Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Cooking @ Home vs Fast Food: Which is the cheaper option?

The answer is obvious to anyone who isn't brain dead, but in years past the argument was that poor people could only afford to eat unhealthy options, that somehow McDonalds was cheaper than buying groceries and cooking for yourself.

You know, because Poor people couldn't be at fault, it couldn't be their own choices which cause them to eat unhealthy fast food more frequently than healthier options.

... one thing with this quarantine, I expect most of us are cooking more for ourselves. Does anyone still maintain unhealthy choices are cheaper than taking time and cooking for yourself at home?
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

- Arthur Schopenhauer

ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ymer has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I cook my own food daily.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Variations of risotto/paella, where you throw whatever cheap meat/fish/poulty and veg that you can find in with the rice, is far cheaper than fast food.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JaegerBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Homemade is exponentially less expensive (and better for you) and it's not even close. Beans (and legumes/seeds in general), rice, pasta, oatmeal, etc. are the most versatile, cost-efficient way to get your caloric/nutritional needs by far. Even most veggies are pretty cheap if you know how and where to shop. Protein is really cheap, too, if you buy in bulk and freeze, especially if you buy when it's marked for clearance/reduced due to storage/expiration issue.
    My skinnyfat transformation: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165289671

IF 23/1 crew
    INTJ crew
    Buddhist crew
    ADHD crew
    Pescatarian crew
    S: 295 ATG B: 275 DL: 455 OHP: 200

BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've always wondered about this as well. Maybe if you're buying 8 $1 burgers for a family of four. I still eat out, including fast food, but it's only because I don't want to deplete the stock that I have at home. The stores here have lines out the door and you have to wait so I try to avoid it as much as possible. If I happen to be out I'll probably call in an order and pick it up. I had to go to the office for a bit today, so I picked up a hot French baguette at a bakery with no line, so I'll figure out something to do with that tonight. /deardiary
    Be the dog Iceman thinks he has
    Seinfeld crew
    Costco crew
    Golf crew
    Watch crew
    MAGA

DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DumpsterFire has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My girlfriend is puerto rican so rice and beans are already a staple of my diet. Add some chicken or beef/turkey into that and it makes for some inexpensive and tasty meals.

Although my girlfriend is hangin with my kid at my mom's place tonight so im slamming a. $5 biggie bag as i type
    **Drinks colon cleanse for fun crew**

DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DeshaunWatson has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Itโ€™s also because theyโ€™re lazy, so they settle for fast food.
    -Ethering Kings Founder & CEO
    -MAGA since day 1 crew
    -G43x crew
    -PureBlood Crew #DeltaSurvivor

*****HayZues Christi is a poor liberal LMAO*****

shook Trump's hand and never washing it again crew

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    Variations of risotto/paella, where you throw whatever cheap meat/fish/poulty and veg that you can find in with the rice, is far cheaper than fast food.
    This.

deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deepfat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    made some brazilian cheese bread from scratch for my neighbors today. Needless to say they were more than stoked.
    *SillieBazzillie isn't that bad of a guy Crew*
    *STEM Master Race*
    *Fly Navy Crew*
    *Always Pick 5 Crew*
    *STL Cardinals/Blues/MIZ-ZOU Crew*

Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Maestro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Halfway View Post
    The retarded argument usually compares whole foods fresh greens to the dollar value menu, then you get muh food deserts thrown in without an ounce of introspection
    ....but its true. The op is correct if you're only eating rice and beans 24/7/365, but if you're buying fresh produce (especially for a family of 4) that chit can get expensive real quick. Fresh fruits and vegetables will expire in about a weeks time and are not as calorie dense so even if they are cheap you're buying so much more of it.

Also, food deserts are a real thing as well. They are usually incredibly rural or high crime areas where your typical grocery store cannot exist to make a profit so only fast food and gas stations exist. When I lived in New Mexico i witnessed it first hand in a town called Springer. It's a literal ghost town.
    Last edited by Maestro; 05-22-2020 at 05:19 PM.

ั€ัƒััะบะธะน ะฐะณะตะฝั‚ Stizzel's Avatar
    Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Stizzel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've been grilling a lot but my favorite pho place just reopened so i went out tonight
    Official misc attachรฉ to the Kremlin
    ะะฐัˆะต ะดะตะปะพ ะฟั€ะฐะฒะพะต.
    ะ’ั€ะฐะณ ะฑัƒะดะตั‚ ั€ะฐะทะฑะธั‚.
    ะŸะพะฑะตะดะฐ ะฑัƒะดะตั‚ ะทะฐ ะฝะฐะผะธ!

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Rotisserie whole Chicken $6
    A dozen eggs $2

There is your average person maintenance or even a bulk right there for $8 per day, and this is on Long Island NY, expensive part.

