proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Doing Fierce 5 w/adjustments?

Due to many experienced posters recommending I do a routine that has already been tried and tested rather than the routine I am currently doing, I will attempt to switch over to the Fierce 5 in hopes of seeing better gains.

My current routine

3 day split
    ----------------------

Mon (Push)

Overhead Press x 7 sets
    Incline Bench Press 5 sets
    [Pull-Ups x 3 sets
    One arm lateral raises x 3 sets (only on the left arm)]

Wed (Pull)

Barbell Row x 8 sets
    [Pull Ups x 4 sets
    One arm lateral raises x 3 sets (only on the left arm)]

Fri (Legs)

Deadlifts x 7 sets
    Squats x 5 sets

----------------------

I do light ab work for about 5-10min before every session.

Averaging around 2.5 minutes of rest per set although I am reducing that rest period to increase intensity.

Fierce 5 w/adjustments

I want to try Fierce 5 although due to lack of equipment and a desire to emphasize the shoulders/back, would doing this workout suffice?

(I only have a barbell, a rack, ~250lbs. of weight, and an adjustable bench)
    (bolded terms = exercises I've modified from the normal routine)
    (question mark after pull ups is due to my inability of doing very many currently)
    (will due face pulls as soon as my Uni's gym reopens)

*light ab work/stretching before every workout

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Barbell Rows 5x8
    Pull Ups 3x?/One arm lateral raises 3x15 Superset

Workout B
    Front Squat 3x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Conventional Deadlift 5x8
    Pull Ups 3x? (any grip)
    Reverse Flies 2x15/One arm lateral raises 3x15 Superset

rather than

Workout A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Barbell Rows 3x8
    Face Pulls 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B
    Front Squat 3x5
    Overhead Press 3x5
    Romanian Deadlift 3x8
    Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
    Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset

For those that don't know, Fierce 5 requires you to alternate between workout A and B for 3 non consecutive days of the week. If you start with workout A during the first week, you will need to start workout B during the second week etc etc.

Reasons for the adjustments include not having equipment to do face pulls, having big enough calves relative to my body, and wanting to target shoulders and back more than any other muscle group.

As you can see from the adjustments made, the workouts will include more volume overall. Is this new modified fierce 5 routine better than my current routine, if so, WHY? Advice as always would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by proxyfunction; 05-26-2020 at 11:09 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Or you could do F5 as written instead of customizing it to your special needs, but do whatever you want.

Btw you can do face pulls bent over with a plate in each hand.

proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) proxyfunction has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Or you could do F5 as written instead of customizing it to your special needs, but do whatever you want.

Btw you can do face pulls bent over with a plate in each hand.
    There is nothing wrong with having special needs, we all have our unique peculiarities

Seriously though, why not customize? If it makes sense, it makes sense. Does the routine I pose make sense?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by proxyfunction View Post
    There is nothing wrong with having special needs, we all have our unique peculiarities

Seriously though, why not customize? If it makes sense, it makes sense. Does the routine I pose make sense?
    Seriously, do whatever you want. Not doing the whole "convince me I'm wrong if you want me to do something diff" thing again. It's better than your last routine for sure.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Seriously, do whatever you want. Not doing the whole "convince me I'm wrong if you want me to do something diff" thing again. It's better than your last routine for sure.
    I want to know why this routine is better than the previous? With that, I can further learn the nuances of bodybuilding. Lets stay focused now, we are here to help one another.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its fine, you probably won't be able to follow the normal progression scheme on the exercises you increased sets on though. Consider using the progression method in the F5 Upper/lower for the bigger sets.(OHP in particular is going to be a bitch and probably need micro plates sooner than later).

If I remember right Davis only included the arm isolations because he knew people would try to do them anyways so no loss there and you've added mostly to pulling exercises which is usually the opposite of what people do. Maybe change one of the pull ups to chin ups? Look into buying a band to help progress with pull ups/chin-ups if you can only do a few.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

I want to know why this routine is better than the previous? With that, I can further learn the nuances of bodybuilding. Lets stay focused now, we are here to help one another.
    Because your last program was garbage, maybe I was too diplomatic on your other post. My best advice is to run a novice program like F5 as written, progress and build some muscle, and then you can take stock of where you are and customize if necessary at that time. You keep doing things backwards which is why you're spinning your wheels.

By doing things like changing 3x8 RDLs to 5x8 DLs, then adding 2 more sets of OHP before that, after squats already... you're making a good novice program into something you're going to find it hard to progress on for the mistake of thinking that doing more stuff will automatically = more gains. You can always add stuff later after you see what results you're getting. If you don't think that makes sense it's fine by me, no offense taken. In the end, these are your workouts and it's your body, so you should do whatever you want.

NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Scooby seems to have this covered...

There is a set with 1 element. Specialness isn't the point.

NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There is a set with 1 element. Specialness isn't the point.
    The point is that you think you are special because you "cannot" run an established program as written - you want to add volume and "emphasize shoulders and back"

What Scooby is saying is that you just need to focus on building a solid foundation right now - not focus on "emphasizing shoulders and back" or any other particular body part. To do that you should run an established program, as written and give it time to see progress.

If you alter F5 the way that you are proposing, you WILL stall early because of the extra volume and will not make progress... and will probably blame the program (that you weren't actually following because you changed it) and you will hop onto another program... over and over.

Sorry if this sounds harsh - but it's the truth.

Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000) Nelg1993 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Listen up Mr. Special Snowflake, do whatever the f*** you want to do if that makes you happy. No need to look for validation here.

The mere fact that you’re asking all of this is pointing towards you not following the program as written at all. The fact that you’re asking about novice programs means that you are still a novice and you have no bussiness to modify a novice program.

Fierce 5 is a well constructed balanced program made to prolong novice progression and meanwhile preventing you from snapping your **** up. If you want evidence it works: I gained 35lbs on this program starting out bordeline anorexic and went from squatting the bar for 5 measely reps to squatting 225lbs for reps in a little over a year. If I was more consistent and had my diet in order I would’ve made even better gains.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Novice routines are not meant to be messed with. We know what works for novices and even intermediates.

1. Do face pulls with db's if you want. Or just to reverse flies.
    2. A novice's entire body is a weak point. No need to target shoulders and back.
    3. You don't need more volume. Jack up the volume and intensity goes down.

So basically just follow the standard progression that Fierce 5 suggests. FB-U/L-LUPPL. That's the better way to add volume overtime. The guy who wrote the program knows more than we do. I'd take his advise.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree with the previous comments - just do Fierce 5 as-written or it's not Fierce 5. I followed it for 6 months and did reverse flies instead of face pulls due to equipment limitations in my home gym. For a novice/beginner, the volume is perfect.