Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Powerblock Pro 5-70

23 53.49%
  • Ironmaster 5-75

20 46.51%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Some kind of stand with plate storage space is absolutely necessary for the IronMasters. The lady will discover that having her PowerBlocks on the floor is a bit inconvenient. With tax, my Sport EXPs were a little South of $800.
    Definitely agree on needing to have a stand/storage with the IMs and wow on the PB Sport EXPs totaling to that price after tax, so I imagine the Pro EXPs after tax must be more...which is why they all should include their stands lol.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 06-06-2020 at 01:23 PM.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Definitely agree on needing to have a stand/storage with the IMs and wow on the PB Sport EXPs totaling to that price after tax, so I imagine the Pro EXPs after tax must be more...which is why they all should include their stands lol.
    I'm talking Canadian money and Quebec tax. Pre tax they were $690 (approx). I bought them at Fitness Depot who are currently completely out of PowerBlock stock. However, when I checked at the end of April, the PowerBlock Sport EXPs that I paid a few bucks shy of $800 (inc. tax) for a few years ago, were $1,200 before tax.
    Last edited by supramax; 06-06-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000) Deep-Voiced-One is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Anyone ever try these Commercial Pro Powerblocks that can go up to 175lbs if you get the 125lb set?

Steel knurled handles and stainless steel hardware.

You can also get them non EXP in 50 and 90lbs and includes the stand (at a premium of course)...

https://powerblock.com/product/commercial-pro-series/

Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Anyone ever try these Commercial Pro Powerblocks that can go up to 175lbs if you get the 125lb set?

You can also get them non EXP in 50 and 90lbs and includes the stand (at a premium of course)...l]
    I can’t post a link but if you google “reddit powerblock commercial” The first link should be a review about them...the guy didn’t seem to have a very favorable view.
    Last edited by Deadlift5; 06-07-2020 at 12:23 AM.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deadlift5 View Post
    I can’t post a link but if you google “reddit powerblock commercial” The first link should be a review about them...the guy didn’t seem to have a very favorable view.
    What? This was his only complaint:
    "Cons: The only disappointment with these is the excessive play between the handle and first plate which allows the entire weight stack to shift back and forth if the handle isn’t held perfectly level during movements. This happens with both sets of handles and with pressing and pulling motions. I contacted Powerblock and was told this amount of play was normal."

It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.

Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What? This was his only complaint:
    "Cons: The only disappointment with these is the excessive play between the handle and first plate which allows the entire weight stack to shift back and forth if the handle isn’t held perfectly level during movements. This happens with both sets of handles and with pressing and pulling motions. I contacted Powerblock and was told this amount of play was normal."
    Ehh I read it like a week ago when I was researching powerblocks so that was the impression I was left with from what I remembered. In any case, it was one of the few reviews I had found about it. Just wanted Deep to have a full view. Past the comments Supra mentioned, theres also a couple pro's, a pic, a video of the issue he mentioned, etc. Worth looking through!

Ehh I read it like a week ago when I was researching powerblocks so that was the impression I was left with from what I remembered. In any case, it was one of the few reviews I had found about it. Just wanted Deep to have a full view. Past the comments Supra mentioned, theres also a couple pro's, a pic, a video of the issue he mentioned, etc. Worth looking through!
    I think that the excessive play problem is fixable with a layer or two of felt glued to the outer edges of the handles that face the plates. The real problem is the ridiculous price. Commercial Pro 90's are $1300 US ($1,625 CAD)+ tax = $1,869. That's over a thousand dollars more than I paid for the Sport EXPs, just to get flexible urethane coated plates, a stand and to not have to bother with adder weights.
    Last edited by supramax; 06-07-2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: clarity

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The last time I looked at their heavy commercial sets the jumps between weight selections were completely messed up AND NOT JUST ABOVE 90lbs. They changed their site but it used to list all the weight increments you could use. It went up to 175lbs but the number of increments didn't really increase so huge jumps and all over. By the number of plates on the 175lbs picture I'd assume that's still the same as it's a proxy for number of increments between maximum (175lbs) and minimum (handles or one plate).
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

You can also get them non EXP in 50 and 90lbs and includes the stand (at a premium of course)...

https://powerblock.com/product/commercial-pro-series/
    The failure point for the urethane models is the urethane (plastic) ear on each plate where the rod goes through, so I don't think the stainless steel addition will help with longevity.