Carnivore diet LOL, go for it, and take a multi...

NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    ....but its true. The op is correct of you're only eating rice and beans 24/7/365, but if you're buying fresh produce (especially for a family of 4) that chit can get expensive real quick. Fresh fruits and vegetables will expire in about a weeks time and are not as calorie dense so even if they are cheap you're buying so much more of it.

Also, food deserts are a real thing as well. They are usually incredibly rural or high crime areas where your typical grocery store cannot exist to make a profit so only fast food and gas stations exist. When I loved in New Mexico i witnessed it first hand in a town called Springer. It's a literal ghost town.
    Some of these places are lucky to have a Dollar General as their grocery store and of course no fresh anything there.

DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    This.
    Rice
    Frozen peas
    Cheap frozen fish (alaskan pollock or similar)
    Chicken stock cube
    Garlic

~$1 per portion

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BigRangs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    ....but its true. The op is correct of you're only eating rice and beans 24/7/365, but if you're buying fresh produce (especially for a family of 4) that chit can get expensive real quick. Fresh fruits and vegetables will expire in about a weeks time and are not as calorie dense so even if they are cheap you're buying so much more of it.

Also, food deserts are a real thing as well. They are usually incredibly rural or high crime areas where your typical grocery store cannot exist to make a profit so only fast food and gas stations exist. When I loved in New Mexico i witnessed it first hand in a town called Springer. It's a literal ghost town.
    But these people aren't buying dollar items, they're buying supersized combos and chit.
    Be the dog Iceman thinks he has
    Seinfeld crew
    Costco crew
    Golf crew
    Watch crew
    MAGA

AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Certainly there is personal responsibility that goes into it. If you want something bad enough you will make the extra effort to try to make it possible. But itโ€™s not simply an economic issue as our society as a whole has a poor relationship with food. Obesity isnโ€™t limited to the lower economic classes.

A few factors that do play into it:
    -often times grocery stores are further away or difficult to reach via public transit, especially by bringing home multiple bags of food
    -going to the grocery store for the week may be cheaper in the long run, but for someone living paycheck to paycheck it may be easier to buy $5 of fast food rather than $50 in groceries at a time. This is solved by planning, but could be complicated.
    -working multiple part time jobs makes it difficult to grocery shop/cook at home
    -lack of a proper pantry and cookware
    -poor nutritional education
    -addiction to sugar/fatty foods

Telling someone how to cook cheaply is like telling them how to save for a rainy day. What makes the most sense on paper doesnโ€™t always play out when life gets in the way.

AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AlwaysFocus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I mean time is money, we make alot at home but also get takeout once in awhile. But thats from restuarants or Pho places.

Some of it is a rip off, but some is not. Definitely do not eat "fast food" as a dinner though, if anything its in a pinch for convenience in a time when I might be rushed.

z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Eating out is always more expensive relative to the same food, but unhealthy food, per calorie, on average, is cheaper. You can buy 3 pounds of pasta for $2, that's like 4800 calories. Try seeing how many calories from fresh vegetables you can get for $2.
    djt = light
    light = divine truth

transitive law: if a is equal to b and b is equal to c, then a is equal to c

Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NYPat View Post
    Some of these places are lucky to have a Dollar General as their grocery store and of course no fresh anything there.
    Some of you watch waaaaay too many movies.

AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) AriGhold has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Dave22reborn View Post
    Some of you watch waaaaay too many movies.
    Help us out. Go door to door on your next shift. We can come up with poll questions and get to the bottom of this.

Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave22reborn has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by z4v4 View Post
    Eating out is always more expensive relative to the same food, but unhealthy food, per calorie, on average, is cheaper. You can buy 3 pounds of pasta for $2, that's like 4800 calories. Try seeing how many calories from fresh vegetables you can get for $2.
    Cut out the booze and cigarettes then, now whats the excuse?

Originally Posted by AriGhold View Post
    Help us out. Go door to door on your next shift. We can come up with poll questions and get to the bottom of this.
    I'm talking about the lack of grocery stores.

One year in, has Whole Foods helped fix one of Chicagoโ€™s toughest neighborhoods?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...E-5F86E81714D2

Have organic veggies, a full butcherโ€™s case and stacks of sparkling LaCroix at Whole Foods helped transform one of Chicagoโ€™s poorest and most violent neighborhoods?

Itโ€™s been one year sinceย the long-anticipated Whole Foods Market opened in Englewood, a contributor, mostly through gang activity, to Chicagoโ€™sย infamously high murder ranking. Itโ€™s also home for hard-working families struggling to thrive in a โ€œfood desertโ€ that lacked supermarkets much beyond the couple of grocery aisles in the drugstore or liquor store.

NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NYPat has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Dave22reborn View Post
    I'm talking about the lack of grocery stores.

One year in, has Whole Foods helped fix one of Chicagoโ€™s toughest neighborhoods?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...E-5F86E81714D2

Have organic veggies, a full butcherโ€™s case and stacks of sparkling LaCroix at Whole Foods helped transform one of Chicagoโ€™s poorest and most violent neighborhoods?

Itโ€™s been one year sinceย the long-anticipated Whole Foods Market opened in Englewood, a contributor, mostly through gang activity, to Chicagoโ€™sย infamously high murder ranking. Itโ€™s also home for hard-working families struggling to thrive in a โ€œfood desertโ€ that lacked supermarkets much beyond the couple of grocery aisles in the drugstore or liquor store.
    Probably still out of their price range. Just a guess.

A local teacher told the Tribune that he sees teachers, cops, social workers and people aimed at โ€œgentrifyingโ€ the neighborhood shopping when he shops there, but doesnโ€™t feel itโ€™s yet the go-to for locals.

StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) StoliFun has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cooking at home is cheaper. It is also rather less convenient and requires planning and skill, and many people dont live in bourgeois communities like many of us where we are only a few miles away from multiple supermarkets, farmers markets, farm stands, etc. Grocery shopping can become a lot less convenient when you live in the ghetto and rely on the bus.
    Heterologously Vaccinated Superior Race Crew

Kurt Russell, Ray Winstone, Mickey Rourke Crew

"The dominant economic order rests on unofficial dependency and official individualism. Survival requires the transposition of these two ideas: official solidarity and unofficial individualism."

Originally Posted by NYPat View Post
    Probably still out of their price range. Just a guess.
    They have a Food 4 Less as well, now what?

Also, they're given one of the best grocery stores, and you still have excuses?

Originally Posted by StoliFun View Post
    Cooking at home is cheaper. It is also rather less convenient and requires planning and skill, and many people dont live in bourgeois communities like many of us where we are only a few miles away from multiple supermarkets, farmers markets, farm stands, etc. Grocery shopping can become a lot less convenient when you live in the ghetto and rely on the bus.
    Latino neighborhoods are filled with farmers markets, they made it happen.

And I just provided an example of 2 grocery stores being in a neighborhood that is 20 square blocks.

Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JUSA View Post
    The answer is obvious to anyone who isn't brain dead, but in years past the argument was that poor people could only afford to eat unhealthy options, that somehow McDonalds was cheaper than buying groceries and cooking for yourself.

You know, because Poor people couldn't be at fault, it couldn't be their own choices which cause them to eat unhealthy fast food more frequently than healthier options.

... one thing with this quarantine, I expect most of us are cooking more for ourselves. Does anyone still maintain unhealthy choices are cheaper than taking time and cooking for yourself at home?
    A McDouble costs about $1.50. Tell us, can you make a burger for $1.50? How about $5?

A burger made at home is technically cheaper than one bought from McDonald's, but you're not thinking critically. You can't go to the store and buy 3oz of beef, one bun, two slices of cheese, a slice of pickle, and 1/4th ounce of minced onion, and one tablespoon of mayo, mustard and ketchup. No, you need to buy $15 worth of ingredients, and then you need to take time to cook it, and you have to know what you're doing, or it will taste like shyt. Also, junk food and fast food is all fortified, trying to get all of your micronutrient needs from a wholesome organic meal on the cheap is almost impossible.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I make casseroles with healthy ingredients, like: chopped fresh baked chicken breasts, leg or thigh, non-fat cream of mushroom soup, chopped onion, low-fat mozzarella and I change up some other ingredients and bake. Or, I will make enough lasagna sauce to last all week and make different dishes in the week with pastas, rice, pizza, lasagna. Or, make fresh black beans or pintos, mash them myself, make fresh guacamole, fry some good yellow corn tortillas, make fresh pico de gallo and eat meatless or add some taco meat.

I throw in some veggies. Much less spend than going out, but takes planning.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    I make casseroles with healthy ingredients, like: chopped fresh baked chicken breasts, leg or thigh, non-fat cream of mushroom soup, chopped onion, low-fat mozzarella and I change up some other ingredients and bake. Or, I will make enough lasagna sauce to last all week and make different dishes in the week with pastas, rice, pizza, lasagna. Or, make fresh black beans or pintos, mash them myself, make fresh guacamole, fry some good yellow corn tortillas, make fresh pico de gallo and eat meatless or add some taco meat.

I throw in some veggies. Much less spend than going out, but takes planning.
    If you like cooking, try fabada. Proper man food.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    If you like cooking, try fabada. Proper man food.
    I do and I will. Thanks.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.