manhatten123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Skinny fat / Where to Start

I'm looking to get rid of my skinny fat look.
    At the moment I'm looking to use lat pulldowns as a way of getting onto the pull up bar.
    I weight about 90kg, and I heard that if you can do about 70% of your weight then you should be able to do a pullup. I think I need to do this as a struggle for any back activation. I do the widest handgrip and can do about 50kg (5x8).
    In terms of chest I do a lot of pec flyes (5x8) and pressups (3x12) to help with development.

To be honest, I look at every part of my body and just see it as deficient. Should I focus on a different area each day?
    I think particularly weak parts are abs, arms, legs, back. I think muscle activation is the biggest problem I have so I'm looking into isometrics.
    Should I focus on a different body area each day or would for someone with my low muscle tone it not make much difference?
    Attached Images

lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lancefraudd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by manhatten123 View Post
    At the moment I'm looking to use lat pulldowns as a way of getting onto the pull up bar.
    I weight about 90kg, and I heard that if you can do about 70% of your weight then you should be able to do a pullup. I think I need to do this as a struggle for any back activation. I do the widest handgrip and can do about 50kg (5x8).
    In terms of chest I do a lot of pec flyes (5x8) and pressups (3x12) to help with development.

To be honest, I look at every part of my body and just see it as deficient. Should I focus on a different area each day?
    I think particularly weak parts are abs, arms, legs, back. I think muscle activation is the biggest problem I have so I'm looking into isometrics.
    Should I focus on a different body area each day or would for someone with my low muscle tone it not make much difference?
    Where to begin? Same place we all do -- at the beginning. You're a novice, you need to start a novice program. Forget isometrics. Forget about a different part each day. Find a proven, professionally developed, novice weight training program that will work your entire body and provide you gradual progressive overload over time.

There are some to choose from here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

You can also try Starting Strength.

Which precise program you pick at this point is less important than to pick one and take it through a complete cycle without quitting. During that period, research the basis of what you are doing and why you are doing it, begin learning your strengths and weaknesses, and what you enjoy. At the end of a cycle, evaluate your progress. By then, you should be a little more familiar with the process and with your response, and move on to a program that you can stick with longer term, and that suits your needs.

It's not rocket science. It's hard work, but the concepts are easy.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think you're being a little hard on yourself, from your picture I think you have good potential and could make really good progress in the next 12 months.

The advice above is good. Also figure out your daily calories - I'd perhaps advise eating at a slight deficit to begin with to shed some of the fat, and from an untrained state you'll probably still grow muscle in the early stages.

Lat pulldowns are great for building up to pull-ups. Personally I don't go with a really wide grip like most people, I just go with what feels natural and comfortable. Whatever programme and exercises you do, keep a record of your lifts so you know you're always getting stronger.

bemegc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is little intrinsic value in doing pull ups for the sake of it, you'd be better served by pulldowns to gain the required strength to eventually do pull ups without too much cheating.
    The biggest advantage of being a novice is that you'll be making extremely quick and easy gains, just don't get used to it
    Start with getting strong in the core exercises in the 10-12 rep range, until you learn to perform the exercises anatomically correct. Keep it simple, keep it safe.

Natural Wheelchair Mr. O marinevet63031's Avatar
    marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) marinevet63031 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't worry about the workout too much. So many of the muscle magazines and internet saturate the novice with too much information. It is ridiculous. Everyone has a pill, powder, potion, workout etc. The information given above is perfect concerning direction on how to start. Look at that link. So start a beginner's workout - follow it for 12 weeks. Keep track of your weights used during the exercises. Go by feel. Look, form and nutrition is the absolute most important. Concentrate on that first. Sleep and recover.

Good luck
    *Cardinals, Blues, Chiefs, MLS *
    *PNBA Wheelchair Natural Mr. Olympia, Champion*
    *Disabled US Marine Corps Combat Veteran 1992-1997*

xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't overthink it, just begin with going to the gym regularly.

bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500) bropheus is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by manhatten123 View Post
    Heavy compound lifts: squat, deadlift, bent-over row etc.
    The idea is to raise your androgen levels and to get your metabolism going.
    And a cut, because it's easier to stay motivated when you see some beginner gains.
    For sure hire a professional coach to help you avoid injury and other beginner mistakes.