerblocks helpful? I have no issue deadlifting 90 lb dumbbells from the floor (I don't plan to go heavier than that with the Powerblocks), but curious if there is some other purpose?
    It's a bit more convenient for selector pin changes, at first, at least. My Rubbermade stands keep them 10 inches off the ground.

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    IM's above 90 are the way to go for sure and as much as I love my PBs...I'd own both if I was a big dumbbell person. Guy I bought my PBs from was selling IMs too but was keeping one set (either the IMs or PBs for himself and only selling one option). Went PB and never looked back.

Ironically DB pullovers are the one exercise I miss and PBs can't do them. I do pullovers with my multigrip bar fine (hardly ever do them sadly) but I have fond memories of DB pullovers from back in the day.
    DB Pullovers are definitely underrated and an excellent movement, I used to do them with the IM DB on an old cheap bench press I had laying around that had a decline feature on it and get an awesome stretch throughout the ROM.

I had since sold that bench, but wouldn't mind getting an FID bench dedicated to the DB station so I don't have to switch out my FI bench back and forth from the leverage system station (thinking maybe the Legend 4-Way, or IM Super Bench Pro).

With the above mentioned, I can't wait to put the quick adjustments of the PBs for a run when I get them and start adding in a bit more DB work into my routine again.

DB Pullovers are definitely underrated and an excellent movement, I used to do them with the IM DB on an old cheap bench press I had laying around that had a decline feature on it and get an awesome stretch throughout the ROM.

I had since sold that bench, but wouldn't mind getting an FID bench dedicated to the DB station so I don't have to switch out my FI bench back and forth from the leverage system station (thinking maybe the Legend 4-Way, or IM Super Bench Pro).

With the above mentioned, I can't wait to put the quick adjustments of the PBs for a run when I get them and start adding in a bit more DB work into my routine again.
    If the dumbbells are going to be in a fixed location for the duration of an exercise ie. floor presses or in front of a hyperextension bench, etc., you'll no doubt load them to the work set weight and move the selector pins to the warm up weights. Yesterday, I put a pair of 90s in front of my hyper apparatus and worked up from a pair of 40s to the 90s. I'd like to see someone do that with IronMasters. They'd be there all day.

Supramax, awesome! Can the outer cage handles be used as well for certain movements, or would that risk damaging the block?

C123C, do you own one of the previous models that went up to 125, or 130 lbs?

Supramax, awesome! Can the outer cage handles be used as well for certain movements, or would that risk damaging the block?
    If you're talking about the rods that connect the plates, I've never tried it and see no point. However, you can hold the dumbbell upside down by the adder weight tubes. I can go up to 60lbs before my fingers won't fit between the adder weight tubes and the connector bars. It works well for pullovers.

If you're talking about the rods that connect the plates, I've never tried it and see no point. However, you can hold the dumbbell upside down by the adder weight tubes. I can go up to 60lbs before my fingers won't fit between the adder weight tubes and the connector bars. It works well for pullovers.
    Thanks and yep I was referring to the adder weight tubes, seems like it would open up a few additional movements.

I checked out the DIY stand too, if I go that route I would definitely try to make it like 22" in height, otherwise I would try to maybe catch the Pro rack stand during a promotional sale.

Thanks and yep I was referring to the adder weight tubes, seems like it would open up a few additional movements.

I checked out the DIY stand too, if I go that route I would definitely try to make it like 22" in height, otherwise I would try to maybe catch the Pro rack stand during a promotional sale.
    The Pro Rack is overkill for a pair of 90 lb dumbbells. The most you'd need is the
    Home Rack Stand. I'll probably buy it one of these days, too.

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The Pro Rack is overkill for a pair of 90 lb dumbbells. The most you'd need is the
    Home Rack Stand. I'll probably buy it one of these days, too.
    This one is even cheaper and they say goes up to 90: https://powerblock.com/product/column-stand/

Yesterday they had a banner at the top saying they would get more product in this weekend but now that banner is gone so I have no idea what is going on, lol.

This one is even cheaper and they say goes up to 90: https://powerblock.com/product/column-stand/

Yesterday they had a banner at the top saying they would get more product in this weekend but now that banner is gone so I have no idea what is going on, lol.
    It's cheaper alright. Apparently, the vertical column is plastic. I've read that it also has poor balance. PowerBlock doesn't ship to Canada, anyways and Fitness Depot is completely out of anything PowerBlock.

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's cheaper alright. Apparently, the vertical column is plastic. I've read that it also has poor balance. PowerBlock doesn't ship to Canada, anyways and Fitness Depot is completely out of anything PowerBlock.
    Assuming nothing has changed in the last couple years, it's made primarily of metal with a plastic base. It's stable enough, but it isn't made particularly well.

