Thread: Vacuum stomach

Coffee_Gal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Vacuum stomach

Hello. For the past few months I have been trying out the vacuum stomach move (mostly to to help strengthen my postpartum stomach back up). However, I am unsure if you continue to not breathe once you let all the air out? That’s what I have been doing (not breathing at all) and I wasn’t sure if this is wrong. I have watched videos but they do not say. So here is what I do: I let out all the air in my lungs, bring my belly button as far in as it can go (towards my spine) and I hold it for as long as I can before letting go and taking a new breath. Is that correct? It does seem to be stitching my separated abs back together- which is amazing. It gives me hope that I can have some sort of body after children haha. Any positive advice or other moves to help postpartum abs would be wonderful, thank you ☺️.
    ~I want to be beautiful, from inside TO the outside~

Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Daniel1836 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My experience with vacuums is they strengthen your ability to suck your stomach in, I didn't lose inches on my waist or anything.
    You can have a fit body after children from diet and exercise not from stomach vacuums.

I am doing it to help repair the separation of abdominals that occurs during pregnancy (diastasis recti). Not to lose inches although that would be nice : ). I am working out everything of course and doing plenty of cardio (alongside eating right). Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by Daniel1836 View Post
    My experience with vacuums is they strengthen your ability to suck your stomach in, I didn't lose inches on my waist or anything.
    You can have a fit body after children from diet and exercise not from stomach vacuums.

colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000) colontos is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Coffee_Gal View Post
    Hello. For the past few months I have been trying out the vacuum stomach move (mostly to to help strengthen my postpartum stomach back up). However, I am unsure if you continue to not breathe once you let all the air out? That’s what I have been doing (not breathing at all) and I wasn’t sure if this is wrong. I have watched videos but they do not say. So here is what I do: I let out all the air in my lungs, bring my belly button as far in as it can go (towards my spine) and I hold it for as long as I can before letting go and taking a new breath. Is that correct? It does seem to be stitching my separated abs back together- which is amazing. It gives me hope that I can have some sort of body after children haha. Any positive advice or other moves to help postpartum abs would be wonderful, thank you ☺️.
    This is the same way I do it. Exhale completely, suck in belly, hold for 20 seconds, release. Usually do that about 5 times, resting a minute or two between reps. Been doing it for over a year, 3x a week, and have seen good results.

Sometimes I will also do standing ab twists with a band while doing the vacuums to hit obliques.

Thank you so much for this! That is how I sort of do it and I also try to flex as hard as I can at times with sucking. I am trying to stitch myself back together without surgery. It seems to have really helped the gap issue. Appreciate your feedback.

Originally Posted by colontos View Post
    This is the same way I do it. Exhale completely, suck in belly, hold for 20 seconds, release. Usually do that about 5 times, resting a minute or two between reps. Been doing it for over a year, 3x a week, and have seen good results.

Sometimes I will also do standing ab twists with a band while doing the vacuums to hit obliques.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did you have a C section?
    You said stitching so thats the way i perceived it.
    If you have some separation then maybe the advice of a physical therapist would be the best.
    About the ab vacuum in general,sucking pulling stomach into the hollow position works the intra abdominals below the surface abdominals.
    Basically done right these will help the general out line of the abs around the rib cage.
    Wether they can "stitch' things together that another issue unless your just using that as an analogy.
    Very hard to breath while in full vacuum without losing it.
    Two ways to do them are holds like described about or reps where you breath out vacuum hold for a second or two and repeat for many reps.
    Make sure when you breath out your back to non vacuum you bear down and flex the abdominals each time.
    A good movement rarely done these days .
    Good luck.