jt89888 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Seeking advice/tips

Hello and thanks in advance for all the help.

I am currently 6’2” 180lbs at about 20% body fat. I’m what you would call “skinny fat.”

My goal is to get fit. Not really looking to pack on lbs, just want to convert some fat into muscle. I’m ok at 180-190, but I would like to be at about 10-15% body fat.

I’m going to break down my workout routine and my nutrition intake and I’m basically looking for any tips/advice. All experience and knowledge is welcomed.

Workout routine:

I work a desk job, so I’m in a chair most of the day.

Monday - Chest & HIIT
    - I do about 6 chest exercises (upper, mid, and lower) 3 sets of 15 and a 4th set to failure. Followed by about 15 minutes of HIIT.

Tuesday: Legs & Abs
    - 5 leg exercises, 3 sets of 15 and a 4th set to failure. Followed by 3 ab exercises 3 sets of 15 and a 4th set to failure.

Wednesday: Arms
    - 4 supersets (biceps and triceps), 3 sets of 15 and a 4th set to failure.

Thursday: Shoulders & Abs
    - 5 shoulder exercises, 3 sets of 15 and a 4th set to failure. Followed by 4 ab exercises 3 sets of 15 and a 4th set to failure.

Friday: Back & HIIT
    - 6 Back exercises, 3 sets of 15 and a 4th set to failure. Followed by about 15 minutes of HIIT.

Saturday: HIIT
    - About 15 minutes of HIIT

Sunday: Rest

Nutrition:

Breakfast 8am: Pre-workout (7am) & ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (double chocolate) - 140 calories

Lunch 11:30am: ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (white chocolate), Birds Eye Protein blends vegetable pack (microwaveable), & pre-cooked frozen (grilled) chicken breast. - 590 calories

Snack 2:30 pm: BSN Syntha-6 (peanut butter cookie) - 200 calories

Dinner 5:30 pm: Whatever my wife cooks (usually pretty generally healthy). - 500-750 calories

2nd Snack (right before bed): Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt - 100 calories

Usually 160-180 grams of protein.

Typical Macros: 37% Carbs, 37% Protein, & 25% Fats.
    Last edited by jt89888; 05-22-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Rows Could've Saved Jack Camarija's Avatar
    Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000) Camarija is just really nice. (+1000)
    You have competing objectives.

You want to lose body fat but you also want to gain muscle mass. Pick one.

1. Program

Train each muscle group at least twice a week to maximize muscle growth
    Source:
    Effects of Resistance Training Frequency on Measures of Muscle Hypertrophy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
    Schoenfeld BJ, Ogborn D, Krieger JW

-> Try this program out below. It works very well, and there are hundreds of people on the site who have done the program or are doing it now that can help with any questions you may have:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=159678631

2. Nutrition

If you want to gain muscle, you need to gain weight. To gain weight, you need to eat more calories than are required for maintenance. For gaining weight, aim to gain between ~0.25-0.5% of bodyweight/week.

If you are trying to lose body fat, you need to lose weight. To lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than are required for maintenance. For losing weight, aim to lose between ~0.5-1.0% of bodyweight/week.

A hyper-energetic diet (~10–20%) should be consumed with a target weight gain of ~0.25–0.5% of bodyweight/week for novice/intermediate bodybuilders.
    https://i.ibb.co/9GH4nfy/Table-1.png

optimal amounts 0.40–0.55 g/kg per meal and distributed evenly throughout the day (3–6 meals) including within 1–2 hours pre- and post-training.
    https://i.ibb.co/zGzDFYN/Table-2.png
    Source:
    Nutrition Recommendations for Bodybuilders in the Off-Season: A Narrative Review
    Juma Iraki, Peter Fitschen, Sergio Espinar, and Eric Helms

-> Try this nutrition recommendation below. It helps walk you through the basics of tracking and figuring out what you should be eating, and how much of it is the right amount:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

3. Start a Nutrition and Program Log

This site has subforums where you can start nutrition and workout program logs.

Log everything you eat, log your workouts, and take pictures (and weigh yourself) about once a month after waking up, before eating or drinking anything, and after using the bathroom. Why? It will help keep you honest and serve as good indicators if you're on the right path. Maybe you'll realize you need to eat more or less. Maybe you just need a reminder of the progress you've made. It may be uncomfortable at first, but it will help you achieve your fitness goals.

We're about the same height, so you can see what is realistic if you train smart, eat right, and sleep well.

Good luck!

Date
    Week 1
    January 21, 2020
    Week 16
    May 7, 2020

Weight
    193 lbs 172 lbs

Body Fat %
    ~ 23 % ~ 13 %

Unflexed Front
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Unflexed Side
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Flexed Front
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Flexed Side
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!
    ► Fierce 5 Novice Upper Lower High Frequency Training Log
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177960231&p=1606704581&viewfull=1#post1606704581
    ○ 220 lbs / 32% bf / Oct 11, 2019
    ○ 193 lbs / ~23% bf / Jan 21, 2020
    ◘ 171 lbs / ~13% bf / June 3, 2020

faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) faithbrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you may want to "pack on lbs" first so you can cut back down to 180-190 lbs low bodyfat

plus that sounds like a weird program, super high reps that imply you're not doing compound exercises
    positive crew