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    The last time I looked at their heavy commercial sets the jumps between weight selections were completely messed up AND NOT JUST ABOVE 90lbs. They changed their site but it used to list all the weight increments you could use. It went up to 175lbs but the number of increments didn't really increase so huge jumps and all over. By the number of plates on the 175lbs picture I'd assume that's still the same as it's a proxy for number of increments between maximum (175lbs) and minimum (handles or one plate).
    Rogue lists the increments. It's 7 1/2 lbs. Scroll down to 'PRO 175 COMMERCIAL SET'.
    https://www.roguefitness.com/powerblocks-commercial-use

Deadlift5, I appreciate the mention of the review and took a look at it, I also seen a video and additional link with comparisons of the Pro EXPs and Commercial Pros stating what C123C, Supra and Ampire mentioned as far as the odd weight jumps and similar adjustment point.

Incidently the Commercial Pro 50s and 90s have the knurled steel handles and the 125/175s are TPR handles (just caught that on the product page).

Everyone helped me make up my mind on the Powerblocks and I decided when they're back in stock to get the Pro EXP 5-90s and eventually get the 120 lb and 165 lb add on kits for my Ironmasters to get the best of both worlds, I see myself using quick warm up adjustments, dropsets and supersets with the lower range weight increments on the PBs and then going with the higher range weight options on the IMs.

The price jump on the Commercial PBs are kinda insane and come with some drawbacks, so I would be much better off getting each listed above a little at a time.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 06-08-2020 at 12:29 PM.

For 5-90 lbs, I think the Sport EXPs are the best choice. https://powerblock.com/product/sport/
    They have 28 increments instead of 18 and they're welded... none of the ridiculous screws into plastic craziness.

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For 5-90 lbs, I think the Sport EXPs are the best choice. https://powerblock.com/product/sport/
    They have 28 increments instead of 18 and they're welded... none of the ridiculous screws into plastic craziness.
    I think PowerBlocks idea was to mitigate problems caused by minor drops. Once the welded plates get bent out of shape, it's a challenge getting them perfectly straight again. Although I personally haven't had problems with the Pro EXP non-welded design, it would give me a little more peace of mind to have them welded and I never drop them, so the intended benefits of the non-welded are lost on me.

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    I think PowerBlocks idea was to mitigate problems caused by minor drops. Once the welded plates get bent out of shape, it's a challenge getting them perfectly straight again. Although I personally haven't had problems with the Pro EXP non-welded design, it would give me a little more peace of mind to have them welded and I never drop them, so the intended benefits of the non-welded are lost on me.
    So, that's the idea behind it, is it? I'd rather deal with bent steel.

Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mxchino will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wish they still made their xxxl set. Went up to 125 and 175 but the jumps were MUCH more manageable. Each handle had 4 adder weights.

Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Duplicitous is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mxchino View Post
    I wish they still made their xxxl set. Went up to 125 and 175 but the jumps were MUCH more manageable. Each handle had 4 adder weights.
    I saw a 125-lb set of these on Marketplace for $800 just days before the pandemic shutdown. I almost bought them, but I couldn't justify the added expense over my current Pro EXP set. I was kicking myself a week later when PB pricing would have allowed me to sell mine for much more.

So Ironmasters will be in stock June 11th.

I am pretty set on the Powerblock Pro EXP 0-70, but i've seen a couple people in the comments on Instagram saying they've been waiting since February for a restock on them. Even though people keep mentioning they're signed up for the notifications, Powerblock is still giving them the same "sorry, due to the current situation blah blah, please sign up for notifications" without providing any sort of ETA of when they'll be back in stock.

I wouldn't mind waiting if they said "We're hoping mid july, or get on a waiting list with a distributor, etc". But as it stands, it's making my decision much harder.

Originally Posted by Mxchino View Post

C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000) C123C is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Rogue lists the increments. It's 7 1/2 lbs. Scroll down to 'PRO 175 COMMERCIAL SET'.
    https://www.roguefitness.com/powerblocks-commercial-use
    While not the standard 5lbs jumps, still not nearly as bad as I had in my memory. That said if you have females or kids using them (or anything other than a decently strong male) 7.5lbs jumps are A LOT especially if we aren't talking presses or rows. Would be fine for me, though honestly I wouldn't make it near the top end of that set on my pressing.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

While not the standard 5lbs jumps, still not nearly as bad as I had in my memory. That said if you have females or kids using them (or anything other than a decently strong male) 7.5lbs jumps are A LOT especially if we aren't talking presses or rows. Would be fine for me, though honestly I wouldn't make it near the top end of that set on my pressing.
    Well, for sure the presses you mention aren't overhead presses, because 15 lb jumps are a lot when the weight's going overhead. Quite possibly the most difficult progressive overload exercise. I digress. I know the ones you're talking about. Since the "Urethane" series was discontinued, I wonder really if the screws still thread into plastic

It's a really tempting set to get if/when they get them back in stock, I think my reasoning for not going for them is the expense, but even aside from that it's that I would find more value in the standard jumps for a plethora of other movements aside from just DB bench pressing and rows and have the IMs handle the higher ranges for those.

