Registered User davewebdesigner's Avatar
    davewebdesigner is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile What's next for me?

Hi folks

I have a busy lifestyle, got wife, 2 kids and a demanding business. However I set myself up a simple gym at home a year or two ago and have gotten much fitter since, I have noticed I have more energy which is great.
    I do feel better, you notice more energy when you have young kids to entertain!

Anyway, I'm a slim 40 year old guy, around 12'6 in weight, 5ft 11" in height

I do a 30 min workout most weekdays and use creatin and protein flapjacks and shakes.
    I want to gain more size. I have been successful with biceps to a degree, I think a little on the triceps and chest too, but really feel like at this stage I need some change to push to the next level.

I will work out 3 times a week, doing either:

5 mins punchbag
    30 sit ups
    concentration curls - 5 reps x 4 sets 15KG dumbells
    30 sit ups
    dumbbell flys - 9 reps x 4 sets 15KG dumbbells
    5 - 10 mins on the exercise bike

or

5 mins punchbag
    30 sit ups
    hammer curls - 5 reps x 4 sets 15KG dumbbells
    30 sit ups
    dumbbell kickbacks around 3 sets of 12 with 15KG dumbbells.

or I'll do some squats with dumbell shoulder press - 4 reps x 4 sets 12.5KG dumbbells

I'll have a day of rest in between each, although I may do some squats/cardio.

My wife cooks pretty large meals and I will have 2x protein flapjack or 1 shake and 1/2 flapjacks per day so hope I am getting enough calories/protein?

That's just a rough idea, want to build arms / shoulders / chest really.

Any advice would be awesome, thanks guys!

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Go here to figure out how to lift such that you can build mass - note the concept of progressive overload in particular: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

And go here to learn how to calculate your caloric intake and macros such that you can fuel the changes you want in your body: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=136691851

Anything more than that, we can’t really help with, because you haven’t done any of the basic reading yet. But those will be good starting points to learn what you need to do.
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Thanks, forgot to say I am doing progressive overload, increasing reps each time

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by davewebdesigner View Post
    Hi folks

I have a busy lifestyle, got wife, 2 kids and a demanding business. However I set myself up a simple gym at home a year or two ago and have gotten much fitter since, I have noticed I have more energy which is great.
    I do feel better, you notice more energy when you have young kids to entertain!

Anyway, I'm a slim 40 year old guy, around 12'6 in weight, 5ft 11" in height

I do a 30 min workout most weekdays and use creatin and protein flapjacks and shakes.
    I want to gain more size. I have been successful with biceps to a degree, I think a little on the triceps and chest too, but really feel like at this stage I need some change to push to the next level.

I will work out 3 times a week, doing either:

5 mins punchbag
    30 sit ups
    concentration curls - 5 reps x 4 sets 15KG dumbells
    30 sit ups
    dumbbell flys - 9 reps x 4 sets 15KG dumbbells

or

5 mins punchbag
    30 sit ups
    hammer curls - 5 reps x 4 sets 15KG dumbbells
    30 sit ups
    dumbbell kickbacks around 3 sets of 12 with 15KG dumbbells.

or I'll do some squats with dumbell shoulder press - 4 reps x 4 sets 12.5KG dumbbells

I'll have a day of rest in between each, although I may do some squats/cardio.

My wife cooks pretty large meals and I will have 2x protein flapjack or 1 shake and 1/2 flapjacks per day so hope I am getting enough calories/protein?

That's just a rough idea, want to build arms / shoulders / chest really.

Any advice would be awesome, thanks guys!
    Check out the link Corbets provided. The program you envision is a bit unbalanced if your goal is hypertrophy. There's nothing addressing your back, your shoulders, your quads, your hamstrings, or your glutes, except cardio. It's good general exercise, but it's not something that's likely to build much muscle mass.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you ever heard the expression "mirror muscles"?

Downwards pull (pull-ups etc)
    Upwards push (OHP etc)
    Push away from chest (bench etc)
    Pull towards chest (rows)
    Crunch tummy (sit-ups)
    Hinge hips (like deadlift etc)
    Push with legs (squats)

This isn't a complete list of bodily movements but it's often considered the minimal list of "big" movements of the body

You need some form of structured exercise and weights program that trains ALL of these movements

Thanks guys! Great to be learning.
    I'll check out more exercises I can do based on your idea.