Thread: Weekend Work?

ᵢ'ᵥₑ gₒₜ cᵤᵣᵥₑₛ... SpeculatorSam's Avatar
    SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Weekend Work?

Hey, I'm considering picking up a weekend job. I currently make 13$/hr at my tradie apprentice job and throughout my reading and watching regarding personal finances I notice some mentioned getting a second job. I'm not sure how to go about doing so.

The details are that I really do look forward to my weekends; that but at the same time it seems that although I do manage to save little money, talking like 80-100$/month, I really would prefer to have more cash flow coming in so I can save more. It's like I save 160$/month but I do keep dipping into my savings.

I am trying things like losing weight so I spend much less on food now, place bill/obligations money in folders in my bedroom so as to visually see and leave alone my needs money, recognizing impulse buys, and trying not to spend money on things that I don't absolutely love and enjoy. Ultimately I'm sure by doing those two things I should see a little more coming in, and I am due for a obligatory six months bump to 15$/hr at my tradie career.

Hoping for some second opinions here. Parents suggest that I read and research some more but they think it'd too much for me. My parents are honest, blunt, and caring; my parents are historically "break-even" when it comes to their money too.

Thanks for reading.
    "I did the best I could knowing what I did. I know better now, therefore I do." - Maya Angelou

"First lesson of life is that life's not fair. Once you've wrapped your mind around that concept, then you can learn to work around life and excel at it." -SpeculatorSam

PRs: 405/265/400x3. Weighted Chin +100lbs, Incline Bench 235lbs. OHP: 172.5lbs. Strict Curl: 107lbs. Good Morning 225 x 5

Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Omnivium has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Imo you should focus on making more money at your full time job. If you were making $20/hour, you could easily save money without even working a second job

If that's not going to happen at your current job, you might need to switch jobs or try to get into a union or something
    *Mechanical Engineering Crew*
    *Misc Crypto Crew*

Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000) Lolip0p is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First you need to use a spreadsheet (google sheets/excel) to figure out your expenses and where you can make cuts. Then use mint.com to track them every week. I also recommend youtube video's on finance to learn about growing and saving money for low income earners. You cannot afford going out at restaurants or cars if you don't have at least 3 months living expenses saved up, 6 months being ideal.

What is your current job exactly and what is your work experience with the trade? Do you have your own tools? How are your connections with clients and does your employer get jobs with them via contracts? The goal should be going at it alone, being a simp and sucking up clients in order undercut jobs from your current employer. This will depend solely on how good your work is and how much clients trust/like you.
    Last edited by Lolip0p; 05-23-2020 at 11:44 PM.

SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Omnivium View Post
    Imo you should focus on making more money at your full time job. If you were making $20/hour, you could easily save money without even working a second job

If that's not going to happen at your current job, you might need to switch jobs or try to get into a union or something
    I'm considering a union, but I do understand that my company may or may not eternally give me the stink eye for doing so I'm definitely due for the six months bump to 15$ though, and the company is known for being very Christian and very accommodating; like I haven't earned the rite to a company tool van yet, but everytime I did an upgrade of an elementary school's speaker system, or a fire alarms install at a construction project my company would hit me with an additional 20-70$ a paycheck depending on the distance away from our home office.

Mileage imbursement on top of overtime bruh. Unfortunately for me, that was before my "financial enlightenment" Those dollars were not saved. "I did the best I could knowing what I did. I know better now, therefore I do". -Maya Angelou

Spoiler!

Originally Posted by Lolip0p View Post
    First you need to use a spreadsheet (google sheets/excel) to figure out your expenses and where you can make cuts. Then use mint.com to track them every week. I also recommend youtube video's on finance to learn about growing and saving money for low income earners. You cannot afford going out at restaurants or cars if you don't have at least 3 months living expenses saved up, 6 months being ideal.

What is your current job exactly and what is your work experience with the trade? Do you have your own tools? How are your connections with clients and does your employer get jobs with them via contracts? The goal should be going at it alone, being a simp and sucking up clients in order undercut jobs from your current employer. This will depend solely on how good your work is and how much clients trust/like you.
    Personally I find that Mint.com's app illustrates the picture for me well enough. That being said, a spreadsheet is a great idea. I do make little notes in my phone or my notepad too, like I noticed I saved 20$ buying more or less the same amount of groceries at a different store; I could be buying the generic brand of certain products.

I have been looking up personal finance articles and videos, but I suppose I could try typing "saving money for low income earners". I was never a big fan of restaraunts, but I would eat fast food even though I already packed a lunch for work. Sorta went full retard there for a few months because I enjoyed eating a lot. I've stopped making that mistake; being 25%bf having to do a long cut now sucks. I think I've built 95% of the muscle I can with my current training volume anyway, so eating more no longer promotes muscle gain for me.

I am a Fire Alarms/Security Systems Installer. I've been pulling low voltage wire with this company for almost four months. I was actually commended for being the most well equipped helper to sign up; already had a habit of putting money away to buy new hand tools or meters when possible so I've buying the certain tools that my company's Home Depot card wont buy. My relationship to the client is I don't talk to them I am a helper that knows not. The higher-ups/founders advertise, speak with potential buyers, and get annual maintenance and upgrade contracts.