One of the PowerBlock sets I flipped was a very early model with a very heavy stand made entirely of steel. I considered swapping it with my new stand and refurbishing it, but at the time I was really busy w/ work and figured I would eventually come across another one like it in better condition. Nope. Kicking myself for not keeping that one.

Last edited by Duplicitous; 06-13-2020 at 06:43 AM.

Duplicitous,

I just watched a two year old unboxing and assembly video and you're correct. I read about 'poor balance' on the forum and I don't remember where I read 'made of plastic'. I'd still go for the Home Rack Stand over the Column Stand, though, but the column stand is better than I thought.

They might've taken that banner down since it's the weekend now, but who knows. I've been stalking their page for the Pro Stage 3 70-90 lb add-on kit, but nothing yet...

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks like powerblocks fit on an Ironmaster stand. I just measured the IM stand I have, it has a 13.75" x 19" top surface, and the PB Elite 90 is 6"x16" per dumbbell.
    Last edited by ampire; 06-13-2020 at 10:17 AM.

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)

C123C, do you own one of the previous models that went up to 125, or 130 lbs?
    I own the old Pro Rexan set with Big Block expansion from 90-130lbs. Original stand too. Made in USA and milled plates. Love it.

On the other question you can use the columns to hold but once you get to a decent weight the plates/bars don't allow you grip access anymore. Probably okay for a female but decently strong male...don't even bother trying. I heard about the idea and got a set or too in before having the "Doh, should have seen that coming" moment.

For dumbbell pullovers I always loved doing them cross bench style. Keep your butt low and really stretch back with flat bench supporting your upper back and feet on the floor. Let's you get a mega stretch in the torso with peak tension parallel to the floor. For whatever reason that was always really effective for me and the whole Old School saying that it "expands the rib cage" sure did seem valid at least for me. I've tried tons of ways but this was really the best for my body
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    I own the old Pro Rexan set with Big Block expansion from 90-130lbs. Original stand too. Made in USA and milled plates. Love it.

On the other question you can use the columns to hold but once you get to a decent weight the plates/bars don't allow you grip access anymore. Probably okay for a female but decently strong male...don't even bother trying. I heard about the idea and got a set or too in before having the "Doh, should have seen that coming" moment.

For dumbbell pullovers I always loved doing them cross bench style. Keep your butt low and really stretch back with flat bench supporting your upper back and feet on the floor. Let's you get a mega stretch in the torso with peak tension parallel to the floor. For whatever reason that was always really effective for me and the whole Old School saying that it "expands the rib cage" sure did seem valid at least for me. I've tried tons of ways but this was really the best for my body
    Nice! I would gladly sacrifice some ergonomic improvements and features for a pair that goes up to 130 lbs milled and made in USA! It's too bad they also discontinued the U125s as well and from what I've heard they bumped the higher increments exclusively to the commercial line due to a lot of the buyer's of the home use line being casual users and staying at the lower increments, but for the rest of us that kinda sucks...especially if they were late to the previous party (like me) I was too close minded at the time of the unconventional design on the PBs and never really gave them a closer look until now lol.

So the combination of both PBs and IMs for incremental completion will have to suffice for me, incidentally it's been 10 years from the time I purchased my set of IMs to the present on the PBs that are on their way.

Rib cage expansion is no joke with DB pullovers, I also seem to get the definition doing them and will definitely consider going back to them more seriously on the old-school version and see where it takes my progress (it will also save me some dough in the meantime too with my lack of decline feature on my benches).
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 06-15-2020 at 06:37 PM.

My Pro EXP 5-70 lb set came in today, but since they're technically a birthday present I gotta wait until the end of July to open them. I'll post my thoughts on them around that time lol.

My Pro EXP 5-70 lb set came in today, but since they're technically a birthday present I gotta wait until the end of July to open them. I'll post my thoughts on them around that time lol.
    You should unbox them and check them out to make sure there aren't any defects and that everything is tight and secure. You'll need to put them through their paces with some lifting. I'm sure that the person who bought them for you will understand.

You should unbox them and check them out to make sure there aren't any defects and that everything is tight and secure. You'll need to put them through their paces with some lifting. I'm sure that the person who bought them for you will understand.
    Hahaha I'll probably inspect them when I place the boxes where they have to go in my gym. I'm probably gonna go with the home rack stand too some time soon, I seen a video on the previous model that held the U125s and it appears to be built well.

It would be nice if Powerblock adds a Stage 4 90-125 lb add on kit to their current models available in the home use line like they did with the previous Urethane series even if it was similar to something like having to call it in as a special order type add on like on the Ironmaster 165 lb kit.

Hahaha I'll probably inspect them when I place the boxes where they have to go in my gym. I'm probably gonna go with the home rack stand too some time soon, I seen a video on the previous model that held the U125s and it appears to be built well.