Once one reaches the 165 to 175 lb each arm, they must make for a solid floor press.

It's a really tempting set to get if/when they get them back in stock, I think my reasoning for not going for them is the expense, but even aside from that it's that I would find more value in the standard jumps for a plethora of other movements aside from just DB bench pressing and rows and have the IMs handle the higher ranges for those.

Once one reaches the 165 to 175 lb each arm, they must make for a solid floor press.
    IM's above 90 are the way to go for sure and as much as I love my PBs...I'd own both if I was a big dumbbell person. Guy I bought my PBs from was selling IMs too but was keeping one set (either the IMs or PBs for himself and only selling one option). Went PB and never looked back.

Ironically DB pullovers are the one exercise I miss and PBs can't do them. I do pullovers with my multigrip bar fine (hardly ever do them sadly) but I have fond memories of DB pullovers from back in the day.

PowerBlock Pro 0-70 in stock right now. Just got my set ordered. Thanks guys for the help!

PowerBlock Pro 0-70 in stock right now. Just got my set ordered. Thanks guys for the help!
    Thanks for the heads up! Right behind ya and synched my order in too...it's too bad they didn't have the Stage 3 kit to 90 lbs in stock yet, but I got the EXP version for whenever they do restock it.

The site was super slow and glitchy when I ordered (probably high demand traffic), but I got the confirmation so all is good.

Thanks for the heads up! Right behind ya and synched my order in too...it's too bad they didn't have the Stage 3 kit to 90 lbs in stock yet, but I got the EXP version for whenever they do restock it.

The site was super slow and glitchy when I ordered (probably high demand traffic), but I got the confirmation so all is good.
    Looks like we got the same set! Are you buying a stand? Which one?

The Home rack stand seems really stout, but pricey.

Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bmad16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ironmaster >>>>>> Powerblock, I cannot even believe anyone halfway serious about putting together a worthwhile home gym would consider powerblocks over Ironmaster. The ironmasters are legit super solid and can be configured to go up to 180lbs. The only thing better is a complete set of dumbbells which obviously takes up a lot more room and also significantly more money.

SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwagMorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's a visual thing for me I think. I live in an apartment so my rack and powerblocks are going into the living room. I'm thinking they'll look better sitting on the floor next to my tv, than having a stand there. Luckily, the carpet thing wont be an issue! Anyways, heres a picture for some context.
    I was just reading this thread out of curiosity. No dog in the fight. But that’s the coolest living room I’ve ever seen!

Originally Posted by SwagMorris View Post
    I was just reading this thread out of curiosity. No dog in the fight. But that’s the coolest living room I’ve ever seen!
    Sure looks like the lady is walking the walk, eh? I keep forgetting to ask the model number of that Rogue rack/squat stand... looks like a squat stand, but there's horizontals going back from the verticals with the spotter arms.

EDIT: ... think I found it... it's an HR-2 half rack???
    Last edited by supramax; 06-10-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Looks like we got the same set! Are you buying a stand? Which one?

The Home rack stand seems really stout, but pricey.
    If I don't DIY something then I'm thinking about it, I was looking at the one you mentioned and they sell one called the Pro rack stand (although it's hard to tell if it has a protective rubber surface on contact points, it should for the premium they charge on it) and they're both quite steep in price for what they are.

Here's a link to the Pro rack stand...

https://powerblock.com/product/pro-rack-stand/

The column stand is trash, I seen a video review of it (very unstable and cheaply made) don't buy that one.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If I don't DIY something then I'm thinking about it, I was looking at the one you mentioned and they sell one called the Pro rack stand (although it's hard to tell if it has a protective rubber surface on contact points, it should for the premium they charge on it) and they're both quite steep in price for what they are.

Here's a link to the Pro rack stand...

https://powerblock.com/product/pro-rack-stand/

The column stand is trash, I seen a video review of it (very unstable and cheaply made) don't buy that one.
    You can use saw tables for stands or just make it out of wood. If entirely wood, I imagine you could make one for under $40, possibly free if you have the scrap.