tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

179 lbs, my heaviest weight in over 2 years!

I was 179 lbs this morning with a weekly average of 177 lbs both of which are the heaviest in over two years. I am done with my winter gaining phase but instead of cutting to mid 160’s for summer like I did the last two years I may just maintain below 180 moving forward.

When I started this fitness journey 3 1/2 years ago I just wanted to be healthy. I enjoyed the process and kept going with it to drop from 228 pounds and ended up fairly lean for a guy in his 50’s who had been overweight for 20 years.

At this point my emphasis is much more on general health than physique related and my blood pressure, cholesterol, and resting heart rate have never been lower. I only have a hint of abs but like the feeling of being more filled out. My face is less sunken, and at this weight i don’t have loose skin hanging from my overweight days like I do when I get leaner. And last but not least I get to enjoy desert with my family every night.

My workouts are more or less in maintenance mode as well only lifting twice per week with another day of cardio. But still making progress on some lifts and tonight set an all time PR for 3 sets of 8 in squats.

Just thought I would give an update for the friends of mine since I only check in here every few months anymore. Glad to see it looks like everyone is doing well!

Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    rep +1!

ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's excellent news and your lat spread is looking terrific. Finding the joy in long-term and sustainable training is truly what is "optimal". Thanks for the encouraging update, keep at it.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good work! especially on the BP and resting HR. My HR is decent but BP is only under control with meds, even though I was down to 165 last summer the change was not good enough to be off them, chalk it up to crappy genes from my Dads side I guess, half of them did not make it to 60. I have been as low as 163 (from 190) and currently sit at 171 and feel better filled out a little bit, wife says I look gaunt at the lower weight.
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Better and better, Troy! Wow!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looking good as always!

I know what you mean about the sunken look.

I've been at 180 pounds for a few months now and don't want to cut until the gym reopens. Feel great in a shirt, but wish I had abs.

Did you ever get rid of the lower belly fat? I ask because I know when you first cut you didn't get rid of it completely, before switching to a bulk. I did exactly the same thing after 9 months of cutting, so I was just curious whether you did get rid of it eventually, or have learned to live with it :-)

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    My face is less sunken, and at this weight
    Someone on a ******** group that I belong to asked how to lose weight in his face He claimed near single digit BF with abs but wanted a thinner face. This might be a glass is half full rationalization, but I like the little extra weight I carry now (averaging ~174 or so) because I no longer look like a POW.

Lookin' good Troy. I don't know if you want to adopt this practice or not, but if I overeat during the weekend, I don't need to get on the scale to tell me that I've gained weight. I just cut back and eat below maintenance for a few days and then weigh again when I think I'm returning to my preferred weight. The scale will then tell me if I need a few more deficit days or not.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You look great!!
    On the list for Bannukah

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    Did you ever get rid of the lower belly fat? I ask because I know when you first cut you didn't get rid of it completely, before switching to a bulk. I did exactly the same thing after 9 months of cutting, so I was just curious whether you did get rid of it eventually, or have learned to live with it :-)
    Thanks!

No I didn’t get rid of the lower belly fat completely. Here was my 2nd cut at my leanest, if you look around the naval you can see some of that “old man flab” that is very difficult to get rid of in your fifties. Probably in your forties also but it definitely gets worse as we age. Now my face and legs lose the fat and it remains on my waist. I won’t go any leaner than I was in the pic, however, because of the sunken face and loose skin.

In full disclosure of being my heaviest weight in over two years I am also including a somewhat relaxed shirtless pic from last night. I am 15 lbs heavier than the other pic, no tan, no pump, reduced workout frequency etc... Really the look in the end of cut pic is temporary with the tan and staying that lean would not be easy for me to sustain. Most guys seem to be enamored with having abs but I like the feel and look of being more filled out. Yes a softer look and only a hint of abs but just as healthy and I can eat what I want more or less.
    Attached Images
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

No I didn’t get rid of the lower belly fat completely. Here was my 2nd cut at my leanest, if you look around the naval you can see some of that “old man flab” that is very difficult to get rid of in your fifties. Probably in your forties also but it definitely gets worse as we age. Now my face and legs lose the fat and it remains on my waist. I won’t go any leaner than I was in the pic, however, because of the sunken face and loose skin.
    Thanks, it's interesting to know. I still have the lower belly fat, in fact it's worse now as I've been slow bulking for the last 12 months. But I would love to get rid of it eventually (planning to cut when the gym reopens and I can lift heavy again). Just like you, the fat melts off everywhere else but I'm still left with this lower belly fat, almost like it's been transplanted from someone else's body!

Really the look in the end of cut pic is temporary with the tan and staying that lean would not be easy for me to sustain. Most guys seem to be enamored with having abs but I like the feel and look of being more filled out. Yes a softer look and only a hint of abs but just as healthy and I can eat what I want more or less.
    Agreed, constantly being hungry and walking around with a face like Skelator is most likely not sustainable long term. I see people like Jeff Cavalier do it, but I think it's different if it's what you do for a living, rather than a hobby. Given you most likely don't walk around shirtless very often, I think the "fuller" look is better day to day.
    Last edited by MrCarrot; 05-31-2020 at 03:21 PM.