gridsmart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Must. Not. Give up

I'm 51 years and 5 months, and packing 208.4 lbs. My knees are creaky and painful. I lack stamina, and fatigue easily. I am prediabetic. And elevated cholesterol. I came to bodybuilding.com in 2015, at 203 lbs, eager to lose weight and get fit, but ofc, 5 years later, and soooooo many diets, and sooooo many start-and-quit exercise programs, I am further away from my goals than I was then.

I must, simply must shed this weight and get my numbers back in a healthy range. Any advice to keep me going, that I can get, I'll take it. My new goal is to be 170 lbs by Jan 2021, for my 52nd birthday, BUT I'd like to push for 100 days of commitment, beginning on June 1st. I really hope this is my once and for all attempt.
    Gridsmart2004

OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "It doesn't matter how slowly you go, as long as you Don't Stop"

You've tried jumping headfirst into this and found the results start/quit/start/quit. Don't repeat what didn't work before.

Only make small changes, lots of little nudges and no sudden changes, only do one change/nudge at the same time and get established in that first before doing the next thing.

Start with diet first (just try small changes to eat better quality healthier food). Then after the small change has become established look at (sensible now, nothing extreme) portion size. Only once you've made a little progress worry about exercise programs after that.

When you get to exercise, don't try to do the "best" exercise plan, try to find something you enjoy be open minded and adventurous in what you try. Exercise needs to be a hobby not a punishment. You might surprise yourself in what you discover you like. Also don't neglect the simple like just walking (start short/tiny walks and very gradually increase over a long time)

Good luck. Most of all... keep it enjoyable!!
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gridsmart View Post
    I'm 51 years and 5 months, and packing 208.4 lbs. My knees are creaky and painful. I lack stamina, and fatigue easily. I am prediabetic. And elevated cholesterol. I came to bodybuilding.com in 2015, at 203 lbs, eager to lose weight and get fit, but ofc, 5 years later, and soooooo many diets, and sooooo many start-and-quit exercise programs, I am further away from my goals than I was then.

I must, simply must shed this weight and get my numbers back in a healthy range. Any advice to keep me going, that I can get, I'll take it. My new goal is to be 170 lbs by Jan 2021, for my 52nd birthday, BUT I'd like to push for 100 days of commitment, beginning on June 1st. I really hope this is my once and for all attempt.
    Do you know why the diets didn't stick? Do you know why you quit your exercise programs?

There are a lot of success stories on this site. They didn't all go about it the same way. But they do have one thing in common -- they didn't quit.

What do you need to keep you from quitting?
    I'm out, standing in my field.

64 and still a newbie.

startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) startingat56 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    most people in here would agree that as much as some people hate working out, we in here hate NOT working out

people who want to make the lifestyle changes, who know they should make the lifestyle changes, need to understand that there is a formula to lifestyle change.

You need to commit to a program (whatever you choose). You have to force yourself to do it sometimes, but you need to not quit as stated above. After a period of time your body adapts, you realize positive results , it becomes easier, and ultimately you break through that wall.

if you document what you do, you know where you are. If you don't document what you do, you will lie to yourself, or at least fool yourself. I use pen and paper and document everything I do in each workout. I know what I need to do each day, and what I did the last time.

Diet is the same. I used to think I could not have my fast food lunch without a giant Pepsi. After I quit drinking Pepsi, I now cannot stand it, and don't know how I ever drank it. Habit is why we consume most of what we consume. Habit is why we think we are hungry when we really are not hungry. I seldom am really hungry, mainly because I eat with a purpose, and with knowledge.

OFT says it very will above. Make small goals, achieve them, amend those goals with a purpose. Read all the threads of interest.

Pain, fatigue, health issues ... you can take over the counter sh!t to alleviate the issues .... or .... you can improve diet, and use exercise to eliminate those issues. There are lots of over the counter things to take to make life more bearable, but nothing compares with the pride, confidence, genuine great health, and true enjoyment of the lifestyle change. There is no high out there that compares to achieving personal bests.

and don't allow others negativity to hold you back ..... eff those people
    I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
    (Marshall McLuhan)

xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You won't get anything for free, without effort.
    If you want the results bad enough, you'll do what it takes.

BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBryan098 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Consistency is key. Being healthy or fit is not a thing you do on and off. It's a lifestyle. What happens if you stop training and start eating how you were after those 100 days? The answer is kinda obvious.

Nutrition is the most important thing if you wanna lose body fat. The problem with most diets is that once you stop doing them, you go back to eating how you were before. You'll just gain back all of the fat you lost. Sometimes you'll gain even more than what you had before, especially if you did a crash diet.

Go on a cut if your goal is to lose fat. Read the stickies from the how to lose body fat section here in the forums. A summarize tho, you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Up your water and protein intake (do at least .8 x your ideal bodyweight in grams of protein).