bergignon is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pull-ups number decrease significantly

Hi !

I have been training pull ups for a few months, and i tested my max on a bar recently and I hit 9, which is very good for me especially because I was wearing pretty heavy clothes which make me think I can do around 11-12 normally.

The thing is that the way I train my pull ups is 4x4 ( getting to 4x5 was at 4-4-5-5 before this whole mess ) with 5 pounds added. Everything was going fine until I plateaued for a week or two. Around that time I know that I was doing a lot of pull ups on my rest days too which definitly was very bad for my recovery but I still doubt it explains why the problem lasts till now.

Last week, I was getting frustrated because my pull-ups and dips both plateaud, when other movements were all progressing super fast. I was told to deload which I did. Over the week I trained twice and cut the volume and intensity in half.

Today I came back and guess what, every single movement feels amazing, even my dips which were plateauing, except for the pull ups. I barely did 2x5 with no weight.

So I made a post about all of this on another website and people told my yeah check your nutrition and sleep and bla bla bla and everything is in check. I know because of the fatigue I might have accumulated with all the pullups and no rest I might have been overtraining that movement a bit but right now I don't know what to do. I'M thinking to stop pull ups for a week right now but I have no idea what to really do. By the way I train full body one day out of two and generally come back stronger every session. Every movement is 4x5 and 3 minutes between sets.

I am 14 and a guy and I weight 112lbs for 5'5/5'6 ( I know I'm underweight but I started out at 90lbs )

Thank you in advance for the advice and sorry for the length of the post

EDIT : Forgot to mention that I have been training outside on rings which is a big change since I worked out inside with a pull up bar before

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ring pull-ups are more difficult than with a bar.

You've gained 22lbs.

Pull-ups are hard to progress at the best of times.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Ring pull-ups are more difficult than with a bar.

You've gained 22lbs.

Pull-ups are hard to progress at the best of times.
    Yeah but why is it that when I first put my rings I would do around 10 unweighted. Should I take a break from them to let my body fully recover ?

Also sorry if I sound rude English isn't my first language

EDIT : I also tried my max on the bar and I could do 6

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It may be that that first time was a really good day. Or that you were really excited because it was your first time on rings. Or today was a really bad day.

Honest answer: I don't know.

Real honest answer: It doesn't matter. Just keep going.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You have basically honed your neural efficiency to a point that it might be hard to improve further...

You may find it hard to get much further without making a conscious effort to gain muscle in your lats and biceps.

To do that, just do more sets without constantly hitting failure. Do that 3x a week or so.

Most importantly eat some protein rich foods - enough to gain weight. This sounds contradictory - but some of the best people at pullups are pretty hefty guys

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    It may be that that first time was a really good day. Or that you were really excited because it was your first time on rings. Or today was a really bad day.

Honest answer: I don't know.

Real honest answer: It doesn't matter. Just keep going.
    Ok so I think what I'll do is start at 2x5 and add a set until I hit 4x5 then at that point put the weight again.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You have basically honed your neural efficiency to a point that it might be hard to improve further...

You may find it hard to get much further without making a conscious effort to gain muscle in your lats and biceps.

To do that, just do more sets without constantly hitting failure. Do that 3x a week or so.

Most importantly eat some protein rich foods - enough to gain weight. This sounds contradictory - but some of the best people at pullups are pretty hefty guys
    So you think I should train hypertrophy ? I heard that it can be beneficial for strength training. Should I try a 3x8 rep scheme or something like that ? If so, for how long and should I do it for all my movements ?

On the nutrition side for exemple I just ate a three eggs + two slices of bacon with cheese and two toasts for lunch

Originally Posted by bergignon View Post
    So you think I should train hypertrophy ? I heard that it can be beneficial for strength training. Should I try a 3x8 rep scheme or something like that ? If so, for how long and should I do it for all my movements ?

On the nutrition side for exemple I just ate a three eggs + two slices of bacon with cheese and two toasts for lunch
    In the end all I want is to get back to my normal pull up strength because IDK why I am stuck at 50% power

Originally Posted by ben3188 View Post
    I do think rings are a lot harder, should test the difference between rings and normal
    6 on the bar i use to do 9 . All i want is to know what to do to fix it
    Last edited by bergignon; 05-30-2020 at 05:39 PM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bergignon View Post

Yes.

But that doesn't automatically mean a specific rep range. It just means you do more volume - by which I mean more hard sets. The rep count doesn't matter - in fact you have no choice with pullups if a set of 5 is already hard for you. You just take each set to 1-3 reps before failure - and keep track of the total sets you do in a week.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yes.

But that doesn't automatically mean a specific rep range. It just means you do more volume - by which I mean more hard sets. The rep count doesn't matter - in fact you have no choice with pullups if a set of 5 is already hard for you. You just take each set to 1-3 reps before failure - and keep track of the total sets you do in a week.
    Ok sorry for being annoying but in that case how could I go back to my previous strength and get back to the two digits pull ups

EDIT : Like I know some of the basics of training but I am still very unexperienced and I haven’t quite got to the place where I can correctly listen to my body and know what’s best for me and my recovery. All I know is that I can’t have lost strength and I don’t know what’s holding it back

bemegc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gaining strength and mass doesn't happen in a linear fashion, and you definitely need to gauge your body and adjust to how you feel on a given day. You won't break PRs in every workout.
    Until you learn to correctly listen to your body it will be trial and error to a large extent. That only comes with experience.