It would be nice if Powerblock adds a Stage 4 90-125 lb add on kit to their current models available in the home use line like they did with the previous Urethane series even if it was similar to something like having to call it in as a special order type add on like on the Ironmaster 165 lb kit.
    Years ago, after I bought my Sport EXPs, I wrote and asked them if they intended to produce a stage 4, 90-125 lb add on kit for the Sport EXPs. They responded that they weren't planning to.

Years ago, after I bought my Sport EXPs, I wrote and asked them if they intended to produce a stage 4, 90-125 lb add on kit for the Sport EXPs. They responded that they weren't planning to.
    Aside from the color scheme change on the rails and the extra additional expansion being taken off, do you know of the specific differences/improvements that are on the Pro EXPs in comparison to the previous/discontinued U series?

Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hello! I stepped away from the forum after I placed my order and decided to log in today. Sorry for the late replies!

Originally Posted by SwagMorris View Post
    I was just reading this thread out of curiosity. No dog in the fight. But that’s the coolest living room I’ve ever seen!
    Thank you, i love it!

Sure looks like the lady is walking the walk, eh? I keep forgetting to ask the model number of that Rogue rack/squat stand... looks like a squat stand, but there's horizontals going back from the verticals with the spotter arms.

EDIT: ... think I found it... it's an HR-2 half rack???
    Yes HR-2. When i was researching home gyms for apartments, I came across another post from a member a few years back who went with an HR-2 for compactness (same floor profile as a squat stand, but with built in plate storage) and I copied the setup. Very happy with it.

End of July to post pictures?? Come on now...

Aside from the color scheme change on the rails and the extra additional expansion being taken off, do you know of the specific differences/improvements that are on the Pro EXPs in comparison to the previous/discontinued U series?
    Nope, several differences i've noticed so far. First the little switch thing to open and close the adder weights is on one side rather than at the top, and automatically closes when you stick the handle back into the weight stack. Secondly if you look at just the handle by itself on the older U90's they had 2 black cylinders at the top of the handle (not the ones near the bottom where the adder weights insert, but also skinnier ones at the top in addition to the bottom ones), the Pro EXP's do not. Thirdly, the Pro EXP's feel more balanced than the U90's did during some movements. Its been a few years but they feel way more refined.

Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you all again who helped me in this thread and the other thread on choosing this set. I used to have the Rogue Hex set of dumbbells, and I much prefer the grip on these. The handles on my hex set were very inconsistent as far as the knurling...some was extremely sharp while on others (the 2nd dumbbell of the same weight) would be very dull. Not to mention the space it took up. Unless I have a huge gym in the future, I can't see ever needing anything else other than the powerblock DB's.

DVO- I took a picture at the the angle of my Pro EXP's so you could see what I was talking about in my post above...if you compare it to pics of the U90's handles online (near the top you'll see the two "extra" black non added-weight cylinders on the older model. Not having these makes your hand and wrist feel way more free. You know, you could have just opened up your set and looked for yourself. Just saying....

EDIT: I'm still going back and forth on the stand. The one i'm eyeing is the home rack stand. I can see absolutely needing a stand if i were working out in a garage or something as it seems super gross to kneel so you can see the weight changes you're making. However, in my indoor gym, where the floor stays pretty clean, I think it matters less.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Deadlift5; 06-20-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Deep-Voiced-One,

Deadlift5 thoroughly answered your question. Just to add, though, the "2 black cylinders at the top" were covered in a dense foam.

The Pro EXPs are beautiful, too.

Last edited by supramax; 06-21-2020 at 05:10 AM.

Deadlift5 and Supramax,

Thanks for answering my questions, before my previous post was answered I opened the boxes and inspected the Pro EXPs and had a slight brain fart looking at the commercial ones on their site making me forget the features on the home version (the commercials have the extra cylinders on them as opposed to the home version that frees up valuable hand space).

That said, the newer Pros are definitely improved upon in several factors as DL5 stated and in the meantime if I'm not using them from the floor, I'll probably sub in my IM stand in the meantime until I get the home rack stand.

Deadlift5 and Supramax,

Thanks for answering my questions, before my previous post was answered I opened the boxes and inspected the Pro EXPs and had a slight brain fart looking at the commercial ones on their site making me forget the features on the home version (the commercials have the extra cylinders on them as opposed to the home version that frees up valuable hand space).

That said, the newer Pros are definitely improved upon in several factors as DL5 stated and in the meantime if I'm not using them from the floor, I'll probably sub in my IM stand in the meantime until I get the home rack stand.
    Will you make sure you reply back and let us know how the home rack stand is working out for you? I'm thinking about getting one as well. Like you, i've had no problem just grabbing them up off the floor, but I haven't used them for anything heavy yet either.