I can critically look at my expenses and slowly but surely I do figure out how to adjust it. I am saving money, but I find myself dipping into any savings that isn't my stock portfolio more often than not. I was considering a second job but the more I think about it and the more I speak to my parents about it, a second job just isn't right for me.

Thanks for taking the time to help a degenerate miscer save his money.
    "I did the best I could knowing what I did. I know better now, therefore I do." - Maya Angelou

"First lesson of life is that life's not fair. Once you've wrapped your mind around that concept, then you can learn to work around life and excel at it." -SpeculatorSam

PRs: 405/265/400x3. Weighted Chin +100lbs, Incline Bench 235lbs. OHP: 172.5lbs. Strict Curl: 107lbs. Good Morning 225 x 5

paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You are the master of your own destiny, the captain of your soul. Think of something you can do as a self employed person on the weekend. It can be yardwork, painting, roofing, tree trimming, etc.

Find something that you are good at doing, and do it better than anyone else that is doing the same thing. 8 years ago I started buying rental houses, furnishing them and putting the utilities in my name. I rent them by the week to refinery contractors. There were 4 other people in this town doing the same thing. But I had cable/wifi, there were no empty beer cans all over the floor when someone would look at the house, I had a washer/dryer, there were pots/pans/utensils, a charcoal grill, laundry detergent, soap, etc etc. I even decorated my places like Hugh Hefners mansion. Those 4 other people, they didn't do anything like I did. Those 4 other people aren't doing the furnished rental thing anymore, I've got a monopoly.

Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000) Nacured is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Something like a food delivery driver would be ideal given the current circumstances.

paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000) paulinkansas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can sell your plasma. I think you can do it every 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    You are the master of your own destiny, the captain of your soul. Think of something you can do as a self employed person on the weekend. It can be yardwork, painting, roofing, tree trimming, etc.

Find something that you are good at doing, and do it better than anyone else that is doing the same thing. 8 years ago I started buying rental houses, furnishing them and putting the utilities in my name. I rent them by the week to refinery contractors. There were 4 other people in this town doing the same thing. But I had cable/wifi, there were no empty beer cans all over the floor when someone would look at the house, I had a washer/dryer, there were pots/pans/utensils, a charcoal grill, laundry detergent, soap, etc etc. I even decorated my places like Hugh Hefners mansion. Those 4 other people, they didn't do anything like I did. Those 4 other people aren't doing the furnished rental thing anymore, I've got a monopoly.
    This is what a real one does. My obstacle is actually saving the money to begin with. Apparently in the month of May I spent 200$ on fast food on top of my grocery bill. I'll come back to this idea AFTER I have actually save a few thousand.

Originally Posted by Nacured View Post
    Something like a food delivery driver would be ideal given the current circumstances.
    also a fine idea.

Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heaney is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What trade are you in that you're making 13/hr? During my apprenticeship I was in the 30/hr ballpark for yr 2 and 3

A couple of my renters were from Kansas City, which is 3 hours away. They were IBEW electricians working at the refinery in my town. I think they made $40+ an hour and probably $125 a day per diem. You are sort of an electrical worker already. Perhaps learning to be a full blown electrician might be your best path. I think there is some sort of apprenticeship program with the IBEW.

Originally Posted by Heaney View Post
    What trade are you in that you're making 13/hr? During my apprenticeship I was in the 30/hr ballpark for yr 2 and 3
    Low Voltage Wiring; specializing in Fire Alarms, Security Systems, Speaker Systems, and Cameras. It's an electrical trade. I dunno what the standard of living is where you live, but here in Central Florida the fine folks that've earned their conpany vehicle and their level 1 certs make 18$/hr; more experienced guys definitely make 25%$/hr. I've never asked how much the 25+ years guys make, but what I do know is that our company's Journeyman Electrician has rumored to make 35$/hr and our Electrical Engineer makes enough that he hasn't gotten a tax refund in over 15 years. I know a Lineman that makes 32$/hr where I live.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    A couple of my renters were from Kansas City, which is 3 hours away. They were IBEW electricians working at the refinery in my town. I think they made $40+ an hour and probably $125 a day per diem. You are sort of an electrical worker already. Perhaps learning to be a full blown electrician might be your best path. I think there is some sort of apprenticeship program with the IBEW.
    There is a chapter about an hour away from where I live. I ought to read up on that. I was definitely considering becoming a proper electrician; I think I should spend some time here where I'm at. Build the resume, get some experience pulling wire, show the electrical contractor that I can hold a job and have the brawn and the brain. 8/10 electricians I've worked along side always complimented me on my vigorous efforts, the other 2/10 called my a Fire Alarm Guy... a ***. Lol.

I'm honestly afraid that if I did manage to find somewhere to pay my union dues, be it the IBEW or some sort of Fire/Security union or whatever, the company I work for would hate me and prevent me from moving too far forward. This company is really good about taking care of their employees and acknowledging suggestions and requests; I've heard bad stories about previous employees who were union tho.