FloatingLeaf is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Strange Sharp Pain When Deadlifting.

Hey all hope you're doing super!
    (19, Male)
    I've got a strange one today...

So I've been working out seriously for approx 2 years now, my lifts have significatly increased over this time (110kg Bench, 45kg curls etc) blah blah blah,
    but ive never had deadlifting in my workout routine because for some reason it really hurts my hips in a specific spot (the top of the wings) (apparently called Illium) its usually a super sharp pain (7/10 pain), and this happens even on super low weights like 40kg.
    So i've just avoided deadlifting and found other ways of working out those muscles, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and or knows what it may be?

It may also be worth noting i am rather tall 6'6 (around 2M) and dont have the best posture ever.

Thank you for you time

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You really need to work with a sports physio (when conditions allow) because if you take advice from (even well meaning) people off the internet, it could lead to injury.

In the meantime, if you can do it without pain, I recommend barbell hip thrusters, hip abduction machine (or clamshells using a band) and hamstring curls. This can help that general area but may or may not be a solution to your issue.

Again, don't do any of the above if it causes pain.

KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KathleenRyan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FloatingLeaf View Post
    ...ive never had deadlifting in my workout routine...
    ....So i've just avoided deadlifting

...It may also be worth noting i am rather tall 6'6 (around 2M) and dont have the best posture ever.
    Between those three things, I can almost guarantee you that your form is off. Can you film and upload a video of yourself doing some lightweight deadlifts so we can see what you're doing? Do you have the same pain if you do a sumo stance deadlift, or a trap bar deadlift?

Since you're on the upper end of the "tall" spectrum, I'd highly recommend you watch this on YouTube - "Deadlift Set-up and Body Shape (Alan Thrall)"
    ^Can't post the actual video URL because I don't have 50 posts.

The deadlift form for you that may be the safest or most "correct" is most likely not going to look the same as my "correct" deadlifting form (I'm a full foot shorter than you). Just something to bear in mind.

xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's probably bad form, but even then it's odd you feel an intense and sharp pain.
    Regardless, you definitely should stop doing them, whatever the cause is. Look for alternative exercises, like you're doing.